This week 12/5-12/10

KyleM

This will be the second meeting of Hobart and MD. The first was in 1999; anyone remember that one?

This may be the most competitive castle six way in a long time.

Team State semi-finals:

Evansville Mater Dei 33, Hobart 30

103 -- Manuel Rodriguez (H) dec. Bob Ausbrooks (EMD), 2-1.

112 -- Ryan Storey (H) dec. Matt Adler (EMD), 8-3.

119 -- Alexander Ramos (H) dec. Eli Todich (EMD), 22-5, disqualification, 5:58.

125 -- Wes Goodpaster (H) pinned Mike Conkling (EMD), 2:19. 

130 -- Chad Martin (EMD) dec. Josh Felty (H), 9-7. 

135 -- Chad Raben (EMD), Rick Rayner (H), 2-1.

140 -- Neil Reddington (EMD) pinned John Felty (H), 3:21.

145 -- Frank DeBusk (H) pinned Dan Jankowski (EMD), 1:10.

152 -- Joe Hurst (H) pinned Eric Dewig (EMD), 4:49. 

160 -- Nick Miller (EMD) dec. John Cantu (H), 8-3.

171 -- Tony Unfried (EMD) dec. Nicholas Benzce (H), 6-5.

189 -- Ryan King (EMD) dec. Dustin Weber (H), 9-5. 

215 -- Kevin Alvey (EMD) pinned John Walsh (H), 1:21. 

275 -- David Hisch (EMD) pinned Trent Overturf (H), 3:21.

For my money, the greatest dual meet in Indiana history.  It's hard to explain how unbeatable Mater Dei was at that time.  They hadn't lost from the time the team tournament was introduced in 1995-96 and didn't end up losing until 2004--finishing at 9 titles in a row, including the last of the current IHSAA team champion system in 1994-95.  In this dual, Hobart had already wrestled far over their heads when DeBusk takes it to another level by tossing and sticking the virtually invincible Jankowski, whose only previous loss all year was by 1 point to the national champ Rosbottom of Jeffersonville.  The place was pandemonium.  Then Hurst pins a very good Dewig too and we could all barely breathe.  Nick Miller comes up with a clutch win over Cantu, and then all heck breaks loose.  Nick Benzce has no business even being in the match with Unfried--he'd just gotten pinned in under a minute by him the week before.  But he wrestles the match of his life and is up a couple points late.  At that point, there are lots of versions of what exactly happened, but the bottom line is this: Benzce is dancing around with the best stalling effort he can muster and the EMD section is going insane.  It's so loud you can't hear yourself think in what shockingly turned out to be an undersized Center Grove venue for this gigantic match.  It's so loud, Benzce doesn't hear the ref screaming at him that he's being called for stalling.  And again. And again.  Before it's all said and done, there are a few seconds left, and Unfried is up a point without Benzce even having realized and Unfried is able to run out the clock.  From there, King controls Weber and Alvey and Hisch get enormous pins and the EMD faithful are crying tears of joy while Hobart and anyone not from EMD can't believe what we just saw.

For me, it's the greatest match ever because there has only ever been that type of aura of invincibility surrounding a team in a dual meet situation with EMD.  Prior to 1995, there was no team state, and no one has come close to matching their sort of run.  It would have been clearly the greatest upset, even until now, in Indiana dual meet history.  And the fact that it came that close to happening, in those circumstances, made it truly legendary.

Edited by maligned

OK, where is Mundell with the exact details when we need him.....

That was a pretty special season for Indiana wrestling and here's the way I recall that season.

Portage and Hobart was in the Harvest Classic that year and I believe Portage came out on top, but it was crazy close..and there was a fight in the bleacher between the parents of each school.  The die hard region guys can tell you that family names of both teams knew each other for years (some good relationships and some bad....but still with region tension between them!)

The dual that season was at Portage.  We split matches 7-7 and Hobart ended on top by 1 and six of the 14 matches were decided in the last minute of the match.  It took me a couple days to get over losing and I though to myself, "that was the best dual meet I've ever seen".

Then we wrestled Hobart in the Team Regional at CP.  Again the dual came down to the last match, teams split matches 7-7 and I think 10 of the matches were decided in the last minute.  It took me a couple days to get over losing and I thought o myself, "ok, THAT was the best duall meet I've ever seen".

I watched the team state dual between EMD and Hobart.  Couldn't believe that Hobart was for sure going to knock out invincible EMD and then watched the crazy ending of that dual...in that environment.  It only took me 10 seconds to say, "OK, I'll never see a better dual meet than that one"

...not sure if I have.

Team State semi-finals:

Evansville Mater Dei 33, Hobart 30

103 -- Manuel Rodriguez (H) dec. Bob Ausbrooks (EMD), 2-1.

112 -- Ryan Storey (H) dec. Matt Adler (EMD), 8-3.

119 -- Alexander Ramos (H) dec. Eli Todich (EMD), 22-5, disqualification, 5:58.

125 -- Wes Goodpaster (H) pinned Mike Conkling (EMD), 2:19. 

130 -- Chad Martin (EMD) dec. Josh Felty (H), 9-7. 

135 -- Chad Raben (EMD), Rick Rayner (H), 2-1.

140 -- Neil Reddington (EMD) pinned John Felty (H), 3:21.

145 -- Frank DeBusk (H) pinned Dan Jankowski (EMD), 1:10.

152 -- Joe Hurst (H) pinned Eric Dewig (EMD), 4:49. 

160 -- Nick Miller (EMD) dec. John Cantu (H), 8-3.

171 -- Tony Unfried (EMD) dec. Nicholas Benzce (H), 6-5.

189 -- Ryan King (EMD) dec. Dustin Weber (H), 9-5. 

215 -- Kevin Alvey (EMD) pinned John Walsh (H), 1:21. 

275 -- David Hisch (EMD) pinned Trent Overturf (H), 3:21.

For my money, the greatest dual meet in Indiana history.  It's hard to explain how unbeatable Mater Dei was at that time.  They hadn't lost from the time the team tournament was introduced in 1995-96 and didn't end up losing until 2004--finishing at 9 titles in a row, including the last of the current IHSAA team champion system in 1994-95.  In this dual, Hobart had already wrestled far over their heads when DeBusk takes it to another level by tossing and sticking the virtually invincible Jankowski, whose only previous loss all year was by 1 point to the national champ Rosbottom of Jeffersonville.  The place was pandemonium.  Then Hurst pins a very good Dewig too and we could all barely breathe.  Nick Miller comes up with a clutch win over Cantu, and then all heck breaks loose.  Nick Benzce has no business even being in the match with Unfried--he'd just gotten pinned in under a minute by him the week before.  But he wrestles the match of his life and is up a couple points late.  At that point, there are lots of versions of what exactly happened, but the bottom line is this: Benzce is dancing around with the best stalling effort he can muster and the EMD section is going insane.  It's so loud you can't hear yourself think in what shockingly turned out to be an undersized Center Grove venue for this gigantic match.  It's so loud, Benzce doesn't hear the ref screaming at him that he's being called for stalling.  And again. And again.  Before it's all said and done, there are a few seconds left, and Unfried is up a point without Benzce even having realized and Unfried is able to run out the clock.  From there, King controls Weber and Alvey and Hisch get enormous pins and the EMD faithful are crying tears of joy while Hobart and anyone not from EMD can't believe what we just saw.

For me, it's the greatest match ever because there has only ever been that type of aura of invincibility surrounding a team in a dual meet situation with EMD.  Prior to 1995, there was no team state, and no one has come close to matching their sort of run.  It would have been clearly the greatest upset, even until now, in Indiana dual meet history.  And the fact that it came that close to happening, in those circumstances, made it truly legendary.

Maligned- 

I have had many conversations about this dual with several different people.  Your account was like hearing it for the first time! I got goosebumps all over again.

I can take you to the restaurant, the table and the seat i inhabited when Randy Helfrich relayed the story to me.  Without fumbling or pausing, Randy named each combatant, the score and turning point of each match.  It was amazing.  As Randy was speaking, I could see him transported back into Center Grove's gym amongst the noise and mayhem.  I asked him if he ever wakes up in the middle of the night thinking about it.

"Sometimes," he said.

The week before the match, Mike Goebel was asked about MD's likely second round match with the Brickies.

"I have heard that they can hurt you in a street fight," said Goebel.

To this day, I do not believe that the 'Cats had any idea of what they would be facing.

To this day I've never been in a louder gym!

brickfor6..................maybe you need to make the drive down thrusday for #TheCounty CLash of #1 vs #2...........will be loud and off the charts crazy !!!!

Plus Wiesjahn is validating parking and reimbursing people for gas receipts !!!!

Edited by JMILL

https://youtu.be/oZNEjVU4VpU

This was produced by a local tv station.  a very observant wrestling fan will spot an 11 year-old matt coughlin.

Awesome!

brickfor6..................maybe you need to make the drive down thrusday for #TheCounty CLash of #1 vs #2...........will be loud and off the charts crazy !!!!

Plus Wiesjahn is validating parking and reimbursing people for gas receipts !!!!

Haha hope you guys have a loud packed gym, I will be at the Hobart vs Lowell meet Thursday. .... but I don't think you guys will match the 1999 state semi-finals.

From another thread, week or so ago . Rankings are old

106 - Campbell #4 B vs Rioux #12 (A)

113 - Garcia #1 (A)

120 - Mills #1 B

126 - Mulkey #2 B

132 - Miranda #5 (A)

138 - Kriezter #11 B

145 - Lee #1 B vs Conley #4 (A)

152 - Clark #5 (A)

160 - Brewer #6 (A)

170 - Cirriaelli #16 B

182 - Walton #1 B

195 - McCormick #8 B

220 - Larson #2 (A) vs Peterson #14 B

285 - Henson #9 (A) vs Clark #14 B

Looks like every weight will be represented well but that's just how strong these 2 teams are this year . #1 Avon will be starting 6 Sophomores . Going to be a great dual with an outstanding environment . Hell, I'm inviting the hole State, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky to come to #TheCounty. Just think these 2 teams will going at it 6 more times maybe more . ! I CANT WAIT !

This will be the second meeting of Hobart and MD. The first was in 1999; anyone remember that one?

This may be the most competitive castle six way in a long time.

Should be the Best in the State this weekend if not this month.   So very interesting match ups possible.   It's way to early in the season to start throwing names out there for runs to the podium but this one six way has som SS if not state contenders ready to go

Maligned- 

I have had many conversations about this dual with several different people.  Your account was like hearing it for the first time! I got goosebumps all over again.

I can take you to the restaurant, the table and the seat i inhabited when Randy Helfrich relayed the story to me.  Without fumbling or pausing, Randy named each combatant, the score and turning point of each match.  It was amazing.  As Randy was speaking, I could see him transported back into Center Grove's gym amongst the noise and mayhem.  I asked him if he ever wakes up in the middle of the night thinking about it.

"Sometimes," he said.

The week before the match, Mike Goebel was asked about MD's likely second round match with the Brickies.

"I have heard that they can hurt you in a street fight," said Goebel.

To this day, I do not believe that the 'Cats had any idea of what they would be facing.

I made the drive from Jackson Michigan that year and sat with the MD faithful.  When Jankowski got pinned you could have heard a pin drop!  To this day it was the most exciting wrestling dual I have ever witnessed.

-Joe Gossman III

Enough nostalgia! I have had Dec. 8 circled on my calendar for months.  A new chapter is primed to be written on US 33 Thursday night.  A story as old as time - father vs. son; two sides of the county line clash connected by one highway.  Ideally, I would like to sit between momma Marsh and sister Molly.  I wanna hear all about the Thanksgiving dinner convo's between the God Father of West Noble wrestling and his son, crowned the new sensei at Fairfield.  For anyone who has been around this family you know that competitiveness is genetic.  Get there early and save the last box of popcorn for me!  Put the babies to bed early b/c this is gonna be all out war!  Like Clubber Lane said... Q: "Clubber, any predictions for tonight?" A: Clubber - "PAIN!"  

Round 1: Coach Marsh vs. Coach Marsh - Civil War by blood in Elkhart County

Edited by awood2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.