New potentially dangerous hold identified

jmills

cost Walton a match at Scholastic Duals...that said...safety is the NUMBER one concern...this kind of drop no matter how well intentioned and safe the wrestler controlling the return tries to be, serious head trauma or whiplash is possible and I know as a coach and future parent (hopefully crazier things have happened) I would want to make sure my wrestler was not gonna suffer any un-needed head injuries.  

I understand your concern, but couldn't this be covered in the slam issues. For example it's considered a slam if "returned wrestler" from a front and back standing position lands on their head or shoulder first.

Next they will band headlocks because of the potential of the "thrown kid" landing on their head, which they should because I hate headlocks. I've seen this happen, causing possible concussions more than the trapped arm throw.

Edited by warsawwrestling

It looked contingent on the lift.  I wonder if a PD will be called if they have the arm trapped but pick the heel to take their opponent to the mat?  The head could still hit the mat from that position as well.

I also wonder because usually when you have the arm trapped and you lift your not holding him for long.  You are immediately returning him to the mat in most cases.  So as the referee is blowing the whistle to stop the offensive man is already returning the guy to the mat.   This could almost turn into a worse situation as one of the wrestlers could relax after the whistle during the return or the return still happens and then they are just going to restart.  

While I do see the danger of this, I also believe that it will be hard to police.  If it is lifted and returned does this become illegal and penalty points awarded?  Just curious...  

The NFHS Rules Interpretation meeting is in September. This is a conference call and PowerPoint presentation with Rules Interpreters from each state. This meeting is where we will be instructed as to how this situation will be called. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.