Nick Lee's Indiana high school legacy ?

Jayruss

Let's put it this way Angel is my favorite wrestler in high school and after.  I am putting Nick in that category.  Good luck Nick, looking forward to watching you at the next level.  I am sure there are some wrestlers at 138 that are thankful.

I believe high school records aren't probably on his life long goals.  I would say this, if he becomes as successful as there is a good chance he will in college put him at the very tip top.  Remember Red was a Senior and he was a Junior.  Who goes down as the best from Indiana if he beats him in college along with capturing a couple national titles?

I'm disappointed to see him go this route purely from a selfish point of view.  That said, does anyone know what he can and cannot do up there? Can he work out with current PSU wrestlers?  I believe there is an RTC up there correct?  At what level can he be coached and train and not violate NCAA rules?  What wrestlers train there during the fall that he could practice with?  Is it possible he enrolls at a PA HS program and competes or will he simply use this time to train?

As far as I know he can wrestle at the NLWC(Nittany Lion Wrestling Club) all he wants. The current wrestlers all "train" there also so he can wrestle with them, but not participate in the official NCAA practices. Cael and company are club coaches so they are fine to work with him...I believe. Just as a sidenote, in college MANY wrestlers do private workouts in the morning with their coaches and Nick can slip in there. They also can work with the club only coaches and athletes at this time. Places like Iowa or Ohio State have coaches that are club only coaches that can't be in the room during NCAA practice, but can work with the guys outside of that time.

From a selfish perspective, I am disappointed that I won't get to see him wreck everybody all season long.  I don't think anybody in the state would have stayed within 8 points of him this season.  But he's already a state champ and has bigger goals than HS wrestling.  If he and his family feel this is the best route to achieving those goals, who am I to say otherwise?  I hope he enters some big HS tournaments like Beast of the East, etc. this year, along with maybe some college opens.  At least we still have Joe and now Matt Lee to watch this season!!

Highschool as in IHSAA wrestling? Or highschool as in whatever wrestling he did in highschool? because if this argument is strictly based on IHSAA season stats then it's hard to throw him in there with Blake Mauer, Alex Tsirtsis, Angel, Jason Tsirtsis, & other company. BUT if the argument is about wrestling in various competitions while being in highschool on national even international stages then Nick Lee is probably the best highschool wrestler in Indiana history. Either which way you look at it he's still really good and is going to pound somebody at some level.

Highschool as in IHSAA wrestling? Or highschool as in whatever wrestling he did in highschool? because if this argument is strictly based on IHSAA season stats then it's hard to throw him in there with Blake Mauer, Alex Tsirtsis, Angel, Jason Tsirtsis, & other company. BUT if the argument is about wrestling in various competitions while being in highschool on national even international stages then Nick Lee is probably the best highschool wrestler in Indiana history. Either which way you look at it he's still really good and is going to pound somebody at some level.

Since college coaches only look at his or anyone else's in season stats.  :rolleyes:  

Since college coaches only look at his or anyone else's in season stats.  :rolleyes:  

I didn't know we were talking about what college coaches look at I thought the headline of the forum said something like High School legacy?

If we were talking about what all tournaments and accolades Nick Lee has that college coaches look at then the list would never end because he's a great wrestler, a great student, and from what I hear an even better person, BUT this particular forum was High School legacy.

What dictates a "high school legacy" ? Maybe something like high school stats ? Maybe something like high school stats w/ the inclusion of outside tournaments ? Idk, maybe someone out there knows the official judgement on what makes someone have the greatest high school legacy.

I would say Jason Tsirtsis Career is more impressive. Beating Cashe Quiroga for the first time in the State Semi Finals and winning his 1st of 4 titles...and Cashe goes on to be an NCAA AA as a TRUE FRESHMAN, I still think the 4 years CJ Red was in high school he beat everyone put in front of him and won every major national tournament around. Not to mention Ellis, Alex, Angel, Reece, Howe. He is definitely in the same league as these guys but the best seems a little much. 

*DISCLAIMER* ALL THESE WRESTLERS ARE BETTER THAN ME AND COULD MURDER ME WHENEVER THEY WANTED THESE ARE JUST VIEWS AND OPINIONS

I didn't know we were talking about what college coaches look at I thought the headline of the forum said something like High School legacy?

If we were talking about what all tournaments and accolades Nick Lee has that college coaches look at then the list would never end because he's a great wrestler, a great student, and from what I hear an even better person, BUT this particular forum was High School legacy.

What dictates a "high school legacy" ? Maybe something like high school stats ? Maybe something like high school stats w/ the inclusion of outside tournaments ? Idk, maybe someone out there knows the official judgement on what makes someone have the greatest high school legacy.

Your high school legacy should include all the things you've done during your time wrestling in high school. Why should his legacy be limited to when he only had a Mater Dei singlet on? What about all the times he repped Indiana and made us proud? When you are talking about the best wrestlers ever in our state's history, you have to include the other stuff. I guess going by your logic , Red, Alex Tsirtsis, and Ellis are all tied for 1st place because they never lost and won 4 titles, no way to break the tie. 

If only there was a way.

I would say Jason Tsirtsis Career is more impressive. Beating Cashe Quiroga for the first time in the State Semi Finals and winning his 1st of 4 titles...and Cashe goes on to be an NCAA AA as a TRUE FRESHMAN, I still think the 4 years CJ Red was in high school he beat everyone put in front of him and won every major national tournament around. Not to mention Ellis, Alex, Angel, Reece, Howe. He is definitely in the same league as these guys but the best seems a little much. 

*DISCLAIMER* ALL THESE WRESTLERS ARE BETTER THAN ME AND COULD MURDER ME WHENEVER THEY WANTED THESE ARE JUST VIEWS AND OPINIONS

I agree with this 100% Nick isn't the best wrestler in Indiana history, but he deserves to be put up there with the best. Number of State titles don't tell the whole story. 

Jason also beat Cashe after he had lost to him earlier in the year. Talk about coming through when it mattered. Then after his senior year, beats NCAA champion Darrion Caldwell at the last chance Olympic qualifier. I guess that last one might not matter to some people because he didn't have his Crown Point singlet on.

Edited by gogoplata89

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but when discussing his high school legacy, how do number of state titles not matter? I loved that he chased the best and in the end he will be better for it, but the fact remains, he is a one time champion, assuming he doesn't come back this year. The match with Red was probably the most exciting and highly anticipated match I've witnessed and while they didn't disappoint, Red won, cementing his legacy as one of the best. His loss to Micic in the semi-finals was also highly anticipated, but anticlimactic to say the least. I know that Lee was a freshman, but he was dominated in that match and the final result shows that. My opinion (which is no more than that of a casual fan) is that he is a top 10 wrestler of all time despite his one title, but his losses are a black eye on the overall resume'. Quick note, I know he chose to attend Penn State, but I always thought his relentless style was better suited for Iowa, reminds me of a young Metcalf. 

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but when discussing his high school legacy, how do number of state titles not matter? I loved that he chased the best and in the end he will be better for it, but the fact remains, he is a one time champion, assuming he doesn't come back this year. The match with Red was probably the most exciting and highly anticipated match I've witnessed and while they didn't disappoint, Red won, cementing his legacy as one of the best. His loss to Micic in the semi-finals was also highly anticipated, but anticlimactic to say the least. I know that Lee was a freshman, but he was dominated in that match and the final result shows that. My opinion (which is no more than that of a casual fan) is that he is a top 10 wrestler of all time despite his one title, but his losses are a black eye on the overall resume'. Quick note, I know he chose to attend Penn State, but I always thought his relentless style was better suited for Iowa, reminds me of a young Metcalf. 

I think he's another Zain Retherford.

Your high school legacy should include all the things you've done during your time wrestling in high school. Why should his legacy be limited to when he only had a Mater Dei singlet on? What about all the times he repped Indiana and made us proud? When you are talking about the best wrestlers ever in our state's history, you have to include the other stuff. I guess going by your logic , Red, Alex Tsirtsis, and Ellis are all tied for 1st place because they never lost and won 4 titles, no way to break the tie. 

If only there was a way.

I agree with this 100% Nick isn't the best wrestler in Indiana history, but he deserves to be put up there with the best. Number of State titles don't tell the whole story. 

Jason also beat Cashe after he had lost to him earlier in the year. Talk about coming through when it mattered. Then after his senior year, beats NCAA champion Darrion Caldwell at the last chance Olympic qualifier. I guess that last one might not matter to some people because he didn't have his Crown Point singlet on.

I think you need to reread my first post again. Either that or you need to get new glasses. I stated 2 different opinions for what a "high school legacy" could entail. Therefore, in my logic I do agree 100% that it very well could include all of the outside tournaments (which in this case Nick Lee would HAVE to be mentioned) BUT if it only included your IHSAA (Indiana High School Athletic Association) stats then I don't think he would compare to those who have went undefeated and won 4 state titles like Lance Ellis, Alex Tsirtsis, & Chad Red (especially since Chad Red beat him). Nick Lee is an absolute animal, and he is one of the greatest wrestlers at that age I've ever seen. BUT some may define a "high school legacy" different. What if there was a kid who won multiple national tournaments through high school but never wrestled for a high school team, would they be considered to have defined a "high school legacy"? It's all perspective.

Maybe the top 25. I can name 25 who had better HS careers. Just off of my head Epper, Wright, McMurray, and all the names mention above. No one cares about second place.

Not one of those guys is in the same neighborhood as Nick.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.