132 super bracket from the past 15 years

maligned

Let's extend the CJ vs. Angel discussion to a 132 "super bracket" from the past 15-ish years of 130, 132, and 135's

1 Chad Red (senior, 4-timer, undefeated)

8 Jared McKinley (senior, 2-timer) or Deondre Wilson (senior, 2-timer) or Cody LeCount (junior year, 1-timer at this point)

5 Nick Lee (junior, 1-timer, 2 losses to #1 in the nation, top 5 national ranking)

4 Reece Humphrey (senior, 3-timer, eventual NCAA runner-up and world teamer)

3 Alex Tsirtsis (junior, 3-timer at this point, undefeated)

6 Jason Tsirtsis (sophomore, 2-timer at this point, eventual NCAA champ)

7 Andrae Hernandez (senior, 2-timer, Fargo champ or runner-up?, eventual IU starter)

2 Angel Escobedo (senior, 4-timer, eventual NCAA champ and world 5th place)

Who you got?

Edited by maligned

Chad Red_______________Chad Red

Cody LeCount

Nick Lee________________Reece Humphrey___________Chad Red

Reece Humphrey

Alex Tsirtsis______________Alex Tsirtsis______________Angel Escobedo Toss up for the finals, but I got Angel

Jason Tsirtsis

Andrae Hernandez_________Angel Escobedo

Angel Escobedo

Deondre Wilson at the end of his career was an absolute killer. I could see him potentially pulling off an upset. 2 great athletes and wrestlers 1 v 1.

Yeah, it's been a crazy weight range the last number of years.  The top 7 seeds on that bracket had high placements in the best national tournaments.  Then you've got McKinley, who just headlocked and pinned everybody his senior year; LeCount, who basically teched everyone in the state after his sophomore year; and Deondre, whose physicality and toughness and speed make him a nightmare against anyone in the country (and could still get him far on the national scene if he can get a few other things under control).

I still think Angel is undersized here but I think Senior Angel beats sophomore Jason and Junior Alex.  FWIW I think Sophomore "Alex trained" Jason beats Junior Alex. 

The top is much more fun.  I think Senior Reece beats Junior Nick Lee and this is where it gets interesting.  While I think Chad's defense and size advantage give him a win over angel as I said on the last post, He doesn't have the same advantages over Reece.  Not to say that Chad isn't a great freestyler, but Reece is a freak!  I could see a 4 over 1 Upset here as VERY possible.

I think CJ beats Angel

I think Angel beats Reece.

This is fun!

I think that Nick is deserving of a higher seed, probably the 3 seed. Tsirtsis was a legend, but by this point, Nick Lee has won a Pan American Gold in Freestyle. Very dominant against everyone  not named Micic or Red. 

I have Red taking the cake over Angel, but i could see Alex beating him. I bet that match took place multiple times in the Griffith room. 

Raley would be in the mix before some of these guys. 2 time champ, 1 time runner up, super 32 champ

He would be in the mix for the 8 seed, but not more, in my opinion.  

I forgot about his title at 103 as a freshman.  And his Super 32 run was special.

But...he got thrashed by Wright his junior year and had a loss his senior year as well, so it's tough to hold his high school season performances up to the standard of others listed here.  He also didn't do a whole lot post-high school to give us context for how good he may have really been. 

Edited by maligned

Raley was the real deal, not to mention a National Champ in college. He would be at least 8 seed, some would argue maybe 7. He maybe lost 3 matches his entire HS career.

He was the real deal for sure.  Finished ranked #17 coming out of high school.  JUCO runner-up and a nice season in 13-14 at IU in college.  I agree that I could/should have put him in that #8 seed group and that he compares well with Hernandez (but I'd keep Andrae at #7).

humphrey is the top dog on this list.

Definitely not in high school accomplishments or dominance.  In college, he didn't accomplish as much as Angel did or JT has.  And he hasn't placed as high at worlds as Angel's best either.

And Hump wasn't Nick Lee in high school. Nick wouldn't squeak out a win against a freshmen next year when he's a senior, no matter who that freshmen is. No disrespect to Hump

Squeak out? Pretty sure he won 5-1, controlling most of the match... That's not what I would call squeaking out...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.