Skin health form expiration

working on it

Question

At the regional last year we presented a skin-health form for an old infection.  We had procured the doctor's OK a month previously.  The official at the weigh-in told me the form was "out of date."  Does a skin-health form which indicates a return-to-competition date expire?  Do we need to return to the doctor each week for a new form to confirm that the old infection is still non-communicable, or does one date then cover the entire future (assuming no further infections)?

4 answers to this question

“ART. 5 . . . A contestant may have documentation from an appropriate health-care professional only indicating a specific condition such as a birthmark or other non-communicable skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema, and that documentation is valid for the duration of the season. It is valid with the understanding that a chronic condition could become secondarily infected and may require re-evaluation.”

Otherwise the note must be 7 days old or less if the skin condition was contagious.

Note-The coach must present the proper skin condition form found on the IHSAA website. If the form is not completed correctly or the condition has changed from the time the form was completed the referee and/or the ONSITE medical professional may overrule the form.

Tom Clark

IHSAA Rules Interpreter

I know most refs work with people and use common sense, but to ask kids to have new forms every week for the same site is ridiculous. Most times it takes 3-4 weeks for ringworm to not be seen, even than sometimes it leaves a scar or marking. Just think this is one of those rules that could put almost any kid out at any tournament because of acne, mat burns and skin diseases (no longer contagious). This is just my rant, as a registered nurse. I guess the biggest problem I have is that the ref can veto the form. So, now it's 30-40 a week to go to a doctor x 3 weeks but still could be over turned. So why is it not just up to the ref and/or athletic trainer of the tournament. Don't require a form and use the form as an option for another opinion if they choose to bring one?

Edited by warsawwrestling

It is the responsibility of the referee to look after the safety of all wrestlers, not just the one with the note. Under the rule, it is the responsibility of the wrestler and the coach to provide the correct form. I realize it could be costly, but that is the rule we are to abide by.

Minnesota suspend all wrestling for a few weeks a couple of years ago because of rampant skin condition issues (Mrsa). We are told to error on the side of safety for ALL participants.

Understand but what's the point of a doctor's note if it can be over ruled, why just not make all the calls. Athletic trainers and refs see more and are just as knowledgeable or could easily be trained to make these calls (at least the head ref with trainer together). We all have seen BS notes and know that they couldn't have been cleared for the situation they are claiming. Just like how a good chunk of kids at state couldn't pass a hydration test! If we want the best for kids then take the chance of deception out of their hands! Like I said just my rant and not directed toward you, just the situations.