Top Eleven Ways To Identify a "Region" Fan at State

hook and half

Penn should not be in anybody's definition of the Region.

Depending who you ask, there's 2 definitions of the Region.

The first is the area known as the "Calumet Region".  This is Hammond, East Chicago, Whiting, Gary, Munster, Highland, Griffith.  You have to be an old school Region Rat to consider just this area the Region.

The "new school" definition of the Region includes pretty much all of Lake and Porter Counties.  This would expand the "old school" definition to include Lake Central, Crown Point, Hanover Central, Lowell, Merrillville, Hobart, Lake Station (aka Snake Nation), Portage, Valparaiso, Chesterton, Wheeler.

see #10

Hook n Half,

The Region is so busy beating our own chest and patting ourselves on the back that we wrote a book about the history of Region wrestling to sell to the rest of the state about how good we are.... Oh wait, no we didn't. That was you and that book was about Evansville Mater Dei.

Speaking of the Mater Dei book, I'm surprised they even let you have sharp objects to write with in the geriatric ward.

correct!  a barnes & noble in the region did not sell a single copy!  "what's the deal," asked I.  they said my presentation was way off.

i re-issued it as a coloring book complete with crayons, a helmet and chin strap.  although they sold well, it created problems.  evidently, the brightly-colored waxy crayons looked like food to some of your denizens.

have one of the volunteers at "the center" read it to you.  you might enjoy it!

Edited by hook and half

Here's my #10.   Its a guy you can post this list about semi-anonymously on Indianamat.   But   is also the same guy with a rodent on his shirt you see at the state tournament who comes up to you and says " Are you da guy insulting da Region on Indianamat"?     And you respond:  "No, No, No,  that wasn't me. Its the guy over there with Mater Dei shirt on   that posted that.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Ok. Spot a region guy:

10- Kid wrestled in more IKWF events than ISWA

9- Chooses to wear black leather coat (not bibs)

8- 3rd or 4th generation Latino American

7- wife could coach intricately from the 4 th row with out saying "get em" or "that's what I'm talking about"

6-Can order anything on a Mexican menu in Spanish

5-Has a full set of teeth (sometimes braces too) well into his 40s

4- Works in an industry where people sometimes lose their life

3-Can make a "run for the border" at halftime on Sunday and see the 3rd quarter start

2-May be driving the wrong way on a one way in downtown Indy

And the number one way to possibly identify a wrestling fan from the Region:

He may be an NCAA Champion or All American!

Few other identifiable things about the Calumet Region.

If a party features bratwurst, pierogies, tamales, mostaccioli, ribs, greens, and a pinata.

If you know what the outer drive is

If you spend half the summer at the beach

If you can name all of the high schools that used to be in Gary

If you know where Michael Jackson's boyhood home is

If you understand the magnitude of pierogi fest

If you can drive from Bishop Noll, to Hammond High, to TF North, to Washington, and back to Noll without GPS

If you know why Ridge Road is called so

If you listened to wjob am radio this morning

http://jimdedelow.podbean.com/e/3026-ihsaa-state-finals-wrestling-preview-nwi-edition/?token=0d6f05fa9e394e0e4e47843298ddbe70

Alright I'll take one for the team...WTF is the significance of 2-19? Early Easter?

Il give ya a hint - what is da area code of da mecca of wrasllin in indiana ? 

219 - Region area code

2-19, Friday's date.

All "Da Region" kids will for sure be extra feisty, like a wolf during a full moon.

219 - Region area code

2-19, Friday's date.

All "Da Region" kids will for sure be extra feisty, like a wolf during a full moon.

Kinda like groundhog day for rats 

If a party features bratwurst, pierogies, tamales, mostaccioli, ribs, greens, and a pinata.

If you can drive from Bishop Noll, to Hammond High, to TF North, to Washington, and back to Noll without GPS

http://jimdedelow.podbean.com/e/3026-ihsaa-state-finals-wrestling-preview-nwi-edition/?token=0d6f05fa9e394e0e4e47843298ddbe70

When you were a kid drove down Indy blvd  and got to whiting and complained about da smell - and your dad coreected and said dat smells like money too me

Did you guy's know we had a chance to lose the 219 area code? A random draw was done to see what part of the upper third of the state would keep the 219 area code. We obviously are so good from da region that we never doubted we would beat out the Ft. Wayne area in this "random" draw competition.

Did you guy's know we had a chance to lose the 219 area code? A random draw was done to see what part of the upper third of the state would keep the 219 area code. We obviously are so good from da region that we never doubted we would beat out the Ft. Wayne area in this "random" draw competition.

Yet another way to recognize da Region...riggin' elections/votes/drawings!!

Edited by UncleJimmy

Hahahaha, omg...lol I love when a country bunkin' backwards ass hilljack sister's cousin's sister's brother's sister who you call mom or wife or honey or whatever makes a funny...cracks me up. I like how you can watch a few episodes of The Sopranos and read a few of the Rat's posts and think you know us...come live a day in our shoes, Da Region would eat you up and spit you back to Mama's tat. Great post though, funny stuff...all in good fun, you know, funny like a clown. The strange thing is, it was as if you were describing the rest of the state with several of them...hmmm. And oh yeah...Indy's not a big city, not even close. And going to IU for the weekend doesn't make you a world traveler. Really though, I love you guys...and your sister/wife :)

Da Region is what it is...we can handle the poking fun and even the harsh criticisms...we're the land of big shoulders, bring it. As for our ego, it's called a survival tool. We are products of the steel mills, the refineries, the South Side of Chicago, the Big 3 of Hammond, Gary, and East Chicago...drugs, murder, and organized crime are "normal" to us. We root for Chicago sports and family is everything to us...even if we don't share the same blood. This is fun, I love you guys!

Even though I'm a product of Da Region, born and raised in Hammond one block from the State Line, I love the whole state I live in. We have diversity and pride...and in this case we have the greatest sport on the planet that brings us all together. Looking forward to a great weekend as always...safe travels to all the wrestlers and their families as well as all the fans.

One last thing...does somebody have the individual numbers of State Champs/Place Winners from Da Region as opposed to the rest of the state??? Just curious...or maybe it's my ego that's curious, lol ;)

I grew up a "hilljack" in Southern Indiana, and I wrestled in the EV SS. I have now lived in Chicago, not Northwest Indiana for 12 years. Please don't refer to yourself as someone from a big city to pretend you are more cosmopolitan than other people from Indiana. You don't live in Chicago, and you are just as big of a "hilljack" as everyone else from Indiana, myself included. People from the city look at you the same way you look at everyone else in Indiana, with detain. Simply because you live near Chicago doesn't make you better than any other Hoosier. Also, if you are going to use a Carl Sandberg quotation at least get it right.

Yet another way to recognize da Region...riggin' elections/votes/drawings!!

I would say that is region 100 percent

Hahahaha, omg...lol  I love when a country bunkin' backwards ass hilljack sister's cousin's sister's brother's sister who you call mom or wife or honey or whatever makes a funny...cracks me up.  I like how you can watch a few episodes of The Sopranos and read a few of the Rat's posts and think you know us...come live a day in our shoes, Da Region would eat you up and spit you back to Mama's tat.  

Alright last one and I'm done here..."Mamas tat"...yet another way to recognize your from da Region!

All in good fun. Da Region is awesome! Be safe and good luck to all the participants.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.