Should the 132lb final be last on Saturday?

Y2CJ41

289 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lee vs. Red be the last match

• Yes, why are you even asking?
    • No, I want to see Streck maul someone last.

The IHSAA doesn't make a dime off concessions

You mean I'm not contributing anything back to the wrestling community when I buy the $10 barbecue nachos and the $6 diet coke at Bankers Life.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

I agree with many of the points on both sides. However, I favor keeping it the way it is. Wrestlers, regardless of the weight, don't wrestle for the fans. They wrestle for themselves. I just think it would be the wrong message (read basketball like) to alter the system to get more fans to stay and watch to make wrestling more popular. Wrestling isn't for everybody and we should not change just to adapt to others. That goes against what wrestling is about. I like that it is a select group.

Those of us who truly appreciate it (wrestlers and fans) will appreciate it no matter who wrestles last. IMHO

We can do more, just not to that extent. I would just draw the line there.

Catering to only hard core fans isn't going to grow the sport. Doing new an innovative things like having a main event at the state finals will grow the sport. It's pretty lackluster to have the main event midway through the event.

Catering to only hard core fans isn't going to grow the sport. Doing new an innovative things like having a main event at the state finals will grow the sport. It's pretty lackluster to have the main event midway through the event.

Not to mention moving 132 to the end would likely keep TV viewers longer.  The only negative I see is that i don't think you'd want to do it as a one time thing.  I think if you do this, a blind draw for the finals would need to continue in future seasons.  JMO

Not to mention moving 132 to the end would likely keep TV viewers longer.  The only negative I see is that i don't think you'd want to do it as a one time thing.  I think if you do this, a blind draw for the finals would need to continue in future seasons.  JMO

I think having a small committee of people meeting after the semi-finals to decide the final match would be great. Most years it wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to decide which match to have last. You don't need to have a random draw, just assign it. They are the IHSAA they can give themselves an exception from the rules.

I've worked with ESPN for the NCAA finals and they LOVE having the last match as something meaningful.

I think having a small committee of people meeting after the semi-finals to decide the final match would be great. Most years it wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to decide which match to have last. You don't need to have a random draw, just assign it. They are the IHSAA they can give themselves an exception from the rules.

I've worked with ESPN for the NCAA finals and they LOVE having the last match as something meaningful.

This is exactly what I am thinking. I would like to nominate myself to this committee. :)

So, the other 13 Championship matches are meaningless? I would think that a Senior, who wrestling in the finals would disagree.Or, a 4 seed winning it all.

So, the other 13 Championship matches are meaningless? I would think that a Senior, who wrestling in the finals would disagree.Or, a 4 seed winning it all.

Huh?? Who said they're meaningless??? I bet every wrestler in the finals would love to be finished with their match so they could watch Chad and Nick go at it. The order of matches would not matter one bit to those kids and NONE of them would feel disrespected.

I'm not saying it's any of you folks, but it seems like heavyweight is the meaningless weight, people leave early and bankers life is almost empty. A blind draw would be awesome to see because you could possibly have the bigger guys in the middle and more people watching. Just my opinion and what I've noticed. It would be fun to see a lee vs red final if it happens, but heck any match is fun to watch under the lights!

No one is saying anything is meaningless. Should we stop giving out outstanding wrestler awards at tournaments because it may make other kids feel less important?

Red vs Nick Lee will go down as one of the greatest matches in Indiana wrestling history. None of the finalist would be dissapointed if they were not the last match, because now they could sit down and enjoy the 132 final. It takes nothing away from the other wrestlers, and keeps butts in seats for longer, and would give more respect to the heavier weights who usually have less people watching because the fans want to beat the traffic. 

No one is saying anything is meaningless. Should we stop giving out outstanding wrestler awards at tournaments because it may make other kids feel less important?

There's a difference between the 2 points here. One is an award that's given after everything has been said and done. The other is putting someone before everyone before it even begins.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited for this match up should it happen as the next person, but not at the expense of another wrestlers big stage opportunity.

I'm in favor of this not because I desperately want to see it as the main event, but because I agree with the other people who have said it would be nice for the heavyweights to not have to go on last when half the crowd has already left, or are headed for the doors.

There's a difference between the 2 points here. One is an award that's given after everything has been said and done. The other is putting someone before everyone before it even begins.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited for this match up should it happen as the next person, but not at the expense of another wrestlers big stage opportunity.

Never said any match was meaningless. The reason that people want this match is because it's the main event. If this was the first match you'd have about 2,000 people there for the other 13 matches.

It's about promotion of the sport and giving the fans the best match for the end. This has been a great success for the NCAAs and ESPN with having a meaningful match at the end. Last year having Logan Stieber last going for his 4th title along with a team race that could hinge on his win was great for the sport. We can do the same here in Indiana and help promote the sport, the buzz around this match is tremendous and like no other in most people's memory. 

For this sport to grow we have to go outside of our comfort zones to look at ways to bring positive attention to the sport. When two nationally ranked guys lock horns we need to promote. If we'd have this as the last match of the night the buzz would grow as the night wore on. We'd get to see Streck maul someone, we'd get to see Woods vs. Parris, we'd get to see who survives at 106, etc. 

We have a great opportunity to give our sport some great exposure not only in the state, but in the country. I know we are getting probably more love for our state tournament from Intermat this week than we usually do. Hmmm I wonder why...do you think nationally people care about Streck mauling someone or Red vs. Lee?

There is a reason why MMA and boxing events have their biggest fight as the last one, the same should happen in wrestling. Wanting to keep tradition, some NFHS random rule, or worrying about someone not feeling their state title match is import is ludicrous. Most the crowd will leave before Streck wrestles, there is no doubt and yet you want to imply I think 13 other matches are meaningless. I won't leave, but it seems thousands others will deem his match meaningless and SHOW it by heading to their car.

Never said any match was meaningless. The reason that people want this match is because it's the main event. If this was the first match you'd have about 2,000 people there for the other 13 matches.

It's about promotion of the sport and giving the fans the best match for the end. This has been a great success for the NCAAs and ESPN with having a meaningful match at the end. Last year having Logan Stieber last going for his 4th title along with a team race that could hinge on his win was great for the sport. We can do the same here in Indiana and help promote the sport, the buzz around this match is tremendous and like no other in most people's memory. 

For this sport to grow we have to go outside of our comfort zones to look at ways to bring positive attention to the sport. When two nationally ranked guys lock horns we need to promote. If we'd have this as the last match of the night the buzz would grow as the night wore on. We'd get to see Streck maul someone, we'd get to see Woods vs. Parris, we'd get to see who survives at 106, etc. 

We have a great opportunity to give our sport some great exposure not only in the state, but in the country. I know we are getting probably more love for our state tournament from Intermat this week than we usually do. Hmmm I wonder why...do you think nationally people care about Streck mauling someone or Red vs. Lee?

There is a reason why MMA and boxing events have their biggest fight as the last one, the same should happen in wrestling. Wanting to keep tradition, some NFHS random rule, or worrying about someone not feeling their state title match is import is ludicrous. Most the crowd will leave before Streck wrestles, there is no doubt and yet you want to imply I think 13 other matches are meaningless. I won't leave, but it seems thousands others will deem his match meaningless and SHOW it by heading to their car.

Thats actually a really convincing argument.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I am a huge wrestling fan and have been looking forward to this State Finals more than any other's in the past for the reason's all stated above, but I also have a son who may be wrestling at Indy Nationals the next day so in order to get him home and get him to bed to be sort of rested for the next day I likely won't stick around for the last or last couple of weight classes.  Now if the last weight class was 132 he would have to wrestle tired the next day because there is no way we would leave !!!!  That is probably the feeling a great majority of the people will share.  Sorry but it is just reality.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.