The Regional Training Center v The Wrestling Academy

legger

Since the RTC's official start dates are near, I thought it would be interesting in hearing the average number of kids in any session throughout the state.

While some lucky folks live in a hotbed area of wrestling with 3 to 4 RTC's in easy driving distance, many are not.

Did the rise of The Wrestling Academy (wherever) take away from the local RTC or add extra opportunity to train?

I think the RTC's are the backbone of what is left of Freestyle training and should be supported whenever possible.

Take a look...

http://www.iswa.com/rtc-schedule/

Edited by legger

I don't have exact numbers, but off the top of my head at the Jeffersonville RTC we normally have 25 - 40 kids from Jeffersonville, New Albany, Corydon, Charlestown, and Floyd Central.

This coming offseason we will have Coach Fleeger from Cumberland University, Coach DiSalvo from Thomas Moore College, Coach Bradley from Marian University, Coach Warthan from University of Indianapolis, Coach Ruff from Lindsey Wilson College and coaches from Campbellsville, Saint Catherine, Indiana University, and Purdue running practices. Chad Red Sr. / Jr. will also be stopping in for a day as well.

If that doesn't convince kids to come in, I don't know what will.

Edited by patriotfan

I don't have exact numbers, but off the top of my head at the Jeffersonville RTC we normally have 25 - 40 kids from Jeffersonville, New Albany, Corydon, Charlestown, and Floyd Central.

This coming offseason we will have Coach Fleeger from Cumberland University, Coach DiSalvo from Thomas Moore College, Coach Bradley from Marian University, Coach Warthan from University of Indianapolis, Coach Ruff from Lindsey Wilson College and coaches from Campbellsville, Saint Catherine, Indiana University, and Purdue running practices. Chad Red Sr. / Jr. will also be stopping in for a day as well.

If that doesn't convince kids to come in, I don't know what will.

Some seriously impressive coaching there.

Since the RTC's official start dates are near, I thought it would be interesting in hearing the average number of kids in any session throughout the state.

We will be getting a better gauge on that this year as well as we tighten up the RTC program.  Exact numbers and exact kids will eventually be compiled and tracked to see who, what, when, where, etc.  This data could be turned into useful information but will primarily be used to help with recruiting for Team Indiana trips and resource allocation.  Some sites clearly have higher turnouts than others but we are in the process of strengthening them all.  We are even leaning in the direction of an RTC Dual Series when the time comes to add another dimension to Indiana's wrestling culture.

While some lucky folks live in a hotbed area of wrestling with 3 to 4 RTC's in easy driving distance, many are not.

More and more clubs and schools are interested in becoming a ISWA/USAW Regional Training Center, which is fantastic.  As long as we understand they are only for Freestyle and Greco, Schoolboy and up, with USAW membership - it's almost the more the merrier.  We do not, however, want to sacrifice quality for quantity.  We look to ensure each RTC is qualified, on the same page regarding our overall development, and we help supply them with the tools they need to make their RTC and school program better.  The results may be both instant and gradual, but there will be gains.  We are continuing to work with current and future sights to ensure we have locations set up for each region for our athletes.

Did the rise of The Wrestling Academy (wherever) take away from the local RTC or add extra opportunity to train?

In regards to attendance?  I can imagine statewide that there are a contingent of wrestlers who go to an academy practice rather than an RTC.  So on the front end, yes, but not as many as one may think.  On the back end, I believe academies are slowly making the RTCs stronger because they are slowly helping Indiana athletes get better so it balances out to say the least.  Academies fill a gap by offering year-round training and competition opportunities whereas RTCs, and the majority of school programs, are seasonal.  In our case the wrestlers who come to practice rather than go to an RTC are because of their relationship or agenda with the coaching staff, not the competition.  We may be a little thin but typically kids go to RTCs, especially the big ones, for the competition and guest clinician(s).  One really doesn't go wrong with either.

I think the RTC's are the backbone of what is left of Freestyle training and should be supported whenever possible.

One of the goals of the RTCs is to definitely help the advancement of the international styles in the state, but hopefully it's us as coaches who eventually become the backbone of it.  As the official liaisons between the athlete and sport, coaches have the most influence over selling, planting, watering or even enforcing the dream. Still, the RTCs are increasingly becoming better designed to provide that platform if needed.  Many of our Indiana kids truly do want to get better and take a leap (or tip-toe) of faith into this Freestyle and Greco thing, but just don't have the opportunity to get after it.  The RTC does help fill THAT gap.  With that said, it is important to impress the need to attend as many as we can, learn as much as we can, and train, compete and perform as much as we can.  It's an Olympic year so the spirit will definitely be in the air. Let this be the year we open our senses up to the alchemy, and the ISWA/USAW Regional Training Centers are a vital ingredient.

Edited by Coach Hull

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.