2016 Junior National Dual Team

Coach Hull

2016 Junior National Dual Team

Currently 13 athletes automatically qualify for a spot on the Indiana Junior National Dual Team, which will be competing at the 2016 USAW Junior National Dual Championships held in Tulsa, OK on June 21-25, 2016.  

The 2016 USAW Junior National Dual Championship is one of the only tournaments where athletes are guaranteed matches against the country's best, and is the best precursor to the Cadet & Junior Nationals in Fargo, ND.  Athletes will face off against numerous State Champions, All-Americans, National Champions and possibly World Champions in a state vs. state dual format.  Teams from all over the country come to compete in this event including Illinois, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey, Minnesota, California, Florida, etc and bring their best. A loaded Oklahoma team took away the Freestyle title last year, led by Kaid Brock, Daton Fix, Joe Smith and countless other national standouts. An even heavier Illinois team took home the Greco title, led by Kamal Bey, Isaiah White, James Pawelski and the most accomplished team at the tournament.  Per the seeding criteria for this prestigious tournament outlined later, Indiana currently has 13 athletes who automatically qualify for this team:

120   Drew Hildebrandt (Cadet National runner-Up, All-American)

126  Paul Konrath (Cadet National Champion)

132   CJ Red (Cadet National Champion, American), Nick Lee (Cadet National Champions, All-American), 

138   Sage Coy (All-American), Brayton Lee (All-American), Evan Eldred (All-American)

145   Joe Lee (Cadet National Champion)

160   Jacob Covaciu (All-American)

182   Andrew Davison (Cadet National Champion, All-American)

195   Jake Cavins (All-American)

220   Kobe Woods (Cadet National Runner-Up)

285   Shawn Streck (All-American)

We are looking to take two or three teams: a Blue and/or Gold Freestyle Team, and a Greco-Roman Team.  Alternates are necessary for this tough and type of tournament so we look to take 2 wrestlers per weight class. We also understand athletes may not compete in these specific weight classes at the time of the tournament and are subject to change.  However, our goal is two-fold: 1) Compete and 2) Develop. We aim to go win with Indiana's best, and to also further develop our depth versus the best in the country.

The coaching staff will include some of the state's top coaches including Steve Bradley (Marian University, Head Coach), Travis Pascoe (Indiana University, Assistant Coach), Gary Myers (Hamilton Heights, former Olympian), and new Indiana arrival Alex Joseph (former Colorado and Oklahoma national team coach).  More coaches will be added as the teams fill up, but we are looking to make this a pivotal year for Indiana wrestling and look to make our mark.

The team itself is selected by a committee of ISWA Board Members and stems from the seeding criteria for the tournament:

A. FILA Junior World Champion 5 points
B. Junior National Champion 5 points
C. FILA Junior National Champion 5 points
D. Cadet/FILA Cadet National Champion 4 points
E. FILA Junior World Place Winner 3 points
F. Junior National Place Winner 3 points
G. FILA Junior National Place Winner 3 points
H. FILA Junior World Team Member 2 points
I. Cadet/FILA Cadet National Place Winner 2 points

J. Current Year Junior Regional Champion 1 point

As we lock in automatic qualifiers, the ISWA Selection committee will then aim to fill this national team based on current and past USAW, ISWA, and IHSAA success.  If you want to be one of the county's best, or simply just one of the state's best, this tournament is for you.  We will both actively pursue and accept interested wrestlers looking to take advantage of this opportunity.  More information will be added to this official thread as we progress along, but for immediate information please contact Nick Hull, Team Leader, at coachnhull@gmail.com, who will be there this weekend at Banker's Life.  

Best wishes this weekend to the athletes and coaches at the IHSAA State Tournament!

Edited by Coach Hull

No, being on the team last year doesnt automatically qualify you for a spot on the team this year.  It gives you a good chance to be selected when that time comes, especially being that successful - and especially with the amount of slots we will have available - but the names above are qualifiers based off of seeding points.  7-1 and 5-2 is a good showing but it doesn't automatically give you separation criteria. If you are automatically taking your child out because you already feel slighted based off of this, your child is the only one missing out. On the other hand, if you are interested in possibly being selected, feel free to contact me or one of the ISWA board members and we would be happy to put your wrestler in the pool.

Edited by Coach Hull

• 2 months later...

It's almost that time!

With Freestyle and Greco State this weekend, we will be finalizing the Indiana Junior National Dual Team.  Participation and placement at the 2016 ISWA Freestyle & Greco State Tournament qualifies athletes to be selected to the Indiana Junior National Dual Team, assembled to both compete and perform at the 2016 USAW Junior National Dual Championships on June 21st-25th in Tulsa, Oklahoma.   

Again, this event is arguably the toughest high school national dual tournaments in the country with over 40 states represented dueling it out for the Junior National Dual Championship. States like Illinois, Oklahoma, Ohio, New Jersey, California, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota, Utah, Washington, etc. are all represented by the best-of the-best, with a countless number of state champions, nationally ranked, All-Americans, National champions, possible World medalist and champions participating.  

This tournament is a great precursor to Fargo, and you receive guaranteed matches against this high-caliber competition. Undefeated wrestlers at this event are named to the Junior All-Dual Team, which ultimately adds to your national ranking! Not only do you receive the camaraderie between Indiana’s best as we collectively compete for our state, but there are a hundreds of college coaches in attendance - as well as several on this year’s staff!

This is a HUGE opportunity for you to take advantage of and single-handily could change your career in wrestling! We are looking to take one Greco team and two Freestyle teams with alternates at each weight, which means up to 4 wrestlers may go at one weight class in Freestyle. The competition and depth is fierce, so alternates for this tournament are a must in order to stay healthy and competitive.  These states come to win and we are hoping you can help usher in the next wave of Indiana athletes aiming to be one of the best in the country!!

With our two Freestyle Teams, we are looking to take a competitive Gold team and a developmental Blue team.  The Gold Team is assembled to go win the event, with selection being more in line with the Separation Criteria to that of the event itself.  The Blue Team is designed to give other dedicated Indiana athletes looking to compete against the nation’s best a chance to do just that, and usually end up making the most gains at this tournament.

At the culmination of ISWA Freestyle and Greco State, deposits of $200 will secure your spot  for the Blue Freestyle Team and/or Greco Team at the awards stand. If you are interested in wrestling for the Gold Team, depending on availability and the determination of the Selection Committee, we will determine if you are eligible to be on the Gold Team the following week.  All deposits for all teams will be due by May 19th or upon full team selection.  The balance is due at the beginning of camp on June 10th at Lawrence North High School.  

We understand this is around the time of several other national Folkstyle events that are great for team building.  As a coach and fan, I understand the importance of these events and they can be critical to the development of a high school program. I do however as a Team Leader want to make parents, athletes, and coaches understand that this tournament is for individual growth, which ultimately effects your team on the back end. It is an honor to represent Indiana at this event.  Success here, although participating for the sake of Indiana, pays major dividends to the individual athletes who are able to make this trip.  In some cases in the past we have had athletes fly out after wrestling at Disney or New Orleans to Oklahoma to ensure they can get a shot at least at the Freestyle portion of this event and competition.  

Nevertheless, we look forward to working with you in aiding ourselves individually as wrestlers and as a national team representing the great state of Indiana at this prestigious event.  I will post line-ups after the culmination of the ISWA State Tournament this weekend. Let's get better, Indiana!!

Why do you get more points for placing at UWW Juniors than actually being on the World team?

G. FILA Junior National Place Winner 3 points

H. FILA Junior World Team Member 2 points

@ Y2, that may be correct...and I'll even entertain this for the Indiana parents, coaches and fans....

Under the circumstances (decline of freestyle, emergence of folkstyle national tournaments....still) filling a Junior Dual Team has been increasingly difficult over the past decade or more.  Before, when the international styles were at their peak in Indiana, it was an absolute PRIVILEGE to wrestle on this team, and we would take two freestyle teams, LOADED with Indiana's best, with 2x state champs even being on the second team.  However, over time, with Folkstyle taking over and everyone going to Disney, New Orleans, etc, the Junior Dual Team became the neglected step-child of our Indiana national teams, in some cases even having to find someone the day the bus leaves to fill a 145 freestyle starting spot.  This is unacceptable as a coach here in Indiana who knows better, and definitely unacceptable for Indiana when we are out there getting SMASHED and end up in the pink pool.  

Again, it is not the fault of the athletes who went on these trips, because they absolutely wrestle their hardest.  It's just that at some point, wrestling hard doesn't get you anything but hurt, suplexed, or just simply beat down when we are outclassed as our 2x semi-state qualifier has to wrestle against a Junior World Team Member.  Which leads me to today, where I and a select group of others are becoming increasingly more vocal about stopping our literal sacrifice out here and at Fargo.  It is simply too late to teach basic Freestyle and Greco principles a week before the national tournament, the open practice right before weigh-ins, or during a bye round in the tournament.  It has to start sooner, younger, and much deeper.

With that said, in precious years the ISWA State Champ in each style would have the first right of refusal and, if declined, we would go down the list to fill the spot.  Well, again, this was difficult to do because our best Juniors had other obligations (primarily Disney or simply wanted to FINALLY take a summer off at this age).  That is all fine and dandy, but the best-of-the-best kids in the country weren't stopped by either.  The issue then became how do we compete with Disney and raise our kid's low expectations versus the best in the country.  Difficult decisions had to be made as we had to adapt to the times.  In a perfect world I would prefer to have people beating down the doors to get on this team, or being able to follow the old model of taking the state placers, or even having wrestle offs or a legitimate tournament to see who gets the spot. I even kinda hope we have too many kids and someone gets mad at me because they want to be on the team but can't because it's full. But this isn't a perfect world.  So, after 20 something years. we were fortunate enough to change the selection criteria in order to begin changing the culture and making this tournament a privelage again....like it is for Illinois, Oklahoma, Minnesota, California, Ohio, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Missouri, etc etc.

Taking two teams does two-fold: It allows us to compete for a national championship with Indiana's best (which is my personal goal for Indiana) and also provide those 2nd and 3rd tier guys the opportunity to benefit from this tournament, which truly is career changing for them.  Even though Indiana would get smashed and it was tough to watch, seeing these same guys bring this experience back to Indiana and run with it towards securing their legacy on the home front is very rewarding to watch as well.  Hence, we have a Gold Team and a Blue Team.  Although I am the Team Leader, we do have a committee that selects the team, to make it as fair as possible.  I spoke with Louis today and he made it perfectly clear that he is concerned about the benefits of the journey wrestling takes you on, more so than winning at all cost.  Me on the other hand, am focused on trying to do both.  If you build it, they will come.

I received a dozen or so text messages tonight alone and about the same amount of emails inquiring about getting on this team.  Perfect.  Parents, I will get with you all soon and we will begin to lock guys in this weekend.  Keep the inquiries coming.  I'm open to filling both teams for their purpose and we will.  In the future, when the culture changes hopefully sooner than later, I'm certain we will revisit our selection process and make any adjustments.  In the meantime, the success of this 2016 Junior Team is my only obligation right now and whoever happens to take advantage of it will be greatly, greatly benefited.

@gogoplata...being on the team is a great honor, but placing at the tournament means even more, so that's why they award another seeding point.  

Keep it coming Indiana.  We are going for it all.  Let this be the year we begin to change for the better.  I will post another update soon.

So what you are saying is that while you MUST get two local tournaments in to wrestle in our STATE tournament, it is NOT a requirement to be on a NATIONAL TEAM.

So my kid that follows the rules, spends two weekends in Indy to get two events in, wins state is likely not to be on the team if one of your preferred guys accepts. I'm glad he's going to Disney because I don't want him hoodwinkled by the ISWA.

Maybe I'm stepping out of the circle here Y2 but it looks like if your kid wins state he would still qualify for any of the weight classes (except maybe 132-138) as none of the weight classes has four kids in it and Coach Hull says he needs 2 kids per weight class for possibly 2 freestyle teams (4 kids needed) and a greco team (2 kids needed). Again I may be wrong here as I have no first hand knowledge of what the junior selection committee has on their minds.

I have a junior at 132. Basically he can do EVERYTHING by the book and probably shell out $500+ for events and travel then get snubbed. Yet two guys(who are amazing wrestlers) can skip local tournaments and the state tournament and get to go.

I think it is important to note, because of the qualification standards the ISWA has set your kid has to shell out all that money!

And now, even by winning ISWA state (in these few weight classes) he already has been taken out of consideration before he steps on the mat!

This keeps getting better and better! You cannot make this crap up!

120   Drew Hildebrandt (Cadet National runner-Up, All-American)

126  Paul Konrath (Cadet National Champion)

132   CJ Red (Cadet National Champion, American), Nick Lee (Cadet National Champions, All-American), 

138   Sage Coy (All-American), Brayton Lee (All-American), Evan Eldred (All-American)

145   Joe Lee (Cadet National Champion)

160   Jacob Covaciu (All-American)

182   Andrew Davison (Cadet National Champion, All-American)

195   Jake Cavins (All-American)

220   Kobe Woods (Cadet National Runner-Up)

285   Shawn Streck (All-American)

So, have any of these kids agree to go yet.  It would be nice to know if kids even have a shot of making the Gold or Blue teams before they spend a bunch of money on going to state this weekend.  Oh wait probably to late for that, because everyone probably already has spent 3-400 on qualifiers and getting ready to waist another 3-400 on state.  Another step on your PEEPEE move! 

My favorite part of this whole thread is that people would have been complaining if the kids mentioned above had been left off of the teams. The ISWA can't win on here, no matter what people would be complaining right now. This summer it's all that has been on the site, complaints, I have seen very few people try to come up with solutions.

Also isn't there something to be said for winning an ISWA state title? You guys are acting like someone if forcing you to wrestle in the event, and that it's a waste of money for you to go.

My favorite part of this whole thread is that people would have been complaining if the kids mentioned above had been left off of the teams. The ISWA can't win on here, no matter what people would be complaining right now. This summer it's all that has been on the site, complaints, I have seen very few people try to come up with solutions.

Also isn't there something to be said for winning an ISWA state title? You guys are acting like someone if forcing you to wrestle in the event, and that it's a waste of money for you to go.

I do understand what you are saying, but there is 52 weeks in a year.  Is it a coincidence that the ISWA have a habit of announcing things the week before state.  That is the point. If this was a change a the start of a new fiscal year for them, I think that it would still get some resistance just not as much.  I don't think the biggest problem here is what they are proposing, but is that they once again do it the week before state!  #getorganized #getyourcraptogether #quitsteppingonyourpeepee   For the Country!

I do understand what you are saying, but there is 52 weeks in a year. Is it a coincidence that the ISWA have a habit of announcing things the week before state. That is the point. If this was a change a the start of a new fiscal year for them, I think that it would still get some resistance just not as much. I don't think the biggest problem here is what they are proposing, but is that they once again do it the week before state! #getorganized #getyourcraptogether #quitsteppingonyourpeepee For the Country!

You're right. This should have been publicized sooner. Wait. It was! Coach Hull posted about this months ago where it was discussed. There was some resistance as you thought there'd be. Don't tell him to get his crap together when he is trying to represent the ISWA, provide information, communicate with some back-and-forth discussion, and make Indiana wrestling better.

Here is the biggest issue I have.

The ISWA puts a large sum of their profits into national team discounts. These profits are from card sales and more importantly their state tournaments. Depending upon the trip the discount can be from about $50 to $250 or more. So some kids get to see the discounts and don't have to pony up the money to even go to state. My kid is shelling out $500+ for his two qualifiers and state just to have a chance to be on the team. If he was one of Hull's Heros he wouldn't have to shell out that money and still reap the rewards of a discounted trip.

It's interesting how Hull talks up the importance of going to local events and how it will make you better. Then on another post basically says the "good" kids don't need to do that. I'm confused as why some kids much jump through hoops to get on the team and yet others don't have to do anything except show up for the bus.

Joe, I see your point and it's very valid. But I'd say that most (if not all) of them have been involved in the ISWA for many years and have paid their dues both with hard work and money spent over their careers.

I agree that this system isn't 100% fair, but it is what the other top states are doing. We can't compete with them when we try to take a fair team and they hand pick their studs. I'm sure there can be adjustments made to the team selection process that could improve it, though.

South Bend

Franklin- which required a hotel

State- which requires a hotel for two nights

Easily dropping $500+ on freestyle season. 

Penn's qualifier was the same date as Franklin's. He could have saved the price of a hotel and the extra food and gas.

Joe, I see your point and it's very valid. But I'd say that most (if not all) of them have been involved in the ISWA for many years and have paid their dues both with hard work and money spent over their careers.

I agree that this system isn't 100% fair, but it is what the other top states are doing. We can't compete with them when we try to take a fair team and they hand pick their studs. I'm sure there can be adjustments made to the team selection process that could improve it, though.

All the top states have class wrestling, so then you're on board with that then...right?

What is the point of even going to state when kids can look on here and see they don't have a spot on the team? 

Last year they had the same selection criteria and finished 19th out of 35 teams and had a couple forfeits on top of that. Now we are taking TWO teams with Disney around the same time! 

Penn's qualifier was the same date as Franklin's. He could have saved the price of a hotel and the extra food and gas.

He went to South Bend the week before and there were 3 total in his weight. With Penn's closed viewing of entries it was a better gamble to go to Franklin to wrestle more times and kids. His purpose was to wrestle matches, not just get a qualifier in.

So your kid chose to spend the extra money. He wasn't forced to do it by the ISWA or FBI or some other covert organization.

In all the threads and all the complaints, I don't recall seeing your solution to all of this. What say you Y2?

So your kid chose to spend the extra money. He wasn't forced to do it by the ISWA or FBI or some other covert organization.

In all the threads and all the complaints, I don't recall seeing your solution to all of this. What say you Y2?

Of course he wasn't forced to spend extra money. He had two others in his weight the week before, one from Indy the other from South Bend(who he wrestled 4 times between Greco and Freestyle). With closed registration it is a wiser choice to go to Franklin where you can see there are 8 kids in his weight. If the week before in the SAME area produced 3 guys what are the chances it produces more or less?

My solution is simple, the state champ should have priority. What incentive do the guys on the list have go to state? Heck these guys don't even have to practice one gut wrench and they are still on the team. If we want our state tournament to be better shouldn't our top guys be participating? We now have local events that are qualifiers for state, shouldn't state be a qualifier for nationals? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.