Ideas to help freestyle in Indiana

lewdwar

Just a question and probably an ignorant one, but why isn't the lacrosse and hockey method used for freestyle and greco? For high school, it's "club" teams that basically use or do use the high school. They have their own regulation body like the IHSAA and similar to the IHSWCA. I think giving them to the IHSWCA in that matter would be good. You can start with the big schools like Warren Central, Ben Davis, and etc. They can compete for a State Championship as a team/club and individually. Put one in fall and one in spring. Then use the High School season for qualifiers for the current club teams and individual tournament. Have the High School club/team and non school affiliate club at the same time. Non affiliate on weekends and high school team/club during the week.

. I read this is the first time the US has failed to qualify a weight in Freestyle.

Maybe somewhat true but some technicalities have let us send a full team after the fact:

We didn't qualify Zadicks weight for Bejing but he got in at the last second due to some crazy events.

Frank Molinaro may also sneak his weight into the Olympics after the fact due to finishing 3rd at the last chance event. The Ukrainian representatives who qualified is possibly getting pulled for doping which may give him the open spot due to how everything played out with other competitors. So freestyle may still get one more in.

Edited by MattM

For starters, having a thread titled "Boycott Freestyle State" on Indiana's premier wrestling site probably isn't helping things

Wait, What? So "for starters" limiting conversation topics, or free speech will help??

Edited by MCKAJC

Just a question and probably an ignorant one, but why isn't the lacrosse and hockey method used for freestyle and greco? For high school, it's "club" teams that basically use or do use the high school. They have their own regulation body like the IHSAA and similar to the IHSWCA. I think giving them to the IHSWCA in that matter would be good. You can start with the big schools like Warren Central, Ben Davis, and etc. They can compete for a State Championship as a team/club and individually. Put one in fall and one in spring. Then use the High School season for qualifiers for the current club teams and individual tournament. Have the High School club/team and non school affiliate club at the same time. Non affiliate on weekends and high school team/club during the week.

We don't have high participation numbers at our high school. But I've already proposed something similar to our AD bringing in a high profile clinician to do some freestyle camps and incorporate some other training activities where the kids compete not only wrestling but in cross fit type stuff to make it more interesting.  I've involved several of the older kids as well to give them some ownership in promoting. getting some good response so far. baseball is tough to go up against in our community though.

Edited by MCKAJC

I'd agree national wise it's a problem too. It seems the only thing that reaches out to youth is tv, social media, and video games. Sad to say, but it might be a way to get all 3 styles more popularity in a sports sense. Folkstyle doesn't get much air time compared to softball, hockey, baseball, and lacrosse for college. Only the Olympics will you possibly see Freestyle or Greco. Maybe qualifiers on the B1G network once in a blue moon too. Guess I love too many sports as I say the same for them too.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.