The greatest wrestler/football in Indiana history?

Jayruss

Cameron Smith of Ben Davis has to be in the conversation. Two time state champ who went on to play football at Eastern Illinois. Dude was a freak!

Smith had 2,312 rushing yards in one season (which is 26th all time in the history of Indiana). When Ben Davis was winning National titles.

Edited by Mattyb

^Did not mean to quote, sorry^

Jon Goldsberry is a former fullback in the National Football League. He was signed by the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent on April 29, 2005, before being cut on September 3, 2005 and then re-signed to the Bills practice squad on September 5, 2005. On December 30, 2005 he was promoted to the 53 man roster, but was inactive for the final game of the season. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers later signed him to their practice squad on December 5, 2006, but subsequently waived him on June 22, 2007. The Chicago Bears then claimed him off waivers on June 26, 2007 but then placed him back on the waiver list on August 15, 2007.[1]

Goldsberry is a 2005 graduate of Purdue University, during his playing career, he split time between fullback, special teams and linebacker. He was elected Team Captain for the 2004 season and appeared in 4 bowl games (2001 Sun Bowl, 2002 Sun Bowl, 2003 Capitol One Bowl and the 2004 Sun Bowl.) He was selected Academic All-Big Ten following the 2003 season, he was named 'Best Special Teams Kamikaze in Big Ten by The Sporting News' in 2004.

Prior to the 2005 NFL Draft, Goldsberry participated in the Las Vegas All-American Classic football game

(source Wikipedia)

My dad had the pleasure of coaching Jon. He was an idol to me as a young kid. He is worthy of being in the discussion.

Tim Alcorn

MV Wrestling

Edited by alcorntr

Haha I think you might be a Little Bias Chris. I love #theCounty but I think we have a better bet with Lynn Panko. but to be honest I dunno if he played football (it would be a shame if he didnt) we need a #TheCounty Historian to chime in

Yep, add Lynn Panko & we'll add Nathan Walton to the #TheCounty G.O.A.T #lockitup

My point is his accomplishments skew heavily toward football. Is this Indianamat or the Gridiron Digest???

When you are a state runner-up you're in the top 1% of wrestlers in the state. That's pretty darn impressive in most people's books.

When you are an NFL Pro Bowler you are in the top .000001% of football players in the country. Again that's pretty darn impressive.

By your standards Blake Maurer would be the best since he was really good at wrestling and even if he was mediocre in football(which he wasn't) he still "wins."  If guys like Howe, Escobedo, Humphrey, etc who have had world level wrestling credentials were football players I'd lean toward them also. However, I'm pretty certain they did not play football.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.