BIG 8/PAC

SWSpectator

Rumors are spreading about the possibility of some teams leaving the Big 8 Conference and entering the PAC....from what I've read, it looks like Boonville and Mt.Vernon have expressed interest in joining the PAC, and possibly Princeton? Any truth to any of this?

Is this just for football? or for all sports across the board??

Its all true that those three have contacted the PAC about joining for all sports. The whole thing started when Tell City told the PAC they were thinking about leaving to join the PLAC. But then Tell City backed out of leaving and now say they are staying in the PAC. I doubt Mt. Vernon gets accepted into the PAC due to travel concerns. 

Its all true that those three have contacted the PAC about joining for all sports. The whole thing started when Tell City told the PAC they were thinking about leaving to join the PLAC. But then Tell City backed out of leaving and now say they are staying in the PAC. I doubt Mt. Vernon gets accepted into the PAC due to travel concerns. 

North Posey-27 min

South Spencer- 58  min

Southridge-1 hour 18 min

Heritage Hills-1 hour 15 min

Gibson Southern-52 min

Tell City-1 hour 30 min

Pike Central-1 hour 11 min

Forest Park-1 hour 20 min

Tecumseh-55 min

Avg. travel from Mt.Vernon apx. 1 hour 5 min

Avg. travel from Mt.Vernon (if you don't count North Posey cause i'm sure that argument will come into play) apx. 1 hour 10 min

Boonville-52 min

Washington-1 hour 26 min

Princeton-1 hour

Jasper-1 hour 32 min

Mt. Carmel-56 min

Vincennes-1 hour 24 min

Avg travel from Mt.Vernon apx. 1 hour and 11 min

I don't think travel concerns has much of a backbone to argue with.

You posted the travel time difference for Mt. Vernon to the PAC schools vs. the Big 8 schools. Sure the difference will not affect if Mt. Vernon. That does not matter at all to the PAC schools that would be voting on if Mt. Vernon can join the PAC. Those PAC teams are going to think about the added travel time for their schools.

Of the three schools that have approached the PAC the travel times to the PAC schools are as follows.

Mt. Vernon to the PAC schools one way is 589 minutes.

Princeton  to the PAC schools one way is 444 minutes.

Boonville  to the PAC schools one way is 298 minutes.

posey-county-indiana.jpg

I get that every other school in Indiana basically is going to cut down on travel time because Mt. Vernon is tucked so tight in the corner (see map if you don't believe me), I was simply stating that how much of about a 30-20 min travel time deduction per school really hold weight in the argument?

If we are that concerned with distance and travel time then why don't we just narrow conferences down to sectors of schools located the absolute closest to one another?

posey-county-indiana.jpg

I get that every other school in Indiana basically is going to cut down on travel time because Mt. Vernon is tucked so tight in the corner (see map if you don't believe me), I was simply stating that how much of about a 30-20 min travel time deduction per school really hold weight in the argument?

If we are that concerned with distance and travel time then why don't we just narrow conferences down to sectors of schools located the absolute closest to one another?

Someone should set up Mt Vernon vs Angola in some sport. Better make the venue halfway.

You posted the travel time difference for Mt. Vernon to the PAC schools vs. the Big 8 schools. Sure the difference will not affect if Mt. Vernon. That does not matter at all to the PAC schools that would be voting on if Mt. Vernon can join the PAC. Those PAC teams are going to think about the added travel time for their schools.

What also makes it hard to add someone like Mt. Vernon is that not only is it far away for school night travel but several of the PAC schools are in the Eastern time zone while Mt. Vernon is in the Central time zone.

Tell City to North Posey 76.4 miles

Tell City to Mt. Vernon 70.9 miles

What also makes it hard to add someone like Mt. Vernon is that not only is it far away for school night travel but several of the PAC schools are in the Eastern time zone while Mt. Vernon is in the Central time zone.

Big 8's Vincennes and Jasper are on Eastern time zone ..........

I thought the PAC's Southridge, Pike Central, and Forest Park were the only 3 on Eastern time zone. Maybe I missed something.

Tell City to North Posey 76.4 miles

Tell City to Mt. Vernon 70.9 miles

What you posted makes it seem like it is easier to get to Mt. Vernon than it is to get to North Posey from Tell City. This is not true. The fastest way from Tell City to Mt. Vernon goes through Evansville with many stoplights. All highway travel.  According to Google maps the travel time is 89 minutes. The fastest way to North Posey from Tell City includes a lot of interstate travel and according to google maps the travel time is 79 minutes.

Yeah I'm still waiting for Indiana to be on one time. You know that's why we went to DST. Such a lie. I'd be in favor of Indiana completely going to Central time and I live near Ohio which is also Eastern like most of our state. I can catch up on Ohio sports highlights and then catch Indiana highlights.

What you posted makes it seem like it is easier to get to Mt. Vernon than it is to get to North Posey from Tell City. This is not true. The fastest way from Tell City to Mt. Vernon goes through Evansville with many stoplights. All highway travel.  According to Google maps the travel time is 89 minutes. The fastest way to North Posey from Tell City includes a lot of interstate travel and according to google maps the travel time is 79 minutes.

So to your point an extra 10 minutes is too far to travel? On a school night too?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.