All those "National" Tournaments, which one should I attend?

grecoref

That's great for the DI level kids, but not so much for the others.

I put six kids in the lineup at Disney that were JV last year. They got 14 good matches from guys that were below average to state placers. Fargo would have been a very bad choice for them.

Fargo isn't for everyone, John Smith isn't going to go after kids that go 0-2 at Fargo.

Families can use their money more wisely and go to camps or local academies and a handful of regional level events for the same $1500 you spend going to get a few matches at Fargo.

#FreestyleIsForChumps

Maybe you are buying the wrong final vowel TripleB? Ask Vanna for a different one.

#FreestyleIsForChomps

#FreestyleIsForChimps

#FreestyleIsForChemps

#FreestyleIsForChamps

I'm sure everyone could agree that one of these variation works.

Edited by MattM

#FreestyleIsForChumps

Maybe you are buying the wrong final vowel TripleB? Ask Vanna for a different one.

#FreestyleIsForChomps

#FreestyleIsForChimps

#FreestyleIsForChemps

#FreestyleIsForChamps

I'm sure everyone could agree that one of these variation works.

I'd love to see freestyle chimp wrestling. There would be just as many open hand slaps as there are now, maybe even more.

That's great for the DI level kids, but not so much for the others.

I put six kids in the lineup at Disney that were JV last year. They got 14 good matches from guys that were below average to state placers. Fargo would have been a very bad choice for them.

Fargo isn't for everyone, John Smith isn't going to go after kids that go 0-2 at Fargo.

Families can use their money more wisely and go to camps or local academies and a handful of regional level events for the same $1500 you spend going to get a few matches at Fargo.

There are lots of D-2 and D-3 coaches there as well. You have been there to see it for yourself. How many college coaches are at the Disney Duals?

I saw a few while I was there. I wasn't exactly on the lookout, nor was I normally in the area they would be(aka the stands) so I can't tell you how many I saw.

Wabash, Trine, Manchester, Indianapolis along with the 30 other DII/DIII/NAIA schools in this region aren't using Fargo as a big time recruiting tool. For most of those schools you'd almost be better off financially bumping your GPA up in summer school than going to Fargo and winning a few matches.

Fargo isn't the end all be all it was even 10 years ago with the emergence of numerous solid regional and national level events.

NHSCA (9th-12th Nationals) and Super 32 seem to pull a lot of college coaches.

Going to say the NHSCA (9-12th) pulls the most coaches. Seemed like every hour someone was doing a clinic while the tournament was going on . Great Event !

#TheCounty

From a parent who is actually in the middle of all of this, here is our experiences.

• NHSCA - After Ty's matches, we had numerous coaches come introduce themselves and ask for some information.  This included 2 D1 coaches, 1 D2 coach and honestly several who I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know.  One of those actually stepped into our corner and attempted to argue a call during one of our matches.  I'll remain nameless, as that is probably some type of violation.
  • JazzTown - A D1 coach contacted Snyder about his interest in Ty and relayed some information.
  • Camps - We have attended camps with several D1 Big10 coaches in attendance, there is mutual interest that we'll explore this fall.
  • Junior National Freestyle Duals - Zero interest... with all the talk about this and that with freestyle, Ty went 7-1 as a Cadet wrestling in the Junior Duals last year and didn't get a sniff.  His loss was a 14-8 decision to Intermat's #11.  It's funny that those who claim all the college coaches in attendance at this event couldn't get a kid sniffed that was ranked 6th in the country by Flowrestling at the time.  I guess the college coaches were more concerned about the teams in the Gold bracket than Indiana's team OR it's just a lot of talk.  JazzTown was a much bigger hit for us on a fraction of the budget last year.

My lesson learned... I can attend 4-5 national events plus camps and get more recognition on the same budget it takes to attend Fargo and/or Cadet/Junior Nationals.  The trip fees are ridiculous, we travel much cheaper.  If you have success at these national tournaments, results will speak for themselves.  

My lesson learned... I can attend 4-5 national events plus camps and get more recognition on the same budget it takes to attend Fargo and/or Cadet/Junior Nationals. The trip fees are ridiculous, we travel much cheaper. If you have success at these national tournaments, results will speak for themselves.

Well Said !

There are countless college coaches at Fargo every year ranging from coast to coast; D I, II, III, JuCo, & NAIA.  They are interested in the wrestlers that are there, period.    They are interested in the wrestlers who put in the time, commitment and dedication to train and compete at Fargo.  Even the smaller programs are just looking for wrestlers that want to put themselves around the best, and compete against the best, AA or not.  Besides, even if you go 0 - 2 in competition, there are 10 practice sessions at camp and a half dozen or so at Fargo.  Heck, you can go get on the mat whenever you want at Fargo, there's an entire gym with 17 mats open 12 hours a day that is for practice only.  Wrestlers that were eliminated early, were getting workouts in during the days of competition. I had one of my wrestlers working out with college coaches one on one...valuable stuff.  Trust me, these coaches see these kids work and commit themselves to the sport and it carries a lot of weight, win or lose.  The big difference is, and this is where you get confused, if you AA there, you are almost guaranteed to be approached by the more elite programs. Being an AA in Fargo holds a much higher prestige than any other tournament, even Flo and Super 32.  That does not take away from an awesome experience for our developing wrestlers.  

The cost is $1033 for both styles, and $945 for one, minus $150 for gear if you were on the dual team...not $1500.  That cost covers the rooms and three very good meals at camp for 3 days, the bus trip to Fargo, rooms in Fargo and three very good meals a day for 10 days.  That's almost two weeks of wrestling!  Overnight camps are $500 just for a few nights.  And, last I checked, a trip to Disney Duals wasn't cheap either.  It's a chunk of change, but I had no problem with asking for donations for my wrestler and no problem bringing it in.   People are generous, especially for a good cause.  This trip changes lives, it's priceless.   I'm not bashing the other "national" tournaments, but please don't take anything away from this one and discourage kids from going.  

It's really upsetting to sit and watch this website control the communication on this topic.  Opinions that are agreed upon by the powers that be on here are spotlighted and showcased, and opinions that aren't agreed upon are simply deleted.  It's media manipulation at it's finest.  To hear that freestyle is for chumps is a prime example of the 800 lbs. gorilla that has been created to throw a wedge in the direction of this sport in our state #RIPHarambe.  If you want to grow the sport in Indiana, this isn't the way to go about it.  We must be united in this front, as long as we are divided, we will never be as strong as we could be.

Hopefully people can read this before it's deleted.   

We've been talking about this in the other thread. There has to be a way to cut the cost of this and other national trips.

I agree, let's come up with a solution!  From what I understand, the IHSAA is weird about sponsorships, but they can't stop donations!  Raising money for an individual is easy, it can't be much more difficult for general groups, teams, clubs and/or associations.   

No one is taking away from any tournament...the "powers that be" which i guess I am apart of would just like people to understand that its not 1992 anymore and there are multiple avenues for kids to take which keeps them wrestling year round which is something college coaches look at as cited in the article. Other tournaments are being hailed as "not important as Duals or Fargo" and that simply just is not the case any more there are a ton of events which get eyes on kids and there are 2 fathers of extremely successful wrestlers currently in this process backing that claim up. You can agree or disagree if you want but its quite easy to see the "It is how we always done it" mentality and that is the most dangerous phrase when it comes to growing and evolving the sport.

As to your second point, your post will not be deleted...post that get deleted are ones that are personal attacks or spam. Perpetuating this sort of "Dictatorship" belief insinuates we (who volunteered our time and effort to the site) have power which we clearly don't as you can see by how some recent situations have been handled. The power is in the hands of board members who for better or worse have the future of the state on their shoulders.

The original post of this thread has been up for a week.  A clear example of censorship.

I think the Freestyle is for chumps should be taken tongue in cheek but you might want to ask.

The responses I have read from parents and coaches seem like well thought out points on why Fargo, contrary to the original poster's point, might not be the best use of their resources.  Nothing less or nothing more.

this sort of "Dictatorship" belief insinuates we (who volunteered our time and effort to the site) have power which we clearly don't as you can see by how some recent situations have been handled. The power is in the hands of board members who for better or worse have the future of the state on their shoulders.

Jeez man stop telling us repeatedly how you are just a "volunteer" and "volunteer your time"..............we get it man you are not paid like the ISWA board members are.................Hey wait a minute !!!!

I kid I kid....come one I love Weisjahn !!!!

There are countless college coaches at Fargo every year ranging from coast to coast; D I, II, III, JuCo, & NAIA.  They are interested in the wrestlers that are there, period.    They are interested in the wrestlers who put in the time, commitment and dedication to train and compete at Fargo.  Even the smaller programs are just looking for wrestlers that want to put themselves around the best, and compete against the best, AA or not.  Besides, even if you go 0 - 2 in competition, there are 10 practice sessions at camp and a half dozen or so at Fargo.  Heck, you can go get on the mat whenever you want at Fargo, there's an entire gym with 17 mats open 12 hours a day that is for practice only.  Wrestlers that were eliminated early, were getting workouts in during the days of competition. I had one of my wrestlers working out with college coaches one on one...valuable stuff.  Trust me, these coaches see these kids work and commit themselves to the sport and it carries a lot of weight, win or lose.  The big difference is, and this is where you get confused, if you AA there, you are almost guaranteed to be approached by the more elite programs. Being an AA in Fargo holds a much higher prestige than any other tournament, even Flo and Super 32.  That does not take away from an awesome experience for our developing wrestlers.

You are missing the point. Fargo is a great tournament and a great experience. However, Fargo isn't for everyone and in all honesty it's for our top 10% of wrestlers especially when you factor in the cost. Being seen by numerous college coaches is great, but most of the small school coaches aren't from our region. Heck, you can come to the little September tournament and get seen by Indiana Tech, Wabash, Trine, Ohio Northern, Indianapolis, Cumberlands, and many others. On top of that at the Super 32 there were about 100 college coaches last year representing at least 60 schools, if not more.

I hate to bring up anecdotal evidence, but guys like Rypel and Hughes didn't do too shabby for themselves by not going to Fargo. Seven of our state champs this year have never been to Fargo, add to 5 in 2015 and I think 9 in 2014. 

Point being Fargo is a great event and if you can afford to go, go, but if you're looking for a little more bang for your buck there are many other viable options.

The cost is $1033 for both styles, and $945 for one, minus $150 for gear if you were on the dual team...not $1500.  That cost covers the rooms and three very good meals at camp for 3 days, the bus trip to Fargo, rooms in Fargo and three very good meals a day for 10 days.  That's almost two weeks of wrestling!  Overnight camps are $500 just for a few nights.  And, last I checked, a trip to Disney Duals wasn't cheap either.  It's a chunk of change, but I had no problem with asking for donations for my wrestler and no problem bringing it in.   People are generous, especially for a good cause.  This trip changes lives, it's priceless.   I'm not bashing the other "national" tournaments, but please don't take anything away from this one and discourage kids from going.

Per the ISWA website the cost is $1150/$1238 for juniors and $945/$1033 for cadets. Add in things like extra food and drinks, travel to camp and drop off, and any other items the trip is easily a couple hundred more.

From everyone I talked to Disney was between $300-600 for most teams, some included food, some didn't. That's for about 15 guaranteed matches, pretty good deal if you compare it to potentially going 0-2 at Fargo.

It's really upsetting to sit and watch this website control the communication on this topic.  Opinions that are agreed upon by the powers that be on here are spotlighted and showcased, and opinions that aren't agreed upon are simply deleted.  It's media manipulation at it's finest.  To hear that freestyle is for chumps is a prime example of the 800 lbs. gorilla that has been created to throw a wedge in the direction of this sport in our state #RIPHarambe.  If you want to grow the sport in Indiana, this isn't the way to go about it.  We must be united in this front, as long as we are divided, we will never be as strong as we could be.

It is sad how this is becoming an anti-freestle topic. No one here is bashing freestyle and you are completely wrong on my opinions on it. Just three years ago I had 18 kids at freestyle state, which was the 11th most of any club in the state. Keep blaming IndianaMat when you won't look into the mirror to see the real issues.

What opinons on freestyle have been deleted? Maybe you have confused them with the spammer trying to sell mats that he never delivers, but those aren't just folkstyle mats, you can do freestyle and greco on them too.

Hopefully people can read this before it's deleted.

Because....?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.