IHSAA Minutes Question

decbell1

Assistant Commissioner Robert Faulkens also presented a proposed realignment for the 2017‐18 Wrestling State Tournament for the group’s consideration. The intention is to have this proposal approved in the next spring.

A motion to approve the plans for the 2016‐17 Wrestling State Tournament Series was made by Don Gandy; seconded by Ed Gilliland; motion passed 15‐2 with Richard Lance and Mike Whitten dissenting.

First off-anyone know the details of the proposed changes?

Second- Who in the world are the two guys who voted no? All other sports in this meeting got unanimous votes. Anyone have any insight?

Richard Lance is an assistant principal at Castle

Mike Whitten is a principal at Boonville

From what I can gather from a couple inside and outside sources, the south was shaken up a little bit. I heard miraculously one sectional became drastically weaker...it also has a very "prominent" figure as their coach and he was on the committee too.

I was on the commitee and thought it was a very interesting and fair process. There were a large group of coaches representing each area of the state and a lot of calm discussion took place, and the whole group had to more or less agree. I came into it thinking it would get pretty heated, but everyone really seemed to be working toward doing what was best for the tournament, real calm, a lot of thought and calm discussion went into it. It would have been very hard to make a sectional drastically weaker and have everybody agree.

I can't recall each change, but the changes as a whole seemed pretty fair from what all I remember. Curious what sectional and figure are you referring to? It is pretty inflammatory throwing accusations that coaches are trying to cheat the system out there.

Assistant Commissioner Robert Faulkens also presented a proposed realignment for the 2017‐18 Wrestling State Tournament for the group’s consideration. The intention is to have this proposal approved in the next spring.

A motion to approve the plans for the 2016‐17 Wrestling State Tournament Series was made by Don Gandy; seconded by Ed Gilliland; motion passed 15‐2 with Richard Lance and Mike Whitten dissenting.

First off-anyone know the details of the proposed changes?

Second- Who in the world are the two guys who voted no? All other sports in this meeting got unanimous votes. Anyone have any insight?

There is a proposal to move Regional to North.  That hasn't passed yet.  Regional host assignments not made until after realignment of teams.

Edited by BTaylor

There is a proposal to move Regional to North.  That hasn't passed yet.  Regional host assignments not made until after realignment of teams.

Why would that be on the table. Castle has done a very good job as Regional host for 25+ years.

Very interesting....I would be curious to see the new alignment.  Probably going to affect Jeff sectional.  With Jeff going to wrestling in kentucky or some other weak teams, so they can win a sectional.   Just my opinion.  Without seeing the proposal/

Ahh yes, the good ole' "Wrestle out of state teams to win a state series tournament" strategy. I don't think we've seen that pulled off effectively since at least the 1930's. It's a bold move, but if it pays off, you're the champs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.