Kentucky pulled the trigger

Justin Ratliff

I think that our middle schools should try it. There is no doubt that we could get more middle schoolers to wrestle, if they do not have to wear singlets. I think that I will be pushing for this at the middle school level in my area. I think that we should start at that level here in Indiana. This little change could get more athletes out and grow our sport. My son would have many of his super athletic friends over on the weekend. They would goof around, put singlets on, and wrestle on our home mat. Those same friends would not put singlets on and wrestle at school. Some kids are just funny about that stuff at that age. Seems like when they get to high school, they lose that modesty and don't care. By then its hard to get them to get involved with our demanding sport (too hard).

Edited by Mattyb

There is no doubt that we could get more middle schoolers to wrestle, if they do not have to wear singlets. I think that I will be pushing for this at the middle school level in my area.  I think that I will be pushing for this at the middle school level in my area. I think that we should start at that level here in Indiana. 

I agree that its worth at least experimenting with at the elementary and MS level to see if we can get kids hooked, even though they may make the switch to a singlet in HS.  

However, (I know I'm halfway jacking the thread) it will be hard pressed to get most of the Middle School programs in the state on the same page with allowing this in competition until some type of state level MS wrestling organization if formed within the IHSWCA, IHSAA, or otherwise.  As it stands there is already such a discrepancy across the state on the number of weight classes, the weight distribution of the classes, the period times, allowing for a weight allowance, use of equipment like headgear, etc.  Some districts or school conferences at least have some general guidelines, but they sometimes vastly differ with the neighboring area.  As such, I'm not sure where some of these schools refs or coaches would come down on a major uniform change if the opposing team showed up expecting to wrestle win compression shirts and fight shorts.   That is at least until the IHSAA decides it fitting, and it trickles down from there.

Edited by MattM

This is an excellent movement for our sport.  Who cares whether someone is wrestling in a singlet or a "2 piece" snug outfit?  After all, in many recent elite events (i.e. - who's #1, MI GFC, and others) the participants/contestants are provided snug fitting compression-type uniforms to compete in.  I haven't seen any instances where the uniform caused someone to "miss a scoring opportunity" or "cause interference to the matches."  A small argument could also be made that a "more coverage" type uniform would help with skin hygiene issues.

Every sport evolves with respect to uniform requirements and needs.  It is time to hang up the singlet and move toward 2-piece uniforms in wrestling for a variety of reasons and positive outcomes.

There will certainly be some sport buffs who read this thread.  Can anyone out there share examples of "uniform evolution" in other sports that have occurred for safety and/or social acceptability reasons?

We are going to give it a test run. Being a product of Indiana, now living in Kentucky we still have over half the state that has no programs. Turn out is usually low because the non-wrestling kids opinions. We think this may help draw them in. It seems we can't get the football programs on board to support wrestling, they want them in the weight room all offseason. Also it don't help the fact that in the past Football Coaches here was telling kids that wrestling is gay to detour them from the sport and into the weight room. Our state tournament is a joke compared to IHSAA's

Question for officials; I understand that there is not a governing body at the middle school level.  Considering, the "wrestling/fight" shorts and compression gear are not IHSAA approved gear at this time (but seems to be on it's way to approval), would an official approve the gear to be worn at a middle school competition during this upcoming season?

Edited by infowrestling

I think you are probably over estimating how much the IHSAA would care what middle school kids wear to wrestle in.  I emailed the MHSAA last year and told them I wanted have our team wear compression shirts and fight shorts.  The MHSAA said that would be fine so we went with the shorts and shirt and we had a great turn out and got  5-10 kids out who said they wouldn't wear a singlet.  I only heard positive comments from other teams/coaches/kids/parents about the uniforms.  I just carried around the email from the MHSAA saying it was fine in case there were any questions from officials.  At least 2 more teams in our area are switching to shorts/shirts this year.  There is no draw back to switching to a new uniform.  Besides getting more kids to participate, they want to buy the fight shorts and its free advertising for your program when they wear them to PE, lifting, etc.

Edited by doctorWrestling

I talked with a few high level state officials and they said that there was really no way an official could keep middle school teams from wrestling in fight shorts. many parts of the rule book aren't followed in middle school meets, time, weight classes, etc. Any middle school official who would try to stop wrestling because of fight shorts/shirt combo isn't worth hiring and doesn't have the best interest of the sport in mind.

I was at a middle school dual tourney this last weekend at Perry Meridian and the Perry Team had two piece compression shirts and shorts and they looked really nice. 

They did not get in the way of wrestling in any way (un like the fight shorts worn at who's # 1) and were very slick looking. 

I would say after seeing them that this would certainly be an option that could attract more middle school kids to the sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.