Robert Faulkens at the Fort Wayne Coaches and Officials Meeting

Y2CJ41

Tonight the area officials held a meeting with coaches and had a couple speakers including Robert Faulkens. He was very informative and has a very good grasp on wrestling in this state. He is the NFHS(aka rules people) representative for wrestling for our region. 

He has a very good grasp on wrestling in this state and his biggest point of emphasis was to increase participation. He mentioned the change away from singlets which he basically said will be phased out in the next five years. The other area that he was very adamant about was the number of matches and duals teams have. He all, but said that if the coaches and/or IHSWCA doesn't police ourselves and start limiting matches that the IHSAA will step in and do something about it.

It is something that they IHSAA forced upon coaches about 10 years ago with the mandated 4 duals, but looks like it will be taken a step further with the possibility of a match limit before sectional as an example. He also mentioned promotion of the sport in media and even said that there is much less high school coverage of all sports these days.

"He also mentioned promotion of the sport in media..."

Funny...the IHSAA wants more promotion?  They have squashed MANY events/ideas intended to promote wrestling in the state, not to mention hanging on to several idiotic bylaws that prevent our best from getting better and getting national exposure.  I still don't understand why our teams can't compete in big scholastic tournaments because "OTHER SCHOOLS" traveled from too far away.  

"He also mentioned promotion of the sport in media..."

Funny...the IHSAA wants more promotion?  They have squashed MANY events/ideas intended to promote wrestling in the state, not to mention hanging on to several idiotic bylaws that prevent our best from getting better and getting national exposure.  I still don't understand why our teams can't compete in big scholastic tournaments because "OTHER SCHOOLS" traveled from too far away.  

1. Having a high school dual right before a big college dual is a cool thing. The IHSAA can't just change their rules on a whim. It is an old rule and hopefully it can be looked at and updated. Getting your panties in a bunch over it when the rule hasn't been used for many years is fruitless. Having your principal propose a change to this would be the best avenue to get this changed.

2. The travel rule affects ALL sports and hurts individual sports the most. The best way to get this changed is go in with track, cross country, football, and all the sports with a change to this. It's not only a wrestling issue.

but looks like it will be taken a step further with the possibility of a match limit before sectional as an example. 

Did he give a rough estimate of the amount of matches he or the IHSAA thinks wrestlers should have before Sectional?

He was using the 25 number a lot, however towards the end he even said 40 matches is plenty.

I think something like this would be great

17 points
1 point duals(need 5)
2 day events are worth 4 points after the first one
Max matches would be 40 heading into sectional, that is will all duals. If you have a couple tournaments you'd be in the low to mid 30's.

Make the Sectional smaller so teams do not have to waste weigh in points wrestling so many teams for seeding purposes.

I'm not sure I'm following how that would decreased match counts. That would just mean you'd replace the XYZ Sectional Super Dual with another one at Carroll or where ever.

Panties aren't in a bunch Y2.  I just feel like the double talk will truly never end.

December 10 is "basketball day in Indiana."  What a great promotion, I think it's actually really cool.  On this day Center Grove plays Carmel and then Lapel plays New Castle followed by a Pacers game, all at Banker's Life Fieldhouse.  What's the difference in that and a HS wrestling meet followed by a college meet?  

Rule 9-7 of the IHSAA Bylaws:  High school intra-squad scrimmages and athletic contests shall not be conducted as preliminaries, curtain raisers or double headers to non-school sponsored athletic team sport events.  What's the difference?

We use 6 weigh in points strictly on wrestling teams from our sectional (all are multi dual Saturday duals). If we only had to use let's say 2 weigh in points to wrestle sectional opponents, maybe we would use the last 4 points wrestling strictly week night single duals which would cut matches down by 5 matches or so. Atleast that would be the case for my team. With that being said, we rarely have a kid that has wrestled 40-45 matches before sectional. I do not think it has happened in the last 6 seasons.

We use 6 weigh in points strictly on wrestling teams from our sectional (all are multi dual Saturday duals). If we only had to use let's say 2 weigh in points to wrestle sectional opponents, maybe we would use the last 4 points wrestling strictly week night single duals which would cut matches down by 5 matches or so. Atleast that would be the case for my team. With that being said, we rarely have a kid that has wrestled 40-45 matches before sectional. I do not think it has happened in the last 6 seasons.

Your team isn't one he is concerned about. It looks like you guys get about 35 matches before sectional. His concern was more the teams getting 40-45 matches, meaning multiple two-day events. That alongside the lack of duals which isn't exactly helping participation.

Yeah, I was thinking more on why 17 weigh in points would be tough on some teams who try to wrestle all of their sectional teams while trying to get more single duals and wrestling good competition. In some situations 17 weigh in points just would not be enough.

Yeah, I was thinking more on why 17 weigh in points would be tough on some teams who try to wrestle all of their sectional teams while trying to get more single duals and wrestling good competition. In some situations 17 weigh in points just would not be enough.

For most teams it would be an easy update to their schedule. You'd drop one super dual/tournament and add a dual to fix it. With the additional caveat of two day events costing 4 points after the first one there is a hard limit of 40 max matches.

If you keep 18 points and do the two-day event limit you'd have a hard limit of 44 matches. That would require zero changes for most schools.

The 17 was the easiest way to get to a 40 match max limit I could find in a short time.

I really enjoy the weeknight single dual meet. Been trying to think of ways we could rearrange our schedule so we could have more of them while keeping our schedule competitive and wrestle all the teams we have to wrestle for seeding purposes. Have not came up with any solutions as of now.

He was using the 25 number a lot, however towards the end he even said 40 matches is plenty.

I think something like this would be great

17 points
1 point duals(need 5)
2 day events are worth 4 points after the first one
Max matches would be 40 heading into sectional, that is will all duals. If you have a couple tournaments you'd be in the low to mid 30's.

Y2:

I saw a lot of FF's over the weekend at The Castle Invitational.  Our 138 and 132 and two matches in 5 duals.  Those are usually filled weights.   And we all know the story with 106 and 285.  What about not letting FF's count in a match maximum limit?

Y2:

I saw a lot of FF's over the weekend at The Castle Invitational.  Our 138 and 132 and two matches in 5 duals.  Those are usually filled weights.   And we all know the story with 106 and 285.  What about not letting FF's count in a match maximum limit?

Not sure what you are saying, but I'll address both possibilities

Forfeits don't count on your daily allowance of matches. So you can get 6-20 matches in a day if most are forfeits.

If there is a match count and forfeits don't count there really will be no way to get your 106 3 more matches, your 132 one more, your 182 6 more, etc. You'd have to gamble and over schedule by a couple matches in hopes that everyone gets a few forfeits during the year.

Y2:

In Castles pool Tecumseh, South Spencer and Boonville all had wrestlers at 132. At 138 Tecumseh, Boonville, and Harrison had wrestlers. Castle wrestled Union County KY in the final. Did they not have a 132 or 138? Do you know who did not wrestle Castle at 132 or 138 from Boonville, Harrison, or South Spencer?

In Castles pool Tecumseh, South Spencer and Boonville all had wrestlers at 132. At 138 Tecumseh, Boonville, and Harrison had wrestlers. Castle wrestled Union County KY in the final. Did they not have a 132 or 138? Do you know who did not wrestle Castle at 132 or 138 from Boonville, Harrison, or South Spencer?

I stand corrected.  They both had FF's in 40% of their matches Saturday (i.e. they only actually wrestled in 3 of their 5 matches according to their parents).  My son has had FFs in over 20% of his matches so far in high school.  I still think my point is still well made that FFs should not count toward an overall season match limit

I stand corrected.  They both had FF's in 40% of their matches Saturday (i.e. they only actually wrestled in 3 of their 5 matches according to their parents).  My son has had FFs in over 20% of his matches so far in high school.  I still think my point is still well made that FFs should not count toward an overall season match limit

I don't disagree. However in order to make up for the missed matches aka forfeits teams would need to overschedule to fill in those missing matches. Thus, a team would over schedule by say 5 in hopes of all their wrestlers getting 5 forfeits. Then in the end teams would be forfeiting matches or holding kids out when they get to the limit.

I really don't like the idea of a hard limit as teams will do EVERYTHING they can to get to that max. Instead the point system like we have works better.

Just to clarify the two day holiday tourneys are only 2 points currently ? We are looking to secure a 2 day for next season to get our boys more matches , I actually spoke with Robert earlier this season to clarify the tri-dual rule. Our AD was under the impression it was considered a tourney and took away 1 of our tournaments and added a dual. Robert clarified it for us , now we are working on next seasons plan and I'm trying to make sure I know exactly what we have so I can take it to the AD

Just to clarify the two day holiday tourneys are only 2 points currently ? We are looking to secure a 2 day for next season to get our boys more matches , I actually spoke with Robert earlier this season to clarify the tri-dual rule. Our AD was under the impression it was considered a tourney and took away 1 of our tournaments and added a dual. Robert clarified it for us , now we are working on next seasons plan and I'm trying to make sure I know exactly what we have so I can take it to the AD

Yes a two day event is worth two points

Just my imo, but to increase interest in the sport at various schools, I would follow high school football. Decrease the super duals and individual tournaments. Set a weekday like Thursday that the only event is wrestling in the school for a 1 on 1 dual meet. The biggest matches in our area are the 1 on 1 duals. Not necessarily the invitational types or super duals.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

Here is my viewpoint for what it's worth:

We are a small school that wrestles a big schedule, 7 tournaments and 4 duals using all 18 points. 3 of our tournaments are 2 day events, the Al Smith, War on the Wabash at Lafayette Harrison, and our conference super duals. It is a demanding schedule both physically and mentally. However, it prepares us well for the state series.

I would love to have more home dual matches during the week. However, with many of the schools in our area low on numbers and giving up a few ff's, I am not a fan of changing the schedule at this point in time. If numbers increased then great.

We have been in that situation before, giving up several ff's with 20 total kids. It definitely is not fun. It's stressful and discouraging.

I am not sure what the best answer but is, but something more than 25 matches should be considered, as Y2 stated. I agree that kids are getting burned out a little and that not all parents like being in gym all weekend long. Injuries seem to occur more often too.

Again, just my thoughts.

He was promoting home duals and parents not wanting to set in a gym all day on weekends. Why not do like Michigan and do a three way on a weeknight. If it would only cost you one weigh in.

Doesn't anything with more than 2 schools competing count as 2 points?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.