#3 portage vs #8 Chesterton Thursday

ontherise219

I guess my question would be, that if they knew they were changing schools before the year, and if it was closer to everyone's work, why didn't they just enroll before the season?

I'm on the fence on these sort of issues. I want the kids to be able to compete, for sure, but I don't like situations where kids don't like a coach so they change, or they think they'll have a better team, so they change - or they can't beat a guy out at a weight class, so they move. I'm not saying these are the things happening here - but I do think there needs to be restrictions on switching for athletic reasons. Now, switching for academic reasons is totally different in my opinion.

My understanding is that they absolutely did enroll before the season. The brothers have been students at Portage High School this entire school year.

The Morans are a class act. Don't know them a ton, but have been around them some. I'm sure that they are doing what they think is best for the family as a whole. That should be the end of the conversation. As a man or parent, I am going to do whatever it is that is best for my family (as long as it is legal and doesn't cause physical damage to others). I am sure that the parents of the Moran boys are just doing the same. It doesn't matter the reason. A good tax paying family is just trying to do what they think is best for their children. Period! There should be no further discussion, by the powers to be. Let them wrestle.

It appears that these matters are put forth to the IHSAA review committee. It also appears that they meet in the first week of each month. I assume that this issue will be discussed then????

http://www.ihsaa.org/AboutIHSAA/Minutes/tabid/92/Default.aspx

Edited by Mattyb

The Morans are a class act. Don't know them a ton, but have been around them some. I'm sure that they are doing what they think is best for the family as a whole. That should be the end of the conversation. As a man or parent, I am going to do whatever it is that is best for my family (as long as it is legal and doesn't cause physical damage to others). I am sure that the parents of the Moran boys are just doing the same. It doesn't matter the reason. A good tax paying family is just trying to do what they think is best for their children. Period! There should be no further discussion, by the powers to be. Let them wrestle.

It appears that these matters are put forth to the IHSAA review committee. It also appears that they meet in the first week of each month. I assume that this issue will be discussed then????

http://www.ihsaa.org/AboutIHSAA/Minutes/tabid/92/Default.aspx

I read the IHSAA report. Thanks Mattyb.   They had the YTD transfer stats as follows: 

I thought may relevant to the conversation.   I hope the Moran's fall in the Temporary ineligible category and are not one of the 10 kids deemed ineligible. 

Fully Eligible                        2312             83.32%

Limited Eligibility                   232                 8.36%

Temporary Ineligible             211                 7.6%

Ineligible                                 10                   .36%

Total                                    2765

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.