Forget Waiver-Gate...Russian Nationals is CRAZY

Y2CJ41

It's Russia so I'm not suprised something crazy happened at a wrestling event. Maybe two years back they had a brawl between coaching staffs that turned into a crowd fight. At a junior or cadet event about a month ago they had a multiple coaches/parents pull guns in each other. If all that happens is a protest by one region that stops the competition then I'd say they are handling it relatively calmly at the moment. But, I wouldn't be suprised if something occurs later too if they feel slighted again. They take their combat sports seriously in Russia, especially around Dagestan.

Edited by MattM

Nothing and I mean NOTHING surprises me about anything that goes on there. The president of the Russian Wrestling Federation, Mikahl Mamiasvili. cannot get a visa into the USA because of his mob ties. They are in the middle of a major doping scandal with the IOC and the head of the Russian drug testing program dies in his sleep a couple of months ago. About a month ago, Adlan Varaeyev, the head of the Russian Freestyle Group "falls off" a bridge into a river and I'm not sure the body has been found yet.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, the mob began controlling everything including sports.  Payoffs and favors are a common practice. I have lots of stories....

If I recall from the video I saw, there were a few people holding guns when the groups were confronting each other. At least cooler heads prevailed in that issue. Edited by MattM

If I recall from the video I saw, there were a few people holding guns when the groups were confronting each other. At least cooler heads prevailed in that issue.

Wow.  There were actually multiple people with guns out, not just the body guard?  I've dealt with a lot of crazy wrestling parents, fans and kids over the years, but nothing like that.  

Grecoref, would love to hear your stories about Russia. 

Edited by WaltHarris

Stary Oskol is where the Emelianenko brothers, Fedor and Alexander, are from. The brothers talked about massive street gang fights, where neighborhoods fought each other with weapons, being commonplace in their younger days. Fedor, in typically terse Russian fashion, described Stary Oskol as a "cold, dark place". Basically, it's one of the roughest cities in Russia

Stary Oskol is where the Emelianenko brothers, Fedor and Alexander, are from. The brothers talked about massive street gang fights, where neighborhoods fought each other with weapons, being commonplace in their younger days. Fedor, in typically terse Russian fashion, described Stary Oskol as a "cold, dark place". Basically, it's one of the roughest cities in Russia

For a little background into this morning's debacle: Dagestan is a small region of less than 3 million people who are wrestling, Sambo, and MMA monsters.  If the selection process ends up being fair, they'll have someone in contention for Russia's Olympic spots at every freestyle weight and they've got the best pound-for-pound wrestler in the world right now, with all due respect to our own Jordan Burroughs.  But Dagestan is poor.  And today's event was held in an eastern region of Russia called Yakutsk that is rich with resources and has some powerful people that are very into wrestling and that have done shady things in the past.  So the 57kg quarterfinal today had Russia's world-teamer from last year, Lebedev, who is from near Yakutsk, against a Dagestani wrestling 6 time zones from home.  Oh--and Lebedev is infamous for getting calls to go his way and having numerous high-profile shady events.  

Cue today's events where Lebedev goes behind and the Dagestani isn't close to having his knee down as they go out of bounds--two takedown, and it stands up under review.    The Dagestani can't overcome the 2 instead of 1 and subsequent extra lost point for losing the challenge, and he loses by a point.  So all of the Dagestanis and several neighboring regions--comprising an enormous chunk of Russia's best guys just all end up leaving half-way through day 1 of a 3-day nationals.  Awesome.

Edited by maligned

Wow!  Shockingly, the two-time world champion Lebedev removes himself from the running for selection for the Olympics because he believes he lost both the match that ended up being protested by the departure of the Dagestanis and his later gold-medal match (that one was so bad also, a jury awarded 2 gold medals instead of giving it to only him).  If he's not being coerced in some way, his comments in this article seem incredibly selfless.

http://russiawrestling.com/victor-lebedev-i-will-not-wrestle-in-rio-2016/

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.