Fort Wayne 170 finals

TheRightWay

After seeing the draws for 170 @ State... Bellmont fans would probably now say it was the greatest call ever... Gray really gets beat on a TERRIBLE call and is given the 2nd worst draw he could have gotten... Meanwhile the Bellmont kid gets the best draw he could get... Knew that was going to happen...

Edited by NavyGonzo

I hate to have to say this, but I have been to a number of Bellmont meets over the years and they have the worst officials (aka most biased) of any wrestling event I have ever been too. I have never witnessed so many angry fans and coaches because of refs questionable (and that is putting of kindly) decision making. If you are wrestling Bellmont, it is you against Bellmont/officials.

This is not meant to take away from Bellmonts wrestlers as they have many fantastic and it is not their fault the refs make the calls they do

I hate to have to say this, but I have been to a number of Bellmont meets over the years and they have the worst officials (aka most biased) of any wrestling event I have ever been too. I have never witnessed so many angry fans and coaches because of refs questionable (and that is putting of kindly) decision making. If you are wrestling Bellmont, it is you against Bellmont/officials.

This is not meant to take away from Bellmonts wrestlers as they have many fantastic and it is not their fault the refs make the calls they do

The referees were very solid all day, with a few exceptions. (didn't see any Bellmont bias) It's unfortunate that one of the most glaring and impactful mistakes occurred in the finals. It was a horrendous call which met by immediate crowd displeasure and wasn't limited to the Delta cheering section. Sadly it wasn't this refs only bad call, as he consistently asserted himself in the outcomes of matches. Again the other referees were excellent (hardly noticed them all day, which means they were awesome) this guy just wanted to be in the spotlight apparently.

I disagree I don't think It was favoritism but rather just a poor official... As far as I could tell he was the only bad official there Saturday making a lot of poor calls in various matches. Props to the rest of the officials on Saturday who did a quality job. Hate to see an official effect the outcome of a match.

I'm not sure if it was the same ref or not but on the Burns/ Ritchie (170) match the ref hit Burns with a stalling while he was in the center circle with about 30 sec left in the 3rd. Both wrestlers were hand fighting with no shots being taken by either but just circleing. Since Burns was hit earlier with a stall for not returning fast enough it cost him the match and a shot at going to state. just no consistency to the stall calls.

Does anyone know what the exact rule is on stalling? Is there any wording on a certain amount of time between calls or shot attempts before a stall is called? I was watching the match on Saturday and didn't feel as if either of the stalling calls were incorrect on their own. It seems like the problem that everyone has is with the amount of time that occurred between the calls, not the call itself.

I agree that the second call came really quickly after the first call, but I didn't think it was a bad call, if he hadn't been warned earlier I doubt anyone would have disagreed with the second call. If the second call hadn't been called, the first wouldn't have been a horrible call eithrr. It was close for sure, and that second one is tough, but I'm not sure if by the letter of the rule the right call wasn't made.

I don't have a dog in the fight, and respect the heck out of both teams and wrestlers, but does anyone think that either of the stalling calls was horribly wrong on their own?

perhaps it was the right call?   maybe it should be called more often?  I think stalling is the hardest call in the world....is it stalling when wrestler A is ahead and he is being defensive and not trying to score?   Should there be a set time between stalling calls?

we'll answer these questions...as the world turns.

watched the match.   I 100% agree Gray was stalling.   With that said, probably about a 15% chance baumgartner could have been hit for stalling in the first overtime and when he kept dropping down and grabbing the leg and not working up, isn't that stalling too?   If not, it should be.

Lets face it guys...83% of the time if someone has a lead late in a match they are going to stall somewhat.

watched the match. I 100% agree Gray was stalling. With that said, probably about a 15% chance baumgartner could have been hit for stalling in the first overtime and when he kept dropping down and grabbing the leg and not working up, isn't that stalling too? If not, it should be.

Lets face it guys...83% of the time if someone has a lead late in a match they are going to stall somewhat.

100% stalling!?!?! Twice in 8 seconds while staying in the center??? Nice try... It was a terrible call, plain and simple... There is simply no argument...

Edited by NavyGonzo

100% stalling!?!?! Twice in 8 seconds while staying in the center??? Nice try... It was a terrible call, plain and simple... There is simply argument...

absolutely...the first time he literally ran out of bounds.   The second time he was backing away and circling.   Just because its 8 seconds doesn't mean anything...you guys need to forget about that part.

absolutely...the first time he literally ran out of bounds.   The second time he was backing away and circling.   Just because its 8 seconds doesn't mean anything...you guys need to forget about that part.

Ran out???? Bellmont guy tied up with him and pushed him out of bounds right after being let up, which last I checked, is not running out of bounds... 2nd call came when Gray was staying in the middle blocking 2 shots... Watch the video, hard to argue with that... The link is on the first page... Even the announcers on the webcast talked about how much of a bad call it was...

If you think he ran out of bounds, there is one of two things going on:

1. You are legally insane

or

2. You must be a blood relative of the Bellmont kid

Edited by NavyGonzo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.