IHSWCA Team State Duals - Initial Invitations Sent Out

When will it get to the point like the IHSAA football tournament for this? Selecting teams based on individual results and how well middle school kids have done is not my ideal way to pick teams. Have actual dual meets to determine who gets to compete in state round. How hard is is for the IHSAA to team up with the IHSWCA and do things right? Fix the schedule nonsense and no one gets left out and bids will be earned.

When will it get to the point like the IHSAA football tournament for this? Selecting teams based on individual results and how well middle school kids have done is not my ideal way to pick teams. Have actual dual meets to determine who gets to compete in state round. How hard is is for the IHSAA to team up with the IHSWCA and do things right? Fix the schedule nonsense and no one gets left out and bids will be earned.

lol sounds like you've figured it all out

JD, myself and likely a couple of other committee members, will be meeting with FW Coliseum management sometime in the next couple of months to look at set-up options with the added space that we have purchased for next year's event.

Thank you,

Coach McCormick

I loved the event last year... The main complaint was seating, and it looks like that is going to be fixed...  I am excited already for the event!!

lol sounds like you've figured it all out

just forward this on to IHSAA Dane and problem solved easy peezy lemon squeezy

My issue isn't necessarily with the IHSWCA, but more with the IHSAA. They continue to ruin everything in most sports. They screw up the success factor just because of certain schools and cannot realize that football sectionals should be seeded in some form. Neutral site games halfway between schools for Regional and Semi State contests in other sports as well is hard to grasp.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

For those not familiar with the limitations that leave us strapped with a year-ahead qualification system:

1. IHSAA does not and will not class any "individual" sports (track, tennis, golf, etc.)

2. IHSAA does not want to bring back an all-in, one-class team tournament because of the non-competitiveness of many duals, even as late in the series as team semi-state when underdog teams knew they had no chance to win and would substitute their JV team into the matches to save varsity guys for the individual tournament

3. Doing an all-in event without the IHSAA's support would mean convincing all teams in the state to block off at least 2 Saturdays or 2 weekdays and a Saturday so that the IHSWCA could assign teams to pre-determined sites for duals tournaments.

4. The IHSAA will not grant a scheduling exemption for teams in a duals state championship event, so teams that would block off a duals state championship Saturday would have missing scheduling points if they fail to qualify.  (This issue could be solved by simply assigning all eliminated teams to regionalized super duals if they've blocked off Team State Saturday...but then there would be no one to attend Team State)

An ideal world:

-IHSAA grants a schedule exemption for teams that qualify for classed Team State 

-IHSWCA coordinates with all schools to block off one Saturday for classed, regionalized preliminary rounds (e.g. 2nd or 3rd weekend of December) and one IHSAA schedule-exempt Saturday for Team State (e.g. first normal competition weekend of January)

-All schools use tournament scheduling points for the preliminary round and avoid scheduling anything for Team State Saturday--using the rest of their scheduling points other weekends and weekdays

Edited by maligned

For those not familiar with the limitations that leave us strapped with a year-ahead qualification system:

1. IHSAA does not and will not class any "individual" sports (track, tennis, golf, etc.)

2. IHSAA does not want to bring back an all-in, one-class team tournament because of the non-competitiveness of many duals, even as late in the series as team semi-state when underdog teams knew they had no chance to win and would substitute their JV team into the matches to save varsity guys for the individual tournament

3. Doing an all-in event without the IHSAA's support would mean convincing all teams in the state to block off at least 2 Saturdays or 2 weekdays and a Saturday so that the IHSWCA could assign teams to pre-determined sites for duals tournaments.

4. The IHSAA will not grant a scheduling exemption for teams in a duals state championship event, so teams that would block off a duals state championship Saturday would have missing scheduling points if they fail to qualify.  (This issue could be solved by simply assigning all eliminated teams to regionalized super duals if they've blocked off Team State Saturday...but then there would be no one to attend Team State)

An ideal world:

-IHSAA grants a schedule exemption for teams that qualify for classed Team State 

-IHSWCA coordinates with all schools to block off one Saturday for classed, regionalized preliminary rounds (e.g. 2nd or 3rd weekend of December) and one IHSAA schedule-exempt Saturday for Team State (e.g. first normal competition weekend of January)

-All schools use tournament scheduling points for the preliminary round and avoid scheduling anything for Team State Saturday--using the rest of their scheduling points other weekends and weekdays

Exactly my point on fix the schedule. The stupid qualifying point system needs to go. Nothing negative was intended to the IHSWCA, but IHSAA. I am hoping that the IHSWCA pushes the issue with the IHSAA. In order to change their (IHSAA) minds, you better make an $ sell. At least how you can make it profitable. I have voiced my displeasure with the IHSAA on Gridiron and other Indiana high school forums. Looked on their site buy haven't found and email addresses for IHSAA members to voice my disdain.

One of the only changes I could see, if ISHAA doesn't get on board to not count it as credits is take it to 16 teams in each class. I personally think it should be counted toward credits because those are higher quality matches than most teams get on a weekend. Just need to get them a 5th or 6th match that day. This could be done by wrestling all 1's, 2's, 3's etc....round robin style or take it to 16 teams in the future. This is if they wrestle 4 matches, I don't remember how many they get. Great tournament with great competition either way!

He would respond, Is wrestling still a sport in Indiana? Didn't we pass a title-9 like movement to drop it!

Probably so, but like others want to mention I am at least trying to help or make the sport better. The football representative will not be so lucky in my email to him and neither will Mr. Cox. Cox's words on his stance let me know I do not support his goals.

Faulkins is the head of football also.

There was another member listed for football as well when I looked last night. Might as well get both done in one shot. Do you have the exact wording on the dual/super meet and invite requirements for qualifiers? I'd appreciate it.

There was another member listed for football as well when I looked last night. Might as well get both done in one shot. Do you have the exact wording on the dual/super meet and invite requirements for qualifiers? I'd appreciate it.

Since you are new here...

The IHSAA is already aware of our team state duals.  They organized and ran the event from 1996-2012 as you have proposed (all in, current year results).  After 2012, the IHSAA decided to drop it.  Our coaches association asked to run the event and were given their blessing, but we did not receive any help/accommodations that were requested (i.e., weigh in exemption).  

The current format of our team state duals is the best we can do with the restrictions put on us by the IHSAA.  They know what we want but are not willing to provide anything that they don't do for other sports.  Feel free to contact them, but you are not going to like any response they give.

Off subject a little- there were recently meetings about realigning the sectionals again. Has there been anything come from that or will there be no change?

There were a handful of changes recommended by the committee.  I didn't feel that there was anything too earth shattering that came from the suggestions, but there were changes to what sectional, regional, or semi-state a handful of teams would go to.  The suggestions go before an IHSAA committee before anything is official.  We were instructed not to discuss anything that came from the meeting, but I feel this is vague enough to give an update, while not infringing upon the process that the IHSAA hopes to conduct.

Since you are new here...

The IHSAA is already aware of our team state duals.  They organized and ran the event from 1996-2012 as you have proposed (all in, current year results).  After 2012, the IHSAA decided to drop it.  Our coaches association asked to run the event and were given their blessing, but we did not receive any help/accommodations that were requested (i.e., weigh in exemption).  

The current format of our team state duals is the best we can do with the restrictions put on us by the IHSAA.  They know what we want but are not willing to provide anything that they don't do for other sports.  Feel free to contact them, but you are not going to like any response they give.

I know all about the single class tournament and how they are stuck in their ways. However, I want to hear on why or what could possibly persuade them to make some kind of compromise. I want to see if the reasoning stays consistent or if it changes. If it changes, then they really don't want to better the sports they offer and thus need to be held accountable.

I know all about the single class tournament and how they are stuck in their ways. However, I want to hear on why or what could possibly persuade them to make some kind of compromise. I want to see if the reasoning stays consistent or if it changes. If it changes, then they really don't want to better the sports they offer and thus need to be held accountable.

Bettering the sports they offer is very subjective.

What kind of change?

The schedule for one and how to determine qualifying points. I'd be actually fine with eliminating qualifying points in all sports. I know not everyone is on board with eliminating though. Have qualifying rounds to qualify for team state similar to what IHSAA did with single class but do in the current class system. I'd propose 8 teams in each class for the state finals. 2 schools in each class for each region (NW, NE, SW, and SE). If enough schools then make 8 into 16. Just my thoughts though.

What kind of change?

The schedule for one and how to determine qualifying points. I'd be actually fine with eliminating qualifying points in all sports. I know not everyone is on board with eliminating though. Have qualifying rounds to qualify for team state similar to what IHSAA did with single class but do in the current class system. I'd propose 8 teams in each class for the state finals. 2 schools in each class for each region (NW, NE, SW, and SE). If enough schools then make 8 into 16. Just my thoughts though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.