Top Eleven Ways To Identify a "Region" Fan at State

hook and half

the best thing about this thread is that no one is getting all upset reading it and knows its all in fun................guess that would be the best way to spot a region guy (can enjoy some good joking around, but if it gets out of hand will drop some pain on your butt).

They pronounce Hobart as HobErt

We pronounce it Hobert because it was a male given name to Fredrick Hobart Earl (If Hobart is a name you pronounce it with an E). The rest of the state pronounces it wrong. lol

Edited by brickfor6

I promice not to scratch it - not a olds - f250 wit a tool chest on da back wit a gun rack

I'm a little worried for that unsuspecting  wrestling fan that parks his Audi by Bankers Life.   On the other hand "ClownBaby" is smart enough to not drive his Audi.    He'll either drive the Beamer or the Mercedes and use the Valet parking at the Hilton.   So he'll be safe with slipping a $50 tip to the valet.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

1 way to spot someone not from the region....Talking smack about the region 

um...please tell me you are being intentionally ironic!?!

What is Rat Pidgin English and what does it sound like? Does this sound like a Bears Super Fan, the Canjun Cook Justin Wilson, or the Old Cajun man on Joe Dirt?

Mayor, you got me on this one.  A phonetic jethro bodine marries forrest gump and has a baby rodent?

this just in from hookticia:

"#12, a region fan has a permanent indention on his chest from beating it and dislocated shoulders from self-back patting."

tripleb, she is too young to know about barry horowitz....

Penn should not be in anybody's definition of the Region.

Depending who you ask, there's 2 definitions of the Region.

The first is the area known as the "Calumet Region".  This is Hammond, East Chicago, Whiting, Gary, Munster, Highland, Griffith.  You have to be an old school Region Rat to consider just this area the Region.

The "new school" definition of the Region includes pretty much all of Lake and Porter Counties.  This would expand the "old school" definition to include Lake Central, Crown Point, Hanover Central, Lowell, Merrillville, Hobart, Lake Station (aka Snake Nation), Portage, Valparaiso, Chesterton, Wheeler.

Edited by RegionRoyalty

Penn should not be in anybody's definition of the Region.

Depending who you ask, there's 2 definitions of the Region.

The first is the area known as the "Calumet Region".  This is Hammond, East Chicago, Whiting, Gary, Munster, Highland, Griffith.  You have to be an old school Region Rat to consider just this area the Region.

The "new school" definition of the Region includes pretty much all of Lake and Porter Counties.  This would expand the "old school" definition to include Lake Central, Crown Point, Hanover Central, Lowell, Merrillville, Hobart, Portage, Valparaiso, Chesterton.

Thanks for the clarification. My husband is friends with 2 Lowell Dads, KH and CC. He is proud to say he has 2 Region Rat Friends. :-) 

You also spot them by:  

1.  Guys complaining about how far da drive to Indy is for their annual vacation.

2.  Critizicing the Logansport regional for not being tough enough and not sending enough guys to state.

3.   Try to get the Mullet at the local barbershop.

4.   You spot Da wrestling tattoo on the ankle.

5.   Trying to get their sandwich at the concession stand dipped in Gravy.

6.  You hear them saying the only reason the Indy schools are getting better is because Da coaches used to coach in DA "Region"

7.   Also at the concession, stand they're asking why the beer tap isn't tapped.

8.   You hear them say "Has it ever occurred when the  EC or the MV never had the most state champions.

9   You overhear them in the parking lot saying, " I cant believe dat guy parked dat nice car dere in da public parking lot".

Fixed

Da Region guy will be the one parking the 1986 Olds Cutlass with the White Sox hat in the back window next to ClownBaby's Audi...real close!

Let's not be hyperbolic...they've upgraded to a '97 Pontiac Bonneville by now...

Edited by Forrester

Hahahaha, omg...lol  I love when a country bunkin' backwards ass hilljack sister's cousin's sister's brother's sister who you call mom or wife or honey or whatever makes a funny...cracks me up.  I like how you can watch a few episodes of The Sopranos and read a few of the Rat's posts and think you know us...come live a day in our shoes, Da Region would eat you up and spit you back to Mama's tat.  Great post though, funny stuff...all in good fun, you know, funny like a clown.  The strange thing is, it was as if you were describing the rest of the state with several of them...hmmm.  And oh yeah...Indy's not a big city, not even close.  And going to IU for the weekend doesn't make you a world traveler.  Really though, I love you guys...and your sister/wife   :)

Da Region is what it is...we can handle the poking fun and even the harsh criticisms...we're the land of big shoulders, bring it.  As for our ego, it's called a survival tool.  We are products of the steel mills, the refineries, the South Side of Chicago, the Big 3 of Hammond, Gary, and East Chicago...drugs, murder, and organized crime are "normal" to us.  We root for Chicago sports and family is everything to us...even if we don't share the same blood.  This is fun, I love you guys!

Even though I'm a product of Da Region, born and raised in Hammond one block from the State Line, I love the  whole state I live in.  We have diversity and pride...and in this case we have the greatest sport on the planet that brings us all together.  Looking forward to a great weekend as always...safe travels to all the wrestlers and their families as well as all the fans.  

One last thing...does somebody have the individual numbers of State Champs/Place Winners from Da Region as opposed to the rest of the state???  Just curious...or maybe it's my ego that's curious, lol   ;)

Edited by notapillowbiter

Hook n Half,

The Region is so busy beating our own chest and patting ourselves on the back that we wrote a book about the history of Region wrestling to sell to the rest of the state about how good we are.... Oh wait, no we didn't. That was you and that book was about Evansville Mater Dei.

Speaking of the Mater Dei book, I'm surprised they even let you have sharp objects to write with in the geriatric ward.

Found this awhile ago and thought it fits this thread:

Planning on visiting Chicago? Here's a few things you should know...

Grachki (grach'-key) 
Chicagoese for "garage key" as in, "Yo, Theresa, waja do wit da grachki? Howmy supposta cut da grass if I don't git intada grach?" 

Sammich
Chicagoese for sandwich. When made with sausage, it's a sassage sammich; when made with shredded beef, it's an Italian Beef sammich, a local delicacy consisting of piles of spicy meat in a perilously soggy bun.

Da
This article is a key part of Chicago speech, as in "Da Bears" or "Da Mare" -- the latter denoting Richard M. Daley, or Richie, as he's often called.

Jewels 
Not family heirlooms or a tender body region, but a popular name for one of the region's dominant grocery store chains. "I'm goin' to the Jewels to pick up some sassage."

Field's
Marshall Field, a prominent Chicago department store (used to be, but no more since Macy's moved in). Also Carson Pirie Scott, another major department store chain, is simply called "Carson's." 

Tree 
The number between two and four. "We were lucky dat we only got tree inches of snow da udder night."

Over by dere
Translates to "over by there," a way of emphasizing a site presumed familiar to the listener. As in, "I got the sassage at the Jewels down on Kedzie, over by dere." 

Kaminski Park
The mispronounced name of the ballpark where the Chicago White Sox (da Sox) play baseball. Comiskey Park was renamed U.S. Cellular Field (da Cell) 

Frunchroom
As in, "Get outta da frunchroom wit dose muddy shoes." It's not the "parlor." It's not the "living room." In the land of the bungalow, it’s the "frunchroom," a named derived, linguists believe, from "front room."

Use
Not the verb, but the plural pronoun 'you!' "Where use goin'?" 

Downtown
Anywhere near The Lake, south of The Zoo (Lincoln Park Zoo) and north of Soldier Field. 

The Lake
Lake Michigan (What other lake is there?) It's often used by local weathermen, "cooler by The Lake."

Braht
Short for Bratwurst. "Gimme a braht wit kraut."

Goes
Past or present tense of the verb "say." For example, "Den he goes, 'I like this place'!" 

Guys
Used when addressing two or more people, regardless of each individual's gender.

Pop
A soft drink. Don't say "soda" in this town. "Do ya wanna canna pop?" 

Sliders
Nickname for hamburgers from White Castle, a popular Midwestern burger chain. "Dose sliders I had last night gave me da runs."

The Taste
The Taste of Chicago Festival, a huge extravaganza in Grant Park featuring samples of Chicagoland cuisine which takes place each year around the Fourth of July holiday.

"Jeetyet?"
Translates to, "Did you eat yet?"

Winter and Construction
Punch line to the joke, "What are the two seasons in Chicago?"

Cuppa Too-Tree
Chicagoese for "a couple, two, three" which really means "a few." For example, "Hey Mike, dere any beerz left in da cooler over by dere?" "Yeh, a cuppa too-tree." 

588-2300
Everyone in Chicago knows this commercial jingle and the carpet company you'll get if you call that number -- Empire! 

Junk Dror
You will usually find the 'junk drawer' in the kitchen filled to the brim with miscellaneous, but very important, junk. 

Southern Illinois
Anything south of I-80. This is where Smothers' is from....

Expressways
The Interstates in the immediate Chicagoland area are usually known just by their 'name' and not their Interstate number: the Dan Ryan ("da Ryan"), the Stevenson ("da Stevenson"), the Kennedy (da "Kennedy"), the Eisenhower (da "Ike"), and the Edens (just "Edens" but "da Edens" is acceptable).

Gym Shoes
The rest of the country may refer to them as sneakers or running shoes but Chicagoans will always call them gym shoes! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.