Rumph with a hot tournament run

HighCrotchNinja

Chris Rumph is going to be scary good by the time he is a senior. The kid has only wrestled for 2 years.  Once he learns how to wrestle the sky is the limit.  He was battling with Red but he put his head down for 1 second...just like Lee..and got cradled and put away.  You see those losses and don't realize he was losing to Hatch and Crary very close matches with less that 30 career matches.  Then 4 losses to Black , which other than kinda pinning himself defending a takedown against Molloy while winning would have been undefeated going into his match with Lee which he hung in there with for the most part.  I don't know if Rumph can stay under 145( and Lee just looks like he will be bigger by then) ,  but next year I wouldn't be shocked if at 138 you see Rumph and Black all the way through the tournament against one another then under the lights in Indy.

From a 7-4 record and unseeded at the Al Smith to being tied halfway through a state semi-finals match against Chad Red.  Not bad progress for his year.

He just kept getting better at the end of the season too.  Squeaks it out against Tolin at the DAC to avenge an earlier loss.  Beats Crary (who he'd lost to before) by 11 at regional and narrows the gap against Black from 11 to 6.  Techs the very tough Mishawaka kid at semi-state, controls Tolin this time, and narrows the gap with Black further to 4.  Shows up at state to dominate Molloy and mostly control a very tough Rhodes before standing toe to toe with Red.  He somehow just kept topping himself.  With this sort of upward trajectory, the sky is definitely the limit.

Not to take anything away from him, but the story states: "I was going to try and play basketball (in high school), but I realized I was too short for it and probably wouldn't get too far," he said. "I got the chance to join the wrestling team in middle school, and ever since then, I've been a wrestler." Although it doesn't say what year of middle school. Once again, he was fun to watch, and the sky is the limit for him!

Not to take anything away from him, but the story states: "I was going to try and play basketball (in high school), but I realized I was too short for it and probably wouldn't get too far," he said. "I got the chance to join the wrestling team in middle school, and ever since then, I've been a wrestler." Although it doesn't say what year of middle school. Once again, he was fun to watch, and the sky is the limit for him!

It said he's in his third season of wrestling.  Considering when most middle schools start their season, he's most likely only a few weeks past two calendar years of experience (although I also thought the "2 years" meant he was in his second season).

After watching this young man all season, I guarantee that this was not just a hot tournament run. It was merely the state's introduction to an impressive wrestling career. As the article posted above discusses, Coaches Keith and Vega (and all the Portage staff) are just beginning to scratch the surface of Rumph's talent. I look forward to being thoroughly impressed by this young man's development over the next few years as his experience and wrestling knowledge increase. The best part about it is that he is an even better person than he is a wrestler.

Shout out to all the Portage wrestlers and coaches...the next few years should be fun! Can't forget to mention Kasper's impressive showing this post-season too. And thank you to Bam, Gaige and the other seniors for setting a tremendous example for the future of Portage Wrestling. Very proud to be a long time Portage Wrestling fan!    

Edited by grapplegirl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.