May 2 IHSAA Board of Directors Agenda

Y2CJ41

I was perusing the IHSAA agenda and saw something interesting on page 4. It looks as if a principal is wanting classed swimming and cross county. 

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about%20ihsaa/2016%20Board%20Agenda.pdf

[submitted by Gregg Goewert, Principal, Switzerland County High School]
2-1 Classification Criteria
Schools may be classified in Team Sports, in Cross Country and in Swimming up to a maximum of Four (4) Classes, except football, according to the following criteria:

2-4 Reclassification Cycle in Team Sports and in Cross County and Swimming
In Team Sports and in Cross County and Swimming, Schools shall be re-classified every Two (2) years (reclassification period).
a. The number of Classes may be changed only in a re-classification year.

2-5 Reclassification of Schools in Team Sports Due to Previous Tournament Series
Success In Team Sports and in Cross County and in Swimming, Schools shall be subject to reclassification every Two (2) years on a sport by-sport basis dependent on the School’s previous tournament series success. 

I'm confused why he only chose cross county and swimming.  They also have track, golf, and wrestling.  Why not include those (along with tennis, which they don't have a team)?  

My only guess is that cross country and swimming state championships have been dominated by big schools (mostly Carmel) for over a decade.

I'm confused why he only chose cross county and swimming.  They also have track, golf, and wrestling.  Why not include those (along with tennis, which they don't have a team)?  

My only guess is that cross country and swimming state championships have been dominated by big schools (mostly Carmel) for over a decade.

Another reason could be its a simple fix to class the team part of those sports since all the competitors can participate at the same time.  Whereas, in sports like wrestling and tennis you would have to have separate competitions for each class since its a person vs. person set up.   Cross country and swimming they can all compete and then just divide the points up to each class.  Sure that can happen somewhat in wrestling too, but the person vs. person aspect may throw off the outcome more than what it does in timed/heat sports.  From how its titled I'm guessing this is only for the team aspect and not individual accomplishments.  But, for that reason it seems like track and golf could also be added in as well.  I'd say the other part is as you stated Carmel winning a lot with Columbus North and a few other schools winning occasionally.

Edited by MattM

That made me curious also as to why just those two sports. It will be interesting to see the IHSAA's voting on this. However, in the past most votes are 16-0 or 0-16, rarely is there any dissension what-so-ever.

That made me curious also as to why just those two sports. It will be interesting to see the IHSAA's voting on this. However, in the past most votes are 16-0 or 0-16, rarely is there any dissension what-so-ever.

Yes, the IHSAA likes to show that they are "united" and decide how they are all going to vote even before the arguments and discussions take place.  At least that is how it appears.  Mostly they like to squash any hope that a proposal that gets voted down might have a chance of passing in the future.

Edited by GrecoCoach

Although not specific to wrestling, I found it interesting (after all of the years that the IHSAA has been around) that just now... under Article IV - Administration...  they added numerous, numerous ways and reasons to get rid of their board members.  It might appear to some as though recent comments by an outspoken IHSAA board member prompted the IHSAA administration to put things in place to squelch any "non-conforming" board members.  As noted in an earlier post, most all IHSAA executive committee votes are unanimous.  This new verbiage (if voted in) sends a very clear message to their board members...  don't speak out against our administration or there will be stiff consequences.

Really cross country and swimming?  Would this be only for the team competition and would everyone still participate in the same State tournament.  I can see the logic in a room full of iron sharping iron argument for classing wrestling.  But swimming and cross country all you need is yourself for the individual side of it.

Really cross country and swimming?  Would this be only for the team competition and would everyone still participate in the same State tournament.  I can see the logic in a room full of iron sharping iron argument for classing wrestling.  But swimming and cross country all you need is yourself for the individual side of it.

I think swimming and cc would be the easiest as we'd still know "who the best" was based on times. Of course this principal could just have a thing against Carmel as CC and swimming are sports they pretty much dominate in.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.