Goldman: Day off

Weaver has a injury that may require surgery.

Simmons: If the Brands boys are going to talk mess to our coaches and wrestlers and think it's all good... It's awesome that we have a coach with some balls to give it right back. Simple change in culture and it's made us tougher certainly.

Why would he give the day off against Coon, you would think it would be a good gage to see where he falls in Big 10 rankings. 

When did weaver get hurt, will he be back this year?

Did not see anywhere where the Brands Brothers were talking mess to IU coaches and wrestlers, just seen the reference on Simmons.  you would think with his past issues IU would have him on a tight rope.  if Brands brothers were jawing to IU wrestlers then I guess Simmons can do the same.

Weaver will know this week if he needs surgery.  I'm not sure why Goldman got a day off, but I can tell you just about every one of the starters have had days off as well.  Probably keeping the kids fresh heading into the post season.  And Terry was being Terry and his kids were being his kids..  IU didn't back down, gotta appreciate that at least.

Needless to say but Iowa is a very hostile place to compete. Its all good though. that is the culture they have. their fans boo their own wrestlers. However there was a lot of smack talk by Iowa wrestlers and anyone who knows or knows of Nick ( The East Lansing Strangler ) knows he is no punk. More power to him . we need some of that fight to spark our wrestlers.

I'm not sure it matters Bronx. Iowa gets away with being "tuff" so I think any team that feels the need to either show that they are tuff or protect their own.. Is all good. The tougher IU gets in that department the better imho. Terry is a stud, but I wouldn't mind if Nick slapped him upside the head for any disrespect towards him or his wrestlers.. If your gonna dish it out, then be ready to accept repercussion.

Lmao! Only bright spots was the seniors ehh? Not the true 125 lb freshman who hit the blast double off the line with 5 seconds left in his match? Or the redshirt freshman 165 lber who avenges an early season drubbing and secures a late TD himself and rides the last 30 secds for the win either? The dual was exciting to the finish. We gave up a pin at 141 and even there we battled as it was 5-1 with four seconds left before the pin. We lost. But drubbing is not the case.

Mr. Lmao, Funny to the max. Did you tell anyone The 125# IU freshman, who was took to school for 99% of the match that the great blast double off the whistle, was successful because the opponent stood there and let him grab his legs. And this was a non ranked App. St. wrestler. Come on, even an ardent IU fan cant be happy with that pathetic performance yesterday. And if you are going to stand by your defense of this façade of a team, the you are part of the reason the program is not in different hands. Straw man.

Ok bud. I see you now. Your a hater. Since I am fairly new here I need to see true colors. Thanks for showing them. You keep hating and I will keep supporting. Purdue beat us, so you should go hang out with those guys... Peace

Straw man, the hater argument is pretty weak, and all over these discussion boards. Come to think of it, though, I do hate/ It that the Indiana program is still floundering around at the bottom of the conference every year. I also hate it that the coaches cannot land a few of our instate elite high school talent. And I hate it that the attendance at all of the home matches are like Jr. High crowds. Sorry you dislike me. Hate has a broad spectrum, but you seem to use in a condescending tone.

I dislike anyone who hides behind a screen name and talks mess about a program. Someone who has bled on the mat would never do that... Ever.

And what the hell do you mean elite? How many HS championships do you need to be elite? 4? Got a few of them last year. 3? Got that a few times too.

Disco I agree you are right on. Jeff I also agree that anyone who bleed on the mat has different standards. But it is those standards that lead to the questions about the staff. Wrestlers, parents and anyone who bled on the mat as you call it should hold the staff at any school to the highest standard and expectations.

IU is in dire need of changes from administration down to coaching staff.

An honest assessment of iu wrestling has to include the good and the bad. Beating minnesota, even in a down year by Gophers' standards, has to be acknowledged. Nate Jackson's huge win over Bo Nickal was outstanding. Blanton, Griffin, Oliver, Weaver, Martin, Cash and Statzka have all shown potential this year. Is iu where iu fans wish they were? No, but incremental progress is how things get better. With more success, more in-state elite talent will follow studs like Rypel down to Bloomington. Is Goldman the man to lead the Hoosiers to the promised land? I don't know, but I haven't heard any rumblings about him leaving, so it is what it is. As with many iu seasons under Goldman, there's been good and bad and a lot in between

Finish at Big 10s since 2000

2000 10/11
2001 8/11
2002 10/11
2003 10/11
2004 9/11
2005 5/11
2006 10/11
2007 5/11
2008 8/11
2009 9/11
2010 8/11
2011 10/11
2012 10/11
2013 11/12
2014 10/12
2015 12/14

So IU was about the 10th best team in the Big 10 before expansion. Now in the 11-12 range?  

Careful Smooth, don't let the facts get in the way, of how you feel about the direction of the Indiana program. And the direction it  has stayed for a decade or so.

And Dingo, I never dismiss the efforts of most of the kids involved with any program. But every year it is as you described, small victories. I wont get into the coaching aspect, Proof is in the pudding.

Obviously the goal for IU wrestling is not to be competitive or changes would have been made by now. That doesn't sit well with me and it stinks of cowardice. I'd settle for stagnation in the 6-9 range. If this is the best you could do as a coach, and you cared at all about the program, you'd step down. This crap wouldn't fly at a real program for over a decade. 

Man, the passion from some of you is awesome on getting IU to the next level. I get a little peeved when people cast stones and don't give solutions. Hence some of my other remarks on this topic. And since I am obviously behind on what you all have done to help the situation, could y'all bring me up to date on the below?

A) Have you talked to the administration about your displeasure on the success of the program? When and what was the outcome?

B..have you offered your guidance to the coaches themselves? Face to face, man to man? If so, when and what was the outcome?

C) Have you offered your services as a volunteer to the program? Event coordinator, recruiting assistant, speciality coach, fundraising lead? If so, how did that go?

I have several other ideas on how to help the program but they are all somehow attached to the above and will follow up once you supply what you have already exhausted on trying to help get the program to the next level.

The one thing that I have noticed about the elite programs is their core of volunteers and fan base. It is being utilized to its fullest. From the sounds of the comments on this thread, it is obvious you have attempted helping in the above ways and that is why you are so frustrated and choose to belittle the program from behind a screen name. Because you have been turned down by the coaches and administrators due to their lack of wanting to win. And since you have tried the above and been turned away, you have no other means of helping other than being incognito.

Again, let me know what has been accomplished so far and if possible, I would be more than happy to join you all in your efforts to bring this program to the Elite of the Elite.

Thanks, Jeff Martin

Edited by jeffm