Yappi for Indiana

Should we have a website like Yappi for Indiana? Put the link for mat under the wrestling heading. If you aren't familiar with Yappi, they have a website and the homepage has boys hs sports and girls high school sports. You click on one and the next page has all the sports listed. Click on one and the message board for that sport cones up. My thinking is to tie this, Gridiron digest,basketball digest, and others on one site and then clicking on the sport name directing you to each site. Then drive up numbers on all of them.

The digests are just messageboards, we are way more than that.

Not changing this but connecting them to here to help numbers on all. My thought is having one site that has all and clicking on wrestling brings you to this site. I'm not the most tech savvy so I'm not sure of the technical terms.

I guess I need to put it another way. The goals and purpose of each site are on different ends of the spectrum. For instance they ask for donations while we are 100% self sufficient while also giving back to the wrestling community.

Which wouldn't change with my proposal. I'm saying have one site that has the links to each site and redirects to the one you click on.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

Which wouldn't change with my proposal. I'm saying have one site that has the links to each site and redirects to the one you click on.

Why? I don't have trouble viewing the other sport's forums.

I guess I need to put it another way. The goals and purpose of each site are on different ends of the spectrum. For instance they ask for donations while we are 100% self sufficient while also giving back to the wrestling community.

Ooof, maybe put it another "another way" 'cause that comes off a little elitist.

I really see no difference in the goals or purpose between the two, you both are attempting to promote and grow your sports.

Self sufficient can be defined in variable terms. You run ads. The GID does not. The GID has a much larger, arguably more devoted community in comparison. I'm not sure this site could run on the generosity of its "core" members like the GID can/does/has for years.

I enjoy both sites, I think there's a little posturing if you don't believe some form of networking between the sites would be beneficial to both (maybe more so this site based purely on traffic). I mean most kids above manlet size generally participate(d) in both sports. There's a built in reciprocity there.

Isn't the main goal to grow all sports in Indiana and America? That's why I'm proposing the idea to try and connect them. I try to support most of the teams from my alma mater as well as the "rival" schools. Remember it takes a community to raise a child as they say. Put on our proverbial AD hats.

Isn't the main goal to grow all sports in Indiana and America? That's why I'm proposing the idea to try and connect them. I try to support most of the teams from my alma mater as well as the "rival" schools. Remember it takes a community to raise a child as they say. Put on our proverbial AD hats.

I don't that that is the mission of the Gridiron digest.

Is IM?

YES.  Click around on the homepage and I think you will find it is much more.

Elaborate.

Elaborate on what?  I expressed that I don't think it is the mission of the Gridiron Digest to grow all sports in Indiana and America. 

Is IM?

YES. Click around on the homepage and I think you will find it is much more.

Elaborate.

Elaborate on what? I expressed that I don't think it is the mission of the Gridiron Digest to grow all sports in Indiana and America.

I'd bet the vast majority go straight to the forums.

He never said that was the GID's goal. He asked a question, "isn't the goal...?". The GID's purpose has always been to grow and promote the sport of football in Indiana. I imagine IM's is pretty similar for wrestling. While not identical, there's certainly a common ground between the two.

Edited by LongBlackLine

I don't that that is the mission of the Gridiron digest.

No it's not really the mission of each individual site, but all of our athletes need to have the same acknowledgement. I'm all for making it all of the sites to support and encourage growth of numerous sports.

Ooof, maybe put it another "another way" 'cause that comes off a little elitist.

I really see no difference in the goals or purpose between the two, you both are attempting to promote and grow your sports.

Self sufficient can be defined in variable terms. You run ads. The GID does not. The GID has a much larger, arguably more devoted community in comparison. I'm not sure this site could run on the generosity of its "core" members like the GID can/does/has for years.

I enjoy both sites, I think there's a little posturing if you don't believe some form of networking between the sites would be beneficial to both (maybe more so this site based purely on traffic). I mean most kids above manlet size generally participate(d) in both sports. There's a built in reciprocity there.

Not many website of our nature survive long because of mainly funding. I am quite proud that we have found ways to not beg for money each year for the basic function of the website. I am even prouder that everything here is free and we are not a subscription based website like some are and others are becoming.

The wrestling community is very devoted and passionate. The GID may get more hits, but it's not where I go to see the SAC or NECC standings. I go there to see who the best running back is or other gibber jabber. 

I have been on the GID and check it during the football season. I have even seen people mention IndianaMat quite often, even to the moderators on ways to not beg for money. 

If it comes off as elitist, so be it. I'm fine with that as many didn't believe this website would survive one year...let alone 7.

Maybe but I bet the individual and team rankings are popular.  I bet the two new articles by respected journalists every week during the season are popular.  I bet the results section is popular. These are all things I dont see on Gridiron Digest.  I know I look at those things a lot more than the forum during the season.

Maybe but I bet the individual and team rankings are popular. I bet the two new articles by respected journalists every week during the season are popular. I bet the results section is popular. These are all things I dont see on Gridiron Digest. I know I look at those things a lot more than the forum during the season.

These are all things they link through the forum threads/posts, which tells me how 1) how popular they really are, or 2) where the vast majority of user's bookmarks/favorites link to (thus bypassing said content).

There's more similarities than you realize, the difference is in how content is presented. The GID is user driven, plenty of polls, rankings, etc. The IM is owner/moderator driven, they create much of the unofficial "official" content.

These are all things they link through the forum threads/posts, which tells me how 1) how popular they really are, or 2) where the vast majority of user's bookmarks/favorites link to (thus bypassing said content).

There's more similarities than you realize, the difference is in how content is presented. The GID is user driven, plenty of polls, rankings, etc. The IM is owner/moderator driven, they create much of the unofficial "official" content.

I link to much of the content through social media and it appears from shares that I see, thousands of others do too.

Polls and rankings are the same thing.  What else do the GID users provide?  The more I look at Indiana Mat the more content I see.  I guess I see one being a comprehensive site covering all aspects and one just being a message board with a few user driving polls.

Not many website of our nature survive long because of mainly funding. I am quite proud that we have found ways to not beg for money each year for the basic function of the website. I am even prouder that everything here is free and we are not a subscription based website like some are and others are becoming.

The wrestling community is very devoted and passionate. The GID may get more hits, but it's not where I go to see the SAC or NECC standings. I go there to see who the best running back is or other gibber jabber.

I have been on the GID and check it during the football season. I have even seen people mention IndianaMat quite often, even to the moderators on ways to not beg for money.

If it comes off as elitist, so be it. I'm fine with that as many didn't believe this website would survive one year...let alone 7.

I'll chalk this up to traffic envy.

The GID doesn't beg and you're not likely to be on Shark Tank anytime soon, so let's get a grip. The GID chose to not run ads for the benefit and at the request of membership. Their costs are much more prohibitive than IM's based on traffic. I really don't see the big deal in asking for donations or running ads, there both minimally invasive on the user experience.

To the original point, both sites, IN high school sports in general, would certainly stand to benefit if there were a central hub drawing and sharing users. That's all.

Keep up the good work.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.