IHSWCA Team State Duals - Initial Invitations Sent Out

Region should be capitalized in this case because it is a definite location, make sure you get yourself together before you call someone out. Here's a literary term for you to learn, it's called irony, like calling someone out for their "non-English" skills and then you yourself having trouble with simple grammar rules.  

#micdrop 

Actually, grammar is the system and structure of language.  Non- capitalization of a proper noun is not considered a grammatical error.  Punctuation, capitalization and grammar are governed by different, non-intersecting rules.

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that you pointed out my error.  I know that some of the good people of  Da Region have a certain degree of sensitivity about their occupation of that specific geography.  As such, I will treat Da Region as the proper noun that it is.

Unfortunately, you missed the mark, by a wide margin, with your usage of irony.

1.        Irony is not a “literary term”, although it can be used as a “literary device.”  Neither of these terms works for you, as the context in which it was used fits neither.

2.       Irony is the unexpected, literal or opposite outcome, of the expected outcome.  For example, The Region Rat employs irony, in a very entertaining fashion, in nearly every one of his posts.  Your misunderstanding and mangled example of irony is ironic, in itself!

Don’t feel badly about it; there are smart people that struggle with the nuance of irony.

If you wish to skewer me again, first send it to me in a private message.  I will clean it up and send it back to you for posting.

At any rate, I appreciate your effort!  Accept this praise as one would when receiving a participation trophy for showing up for a few tee-ball games.

Your* welcome!

*Example of intentional irony

Actually, grammar is the system and structure of language.  Non- capitalization of a proper noun is not considered a grammatical error.  Punctuation, capitalization and grammar are governed by different, non-intersecting rules.

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that you pointed out my error.  I know that some of the good people of  Da Region have a certain degree of sensitivity about their occupation of that specific geography.  As such, I will treat Da Region as the proper noun that it is.

Unfortunately, you missed the mark, by a wide margin, with your usage of irony.

1.        Irony is not a “literary term”, although it can be used as a “literary device.”  Neither of these terms works for you, as the context in which it was used fits neither.

2.       Irony is the unexpected, literal or opposite outcome, of the expected outcome.  For example, The Region Rat employs irony, in a very entertaining fashion, in nearly every one of his posts.  Your misunderstanding and mangled example of irony is ironic, in itself!

Don’t feel badly about it; there are smart people that struggle with the nuance of irony.

If you wish to skewer me again, first send it to me in a private message.  I will clean it up and send it back to you for posting.

At any rate, I appreciate your effort!  Accept this praise as one would when receiving a participation trophy for showing up for a few tee-ball games.

Your* welcome!

*Example of intentional irony

Your CONTINUAL attempt at humor at other people's expense makes you a tool IMO. Enough already. 

These teams will be considered for the 2 vote-in wildcards in each class when the selection committee meets on April 21:

3A:

Both spots: Chesterton, Cathedral, Columbus East

Final spot only, along with 2 remaining teams above: Carmel, Lawrence North

2A:

Both spots: South Dearborn, Delta, Indian Creek, Evansville Memorial, Southridge

Final spot only, along with 4 remaining teams above: Mt. Vernon-Posey, Columbia City

1A:

Both spots: Elwood, Woodlan, Central Noble, Eastern-Greentown

Final spot only, along with 3 remaining teams above: Churubusco, Delphi, Eastern Hancock, Bremen

All of these teams will shortly be sent paperwork to fill out, in which they can share details of all expected incoming 8th grade or returning JV talent, as well as any circumstances that may have affected their state series performance, such as injuries that weren't included in Team State qualifying scores.  All of this will be used, along with the details of individuals' state series performance and all current-season team results, to determine which teams the committee feels have the best chance to have the best duals ability next season.

• 4 weeks later...

The final 2 teams in each class were voted on this evening.  Here are the selections:

3A: Chesterton and Carmel

2A: Delta and Evansville Memorial

1A: Elwood and Central Noble

These teams have been invited and will complete the field if they accept.

I wasn't in the room, but I did prepare team reports; so I can speculate about some strengths of teams at 3A.  No one aspect will ever determine anything, but here are some factors that I'm sure played a part:

The 3A teams were all very evenly matched when they saw each other head-to-head in duals or tournaments.  

Chesterton was perhaps a slight tick behind the others in results comparisons.  But they have a shocking 12 starters coming back (8 from semi-state or beyond...and really 13 if you look at their normal dual lineup before a 30-match kid got pinched out for the individual tourney) and anything at 11 or more is associated with big improvements in the following year.  No one else had more than 10 among the considered teams.  Also, they had the highest qualifying score, which means a little among evenly-matched resumes.

Cathedral has 9 starters back, plus a full-season injury that counted toward their score, so essentially 10 are back (6 SS or beyond).  But they lost a head-to-head to LN, who lost head-to-heads to Carmel and CE, and all of those teams have similar amounts coming back.

CE has 10 starters back (6 SS or better), which is a nice number, but I'm guessing wasn't enough to push them ahead of Chesterton in the first round of voting and left them to compete against Cathedral, Carmel and LN in the second round of voting.  They have 35 JV's, but no clear studs with any off-season accomplishments from among 8th graders or JVs.

LN will bring back 9 (5 SS or better), but no significant JVs or 8th graders.

Carmel brings back 9, plus a transfer-ineligible semi-state qualifier from 2015, so their score reflects 10 starters returning (6 SS or better).  They then have 62 JVs and 5 incoming MS all-state kids.  They also own the previously mentioned head to head over LN back when LN had all their stars.  I don't know for sure what elevated them over CE and Cathedral, but I know they only lost to Brownsburg, Warren, and the Illinois small school state champs (by 1 point), so they didn't have any losses to look at.  And the fact that they brought back the same number of starters coupled with almost twice as many JVs as CE and 5 MS all-state kids (a high percentage of whom advance to semi-state and state as freshmen every year)....probably put them over the top.

There's sometimes a team or two that separates themselves once you start looking at all the details, but these 5 were incredibly, incredibly close once you started looking at all the duals and tournaments and how many guys they were bringing back at each advancement level.  They will all be very good next year.

Edited by maligned

Columbus East is solid going back to when they ripped the only kiddie state not to be won by #TheCounty from us!

Really... The guys there now are the ones that were very tough as little guys. Those kids have been hitting the national tourneys for years now. They are mostly underclassmen, and are very tough. I predict the CE will have 5 state qualifiers this year. They are a good team. Wish my friends down there luck in the future!!!

Not a lot of schools down there in the Hoosier Nat'l Forrest area maybe? As compared to the economic engine that is da Region metropolis with houses separated by like 5 feet? I dunno....I just love these regional arguments. You'd think the state was the size of Texas or something. No love for the MidSouthCentralRegion!

That beats the 0 from our section

That might be why..you have a SECTION and not DA REGION?

Nice, I like it.

This would be comparable to Indiana Blue getting in and Gorillas being left out. Blue gets in b/c of name, not because of their accolades, when everybody saw Gorillas beat Blue.

Hope that helps. 

Once again thanks for helping my gripe out, should be the best of the best

Al Smith 

Team Scores

1.  Penn  226.0 2.  Portage  191.0 3.  Columbus East  150.0 4.  Lawrence North  149.0 5.  Bellmont  146.0 6.  Merrillville  136.0 7.  Lowell  134.0 8.  Prairie Heights  132.0 9.  Chesterton  129.0 10.  Ft. Wayne Carroll  121.5 11.  Jimtown  117.0 12.  Garrett  114.0 13.  South Bend Riley  104.5 14.  Elkhart Memorial  103.5 15.  Center Grove  98.5 16.  Hobart  87.5 17.  Lawrence Central  86.5 18.  Lake Central  81.0 19.  Danville  77.5 19.  South Bend Adams  77.5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.