Nick Lee's Indiana high school legacy ?

Jayruss

I think you need to reread my first post again. Either that or you need to get new glasses. I stated 2 different opinions for what a "high school legacy" could entail. Therefore, in my logic I do agree 100% that it very well could include all of the outside tournaments (which in this case Nick Lee would HAVE to be mentioned) BUT if it only included your IHSAA (Indiana High School Athletic Association) stats then I don't think he would compare to those who have went undefeated and won 4 state titles like Lance Ellis, Alex Tsirtsis, & Chad Red (especially since Chad Red beat him). Nick Lee is an absolute animal, and he is one of the greatest wrestlers at that age I've ever seen. BUT some may define a "high school legacy" different. What if there was a kid who won multiple national tournaments through high school but never wrestled for a high school team, would they be considered to have defined a "high school legacy"? It's all perspective.

If you only include IHSAA matches, that would be a huge injustice to the wrestler.

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but when discussing his high school legacy, how do number of state titles not matter? I loved that he chased the best and in the end he will be better for it, but the fact remains, he is a one time champion, assuming he doesn't come back this year. The match with Red was probably the most exciting and highly anticipated match I've witnessed and while they didn't disappoint, Red won, cementing his legacy as one of the best. His loss to Micic in the semi-finals was also highly anticipated, but anticlimactic to say the least. I know that Lee was a freshman, but he was dominated in that match and the final result shows that. My opinion (which is no more than that of a casual fan) is that he is a top 10 wrestler of all time despite his one title, but his losses are a black eye on the overall resume'. Quick note, I know he chose to attend Penn State, but I always thought his relentless style was better suited for Iowa, reminds me of a young Metcalf.

Aaron Pico isnt very good. He only has one state title.

His LEGACY should not be questioned by anyone. Only 2 career losses, both as underclassman and both to number 1 ranked wrestlers in the country. There hasn't been anyone in the state of Indiana (I'm pretty sure) that had to wrestle two #1ranked national wrestlers in the state tournament for their only two career losses... Not Angel, not Blake, not Lance, not Alex and definitely not Drake....let's face it Indiana hasn't had many #1 ranked kids. His LEGACY is not based on number of state title, career wins or career pins... His legacy is solidified on who he is, how he conducted himself, how he won and how he lost. How many Indiana kids TF'd their way to the finals at nationals? His legacy allows him to stand shoulder to shoulder with every name mentioned.

Just thoughts on his legacy.

Best in Indiana? He isn't even the best in Southern Indiana. Drake Stein from Princeton Community has a better high school legacy.

Of all the great wrestlers from SW Indiana you chose Drake Stein?????

Nick Lee:  As of right now, Top 10 all time but not Indiana Mt. Rushmore territory.  

I think there'd at least be one of those cool laser etched plaques of his picture near the gift shop, though, right?

Edited by B. Alan

I think there'd at least be one of those cool laser etched plaques of his picture near the gift shop, though, right?

You had me at laser....

In all seriousness, in my mind you have to rank the following guys ahead of him at this point in time:

Howe, Escobedo, both Tsirtsis', Humphrey, Red, Micic, Ellis. Who else?

Maybe he went to the Disney Duals instead????

In 2011 he didn't visit with Cinderella

Junior-189 - Drake Stein's place is unknown.

Match #1 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Denis Zaitsev (Pennsylvania) Fall 0:45

Match #2 Shane Hughes (Wisconsin) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Dec 0-6,7-0,5-5

Match #3 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Nick Lovejoy (Missouri) TF 6-0,6-0

Match #4 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Dwight Howes (Colorado) Fall 1:34

Match #5 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Zach Boden (Utah) TF 6-0,6-0

Match #6 Sam Brooks (Illinois) over Drake Stein (Indiana) TF 6-0,10-4

In 2010 he didn't go see Mickey Mouse

Match #1 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Ryan Larson (Minnesota) Dec 6-3,5-0

Match #2 Shane Hughes (Wisconsin) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Fall 3-2,1-5,1:57

Match #3 Josh Greer (Alabama) over Drake Stein (Indiana) TF 6-0,7-0

In 2009 he didn't get to ride Space Mountian

Junior-171 - Drake Stein's place is unknown.

Match #1 Nate Brown (Pennsylvania) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Fall 1:33

Match #2 Sergio Cortez (California) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Fall 6-0,0:48

It's easy to assume without actually checking I guess.

In 2011 he didn't visit with Cinderella

Match #1 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Denis Zaitsev (Pennsylvania) Fall 0:45

Match #2 Shane Hughes (Wisconsin) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Dec 0-6,7-0,5-5

Match #3 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Nick Lovejoy (Missouri) TF 6-0,6-0

Match #4 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Dwight Howes (Colorado) Fall 1:34

Match #5 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Zach Boden (Utah) TF 6-0,6-0

Match #6 Sam Brooks (Illinois) over Drake Stein (Indiana) TF 6-0,10-4

In 2010 he didn't go see Mickey Mouse

Match #1 Drake Stein (Indiana) over Ryan Larson (Minnesota) Dec 6-3,5-0

Match #2 Shane Hughes (Wisconsin) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Fall 3-2,1-5,1:57

Match #3 Josh Greer (Alabama) over Drake Stein (Indiana) TF 6-0,7-0

In 2009 he didn't get to ride Space Mountian

Junior-171 - Drake Stein's place is unknown.

Match #1 Nate Brown (Pennsylvania) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Fall 1:33

Match #2 Sergio Cortez (California) over Drake Stein (Indiana) Fall 6-0,0:48

It's easy to assume without actually checking I guess.

Jeez, dude. Do you have some sort of personal vendetta? A previous poster was just pointing out Drake has two and Nick has one. Wait, did Drake pound you en route to one of those two titles? 

Jeez, dude. Do you have some sort of personal vendetta? A previous poster was just pointing out Drake has two and Nick has one. Wait, did Drake pound you en route to one of those two titles? 

I'm a little older than him, but no personal vendetta here. Just pointing out facts. If you are going to say something, at least fact check yourself. 

You had me at laser....

In all seriousness, in my mind you have to rank the following guys ahead of him at this point in time:

Howe, Escobedo, both Tsirtsis', Humphrey, Red, Micic, Ellis. Who else?

Back to the task at hand. I'd love to hear some opinions on this as well, I personally can't think of anyone else.

I take that last part back, going off of total body of work, Mitch Sliga could be close.

Sliga had 2 State titles, was a 4 time placer, multiple Fargo titles, was 5th in the world as a Cadet.  

Edited by gogoplata89

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.