2016 Coaches and Officials Panel

Griffith

2016 Coaches and Officials Panel

Monday, December 12, 2016 7:00 PM

Sponsored by St Joseph Valley Athletic Officials’ Association

What:  A Coaches’ and Officials’ Panel discussion concerning high school wrestling.  This is a non-confrontational open discussion and exchange of views on “How we see it from the bench” and “How we see it from the mat”.  This is a tremendous opportunity to get questions answered concerning the current season, address areas to be emphasized for the remainder of the season, engage in open discussions, or just meet other coaches and officials in a setting away from the mat.

Who:  All Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches and Wrestling Officials

When:  Monday, December 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Where:  Beef O Brady’s

12749 Indiana SR 23

Granger, Indiana

What to bring:  You & the coaching staff

It is not required, but if you know you will attend, please drop an e-mail to: Roger Griffith at rogergriffith@frontier.com so we can have an idea of how much food to have at the start of the Panel.  Hope to see you on December 12th!

Edited by Griffith

Thanks to Roger and all the guys at SJVOA for allowing me to represent 'wrestling fans' at the meeting last night.  I have been to many coaches and officials panels before this was and by far the most information and entertaining.  Mr. Faulkens made himself available for any/all topics.  He was unapologetic about his opinions, decisions, and views on the hot topics: stalling, weight management program, class wrestling, # of events per season, wrestle backs, waivers, team state, officials rating system, participation...  I was very impressed with his responses.  He seems to have his finger on the pulse of the wrestling community (I didn't say I agreed with everything he says or thinks).  

He made mention of IndianaMat.com and gave a shout out to Joe!  

Like him or hate him; I think he is a strong advocate for IN wrestling as evidenced by his willingness to attend functions like the meeting last night.

It was something to witness so many HOF members from the wrestling community (and some likely future members), the commissioner, (a few young) officials/coaches, THE MEDIA - Steve Krah (the hardest working man in sports reporting) and one lost fan all in one room. As you would expect, the conversations got heated and a little loud at times (had to pause at times when the young server entered the room).  Best highlight of the night was when the guest speaker 'signaled 1 escape' to The General for overusing a dirty word - 'wrestle backs'...

Edited by awood2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.