IHSWCA Team State Duals - Initial Invitations Sent Out

Ah, I see your Al Smith results  now....you are correct in your comparison that CE beat Carmel and Chesterton. Missed the duals at the event tho..musta been in the other gym.

Ironically, I agree that CE should be in. Hope that helps your gripe. I'm UncleJimmy...and I support CE! Just don't believe in a regionalistic AntiSouth movement...although I would support it, maybe.

East over L.N. and L.N. over Carmel, it's the closest I could come.

Look I know ppl take dumps on people when they argue about this every year. I'm just being "that guy" this year. 

Madison got left out in the cold 2-3 years ago and I wasn't this upset. The rich get richer and the next tier guys get told tough luck. Coop has built the program from literally nothing, and what's he get? "Nice try buddy, but you're not on the level of the big shots." 

It goes against every reason this tournament was started. 

Just playing devils advocate here...you do realize that 2 of the 6 or 7 voters were from your conference, right? And Chesterton is the first vote-in and the "rich get richer"? I admire your passion and I definitely wouldn't have thought a mistake had been made if CE got in...but you might be commenting mostly with your heart.

Look I know ppl take dumps on people when they argue about this every year. I'm just being "that guy" this year. 

Madison got left out in the cold 2-3 years ago and I wasn't this upset. The rich get richer and the next tier guys get told tough luck. Coop has built the program from literally nothing, and what's he get? "Nice try buddy, but you're not on the level of the big shots." 

It goes against every reason this tournament was started. 

Carmel beat Lawrence North last year

Just playing devils advocate here...you do realize that 2 of the 6 or 7 voters were from your conference, right?

Believe me, I'm well aware...

I feel we should have been included. I was surprised when we didn't earn enough points to be automatic bids to begin with, but we did have some tough losses at crucial times in the tournament series. No fault of our kids, we just didn't have our best matches at some critical times. It wasn't lack of preparation or effort, it just happens sometimes, it's wrestling, we lost to good kids. In the grand scheme of things, we aren't going anywhere that's for sure, we are just getting started.

I honestly thought the committee would see us as the best team that didn't get an auto invite. It didn't happen. Fine. It's our job to see that we are not in this position next year. Like Colat said in the flo video, gotta be 10 points better than the official... Same mentatility applies here.

It goes against every reason this tournament was started

What were all the reasons this tournament was started?

Like Kolat said in the flo video, gotta be 10 points better than the official... Same mentatility applies here.

Oh well I'd just like to go ahead and tell the official where he missed those ten points at.  :)

I'm not hyped on CE having to top our guys to get some of the points they will need to make the event next year, but if it has to happen at least I know its at the hands of a tough squad with some stand up guys coaching.  CE should be a handful for the next several years.

Edited by MattM

Columbus East not making it in can also bring up a good case for wrestle backs. C. Rooks, a likely top 4 106 pounder, had his only in-season loss to the eventual state champ in the ticket round. Had Rooks not gotten a death draw, East probably gets enough points to qualify.

Columbus East not making it in can also bring up a good case for wrestle backs. C. Rooks, a likely top 4 106 pounder, had his only in-season loss to the eventual state champ in the ticket round. Had Rooks not gotten a death draw, East probably gets enough points to qualify.

CE had a few bad breaks that were really out of their hands.

One being they had several wrestlers make it to the ticket round of semi-state, but ended up drawing the eventual Semi-State Champ or runner-up. Wrestle-backs or a luckier draw definitely would have helped Rooks score for them and I would suspect at least one of other wrestler, as well.

The other being the loss of a ranked senior earlier in the year due to injury. He would have made semi-state and had a real possibility of making state.

Edited by MattM

Believe me, I'm well aware...

I feel we should have been included. I was surprised when we didn't earn enough points to be automatic bids to begin with, but we did have some tough losses at crucial times in the tournament series. No fault of our kids, we just didn't have our best matches at some critical times. It wasn't lack of preparation or effort, it just happens sometimes, it's wrestling, we lost to good kids. In the grand scheme of things, we aren't going anywhere that's for sure, we are just getting started.

I honestly thought the committee would see us as the best team that didn't get an auto invite. It didn't happen. Fine. It's our job to see that we are not in this position next year. Like Colat said in the flo video, gotta be 10 points better than the official... Same mentatility applies here.

It was the Rooks vs Garcia ticket round match at 106 at the EVANSVILLE SS that both kept Col East out of team state and Rooks from being a state placer; and, well, we all know what happened with Asa after that match.

That's not true, Rooks winning state would have been five more points for them. They still would have been in the same boat as they are currently in...Just with a returning champ or placer.

It was the Rooks vs Garcia ticket round match at 106 at the EVANSVILLE SS that both kept Col East out of team state and Rooks from being a state placer; and, well, we all know what happened with Asa after that match.

I don't think you can put all the blame on Rooks. As stated earlier, it was a culmination of things that hurt Columbus East.

• 3 weeks later...

We are actually ahead of the game at this point in time.

I believe 29 of the 36 participating teams have signed and returned their contracts.  This is outstanding!

JD, myself and likely a couple of other committee members, will be meeting with FW Coliseum management sometime in the next couple of months to look at set-up options with the added space that we have purchased for next year's event.

Thank you,

Coach McCormick

Believe me, Hobart would of scored some points if Triana didn't draw Cummings in the ticket round. 

Hobart had 161 points

Realistically if Triana would have been the runner-up that would have added 11 points to their total for 172. They would have been within vote-in consideration, but likely a longer shot with teams like Chesterton, Columbus East, Carmel, Cathedral, and Lawrence North in the mix.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.