Something seems a bit fishy in the FW Semi-state

decbell1

Yeah, sorry.  It's been discussed lots of times, so I didn't clarify.  The coaches feel very strongly about the principle of an "all-in" event, so they want to count as many schools as possible toward classification.  Also, 3 at sectional is the cutoff the IHSAA uses for counting sectional scores.  

Moving the number to seven and even five is still an all in event, as all schools have the opportunity to work the halls to move from three kids to seven kids. I don't think the IHSWCA is saying any particular school is not eligible, but to be eligible you have to have this many wrestlers. Kinda like saying you have to have this many points to eligible to be considered as an wild card to the team state event as all schools have the opportunity to score enough points, just has the have the opportunity to works the halls.

Moving the number to seven and even five is still an all in event, as all schools have the opportunity to work the halls to move from three kids to seven kids. I don't think the IHSWCA is saying any particular school is not eligible, but to be eligible you have to have this many wrestlers. Kinda like saying you have to have this many points to eligible to be considered as an wild card to the team state event as all schools have the opportunity to score enough points, just has the have the opportunity to works the halls.

Great point.  Good luck getting that across to the committee.

It is no coincidence that the Jay County regional 2nd placers match up with the Peru regional champions 6 times a year.

This year it happened at

106- 

120- JC Qualified- only draw that would have qualified him

160- JC Qualified- only draw that would have qualified him

170- JC Qualified- would have qualified with ANY draw

Add to that Jay County 3's see Peru champs another 4 times in the ticket round, that means Jay County's 2's and 3's get to see Peru's champs 10 times while Goshen and Carroll both see them only 8 times.

Wouldn't that explain 2 additional qualifiers instead of 8?

It explains why Jay County gets more qualifiers in general. Add to that JC had 5 4th place finishers which tells me draws made a HUGE impact on their qualifier numbers. The three other regionals only had 3, 4th place finishers.

This "formula" has been the same for the past 7 years. 

It explains why Jay County gets more qualifiers in general. Add to that JC had 5 4th place finishers which tells me draws made a HUGE impact on their qualifier numbers. The three other regionals only had 3, 4th place finishers.

This "formula" has been the same for the past 7 years. 

Fair enough, 8 is still a large margin to write off as having good draws, was my point.

Gunsett getting 4th was not by virtue of the draw. If there was ever an example of "getting caught" that one was it. He should have had 3rd. Yes, it was a 4th but it wasn't because of his great draw. One could argue with a different draw he could have placed 1st or 2nd.

JC Regional had 6 champs compared to Carroll's 3. I suppose that was due to the draw too?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.