IHSAA meeting

The IHSAA winter sports meeting took place Thursday at Primo's in Indianapolis. Wrestling was a hot topic of conversation. Here are the results.

1) Proposal to offer three classes was presented by Bobby Cox. The proposal involved reintroducing the team state series as well. No decision was made, but it is planned to be voted on at the May 23rd meeting.

2) A consideration was brought up about weight cutting, with Alan Jackson proposing no wrestler be allowed to move more than one weight class above or below their weight on November 15th.

3) The topic of singlets came up, and research will be done on the cost of switching to a more "basketball-like" uniform.

4) Spladles, headlocks and jumping on the opponents back when he is getting up from the down position, trying to get a potentially dangerous call, have been outlawed effective immediately.

5) Mater Dei wrestlers have to wrestle up one weight class automatically.

6) The terms "get up", "be aggressive" and "don't reach back" have been banned for coaches and fans. If those phrases are audible, a team point will be deducted.

7) Wrestlers requesting injury time will now be required to jump rope, or run in place while the trainer looks at them. This will prevent the injury timeouts used for catching one's breath.

8) Fans who clap and yell just because a top wrestler throws the bottom guy back to the mat, resulting in no points at all, will be banned.

9) Wrestling season will begin August 3rd and end August 2nd.

10) Obviously I am bored and it's April Fool's Day. Of course none of this jibberish is true.

You actually got me on the first 3 and then number 4 was very scary because I know quite a few wrestlers who can only spladle

Edited by DelCo

I was thinking this was real until #4 read it and read it a couple more times and was thinking how and why? I really thought someone's lost their mind. Then #5 I realized oh yeah April fools day though most wrestlers at Mater Dei would love the wrestling up a class because they could eat!

You actually got me on the first 3 and then number 4 was very scary because I know quite a few wrestlers who can only spladle

exactly! got me too. Well played on April 1st!!! 

Edited by MCKAJC

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.