Should the 132lb final be last on Saturday?

Y2CJ41

289 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lee vs. Red be the last match

• Yes, why are you even asking?
    • No, I want to see Streck maul someone last.

Even though this is a good idea.  I'm going off precedence, I don't remember many instances were the IHSAA bent a rule.  I would call them a very inflexible organization.   I think they're logic  would result in a no response  with an explanation like,  this is a slippery slope.  If we moved weight classes,  then we might  have to make the 100M hurdles the last event at the state track tournament or we might have make the 100 butterfly the last event at the state swim tournament.    

I agree but what if their television partner exerted a little influence? If someone with wrestling knowledge can get to a Fox marketing higher up and explain/convince them exactly what "content" they are working with this weekend in the form of matchups/D1 talent and how they can in turn parlay that into RATINGS and AD $, wouldn't a tv partner have the muscle to exert some influence? Let's face it, FoxSports probably doesn't have a lot of knowledge about the sport but if someone can get an influential ear it could be a win/win. As we rehash how classing can grow the sport, this weekend presents a unique opportunity to get fresh sets of eyes on wrestling if it can be presented/packaged correctly....and especially young, just getting into the sport eyes of kids! My BallU degree isn't marketing so not sure how to pull it off but it does seem that if the proper people can do the proper selling of content to to the TV execs it could work. I thought Fox did a good job last year but now you have several matches that hopefully come to fruition that would draw a lot of interest. Of course, it would need to start soon so people watching Pacers or whatever is on FoxMidwest can get their interest peaked but it seems like it could be done.

If they did not do it for Alex Tsirtsis why do it for Chad Red?

Heck they did not even do it for Lance Ellis.

Tournament directors being able to change the order of weights is a fairly new NFHS rule. It wasn't an option for Alex and Lance. It is an option now.

If I remember correctly, the purpose of the rule was for team score drama. If the top 2 teams had guys facing each other in the finals, it could be moved to the end to add to the suspense of which team would win. Dake/Taylor followed that because Penn State and Cornel were both in contention for the team title.

If they did not do it for Alex Tsirtsis why do it for Chad Red?

Heck they did not even do it for Lance Ellis.

The NCAA just started doing a couple years ago.. it didn't happen for Cael Sanderson either, but it adds some suspense to the night..

If someone can explain a better way to have a full packed house for the heavier guys, I will think about changing my mind.

Another positive, if the weight classes were changed around, the big boys would actually have a crowd there watching them. Every year around 195-220 people start leaving so there's only a few hundred people left watching the big guys that rightfully deserve a crowd. The final 132 lb match is a win win, given its Lee and Red. 

As for fans leaving, I'm sure if they announce the order and have the face off in the proper order with announcer listing accomplishments, most fans would certainly stick around for it. If they don't then that's on them for only being a casual fan and missing what will hopefully be a fun match. Plus that means, more fans can move closer to the action.

I think Indiana wrestling fans are intelligent enough to realize a kid is going for his 4th title and on top of that having an undefeated career. Don't sell Indiana wrestling fans short on intelligence.

I can't believe it and he probably can't either, but I totally agree with him on this one!

Edited by RASSLER4LIFE

Question is why are the people leaving? Lack of action or just cause it's getting late? Maybe if stalling was called more like the lighter weight classes, it would help? Never understood why all of a sudden stalling in the last 15-20 seconds is called and sometimes twice, yet that is how the match had been going for the previous 5:45. I am personally looking forward to the big boys this year! Hasn't always been the case though.

Edited by RAJR

If anyone has any connections with the TV production, put a bug in their ear to show the wrestler introductions.  Last year, they program started after the intros and went right into the first match after just a few seconds of talking about the event.  Very disappointing!

If anyone has any connections with the TV production, put a bug in their ear to show the wrestler introductions. Last year, they program started after the intros and went right into the first match after just a few seconds of talking about the event. Very disappointing!

While I agree the intros are great, I'm assuming the decision to cut that out was due to the tv time frame they are attempting to fit into.

Question is why are the people leaving? Lack of action or just cause it's getting late? Maybe if stalling was called more like the lighter weight classes, it would help? Never understood why all of a sudden stalling in the last 15-20 seconds is called and sometimes twice, yet that is how the match had been going for the previous 5:45. I am personally looking forward to the big boys this year! Hasn't always been the case though.

Everybody is ready to get a jump start on the 12 and 16 oz curls, that's why!

Guys I reached out to Mr Faulkens to ask if this would be a possibility and he said it had been brought up but would not happen as the rules state it must be a blind draw for start weight.  Either way alot of solid possible championship matches could happen this year and i am excited to see them all.

Blind draw with the blind fold off....duh or blind draw but only one weight in the bag, come on Dude, there are ways.

Do whats best for the sport, maybe if we flood the IHSAA with thousands of emails all week they will listen to the voice of the people.

My buddies did not die face down in the muck so that someone would see a situation as so black and white and follow the "rules". 

Let's just give Lee (or your favorite runner-up) his metal Friday night... :huh:

If you saw what Lee did to Malloy on Saturday you'd understand... 

Do whats best for the sport, maybe if we flood the IHSAA with thousands of emails all week they will listen to the voice of the people.

IHSAA listen to reason? Ha! Hello Black, meet White. White, this is Black.  I'm sure you'll have a wonderful friendship.

Keeps the house packed longer, which means concession stand and vendor sales go up, NCAA has done it along with some Senior level tournaments.  Not a slap in the face to anyone to say one match is more anticipated than another.  Overall good for the sport.  

If you can convince this to the IHSAA with the fact of more money being possible, this might open their eyes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.