How much longer are we going to go on like this?

decbell1

The IHSAA allows for teams to go up in class if they choose to do so. It is rare, but does occur sometimes.

2-3 Classification by Enrollment; Different Classes Assignment; Change Class Assignment

School enrollment figures used for classifying Schools shall be the enrollment in grades 9-12 for all students, as certified in the annual report filed with the State Department of Education in a classification year.

a. Schools with single gender enrollment shall double the certified enrollment figures for classification purposes.

b. A School may be assigned to different Classes in different sports.

c. A School shall be assigned to a Class by the IHSAA and shall enter the IHSAA tournament in that assigned Class unless it notifies the Association, in writing, that it wishes to move up One (1) or more Classes. This notification shall (1) accompany the submission of the School’s enrollment figures and (2) be effective for the succeeding Two (2) years. A School may choose to move up in a specific sport/s.

Other than Mater Dei, any idea what other schools in other sports have voluntarily bumped up in class?

I don't know if Rudy is a good analogy....didn't he suck like bad and he got put in as like a pity play

Sort of like classing the individual tournament.  We know you aren't good enough, so let's find more ways to call you a "winner" so everyone can feel good about themselves.  

Sort of like classing the individual tournament.  We know you aren't good enough, so let's find more ways to call you a "winner" so everyone can feel good about themselves.  

Would that be your message to a lower division Michigan state champion?

I don't know if Rudy is a good analogy....didn't he suck like bad and he got put in as like a pity play

Ok I was reaching a little bit, but partially for comedic relief.   But it still falls under the whole Indiana underdog working class underdog mythos.   But he might of sucked, but for one play that he played, he was perfect.   He got the sack, so he's 100% in his football career and  well made a career out of the event (and a movie).   His 100% record was even better than Fabio's high school career record.

FYI-Evansville Mater Dei is not a 1A school. If they chose not to compete in 3A next year in the IHSWCA event, they would be in 2A.

This thread is just as much about the RETURN of the TEAM state dual tournament as it is about class. 

Does anyone want to defend the lack of a TEAM tournament in Indiana. Classed or unclassed, I don't care. 

WE NEED A TEAM EVENT.

Ok I was reaching a little bit, but partially for comedic relief. But it still falls under the whole Indiana underdog working class underdog mythos. But he might of sucked, but for one play that he played, he was perfect. He got the sack, so he's 100% in his football career and well made a career out of the event (and a movie). His 100% record was even better than Fabio's high school career record.

That's not saying much :P lol

And decbell I love hoping the perry kid can beat the warren kid to show that we are the best team in the state it makes perfect sense

FYI-Evansville Mater Dei is not a 1A school. If they chose not to compete in 3A next year in the IHSWCA event, they would be in 2A.

This thread is just as much about the RETURN of the TEAM state dual tournament as it is about class. 

Does anyone want to defend the lack of a TEAM tournament in Indiana. Classed or unclassed, I don't care. 

WE NEED A TEAM EVENT.

I'll bite:

1. Back when there was a dual tourney, teams sent JV wrestlers or forfeited weight classes when they knew they were going to get smoked or didn't want their wrestlers cutting weight mid-week. 

2. To some degree, I think the elimination of the team tournament has cut down on SOME of the rampant transfers going on creating HS teams that were essentially extensions of wrestling academies.  

3. I am sure many will disagree, but I think wrestling is mostly an individual sport. 

I think you guys miss the point the 3A state finals are already happening. Outside of 120 I'm pretty sure they were all bigger schools in the finals. Have it classed if wrestlers want to compete up send in a petition and wrestle up a class. I would bet most wrestlers wouldn't

To the original topic, yes we need the team tournament back. Greensburg won sectional a couple years ago. While it was a fantastic feeling of accomplishment for a team that hadn't had much team success since the 80s, it didn't get us much more than the year 2014 on our sectional banner. Team regional would have given everyone on our team another week on the mat, which is all we want for our inexperienced wrestlers.

As to the class v unclassed tournament argument, I think it comes down to what you see as the purpose of the state tournament series. If you believe it is meant to showcase the elite talent in the state of Indiana, keep it single class. If you think it is to increase exposure of all success across the state, you'll support class wrestling.

Along the same lines I was going to ask..

Are there any previous individual state champions here (or that anyone knows of) that are in favor of a classed individual tournament? I'd be interested in hearing their thoughts on it if so.

Along the same lines I was going to ask..

Are there any previous individual state champions here (or that anyone knows of) that are in favor of a classed individual tournament? I'd be interested in hearing their thoughts on it if so.

Why are their opinions better than years of data?

Why are their opinions better than people who have coached at small and big schools?

State champions make up about .3%(yes there is a decimal in front of the 3) of the athletes ever to grace the mat in the state. Not sure that kind of sample size is really worth much.

"3A schools have 47% of the wrestlers still in the state tournament and average 8.25 regional qualifiers per team

2A schools have 25% of the wrestlers still in the state tournament and average 5.64 regional qualifiers per team

1A schools have 13% of the wrestlers still in the state tournament and average 3.75 regional qualifiers per"

I am just asking but shouldn't this total up to 100%? Where does the other 15% go?

Edited by RASSLER4LIFE

Personally, I love the fact that Indiana wrestling is not classed. It makes us extremely unique and exciting. I've seen numerous State Championship tournaments from other states and none are as exciting as Indiana or California. The only classed state that is even close is Iowa (mainly because wrestling takes over Des Moines for the weekend). It's a special thing to have ONE State Champion for each weight and ONE State Championship Team. Please do not water it down! I also know it helps our student-athletes get recruited. College coaches from across the country scout our state tourny due to the fact that it is one class. Kids get serious D2, D3, NAIA looks for placing or qualify. 

In my opinion, wrestling is losing participation bc of generational obstacles and priorities that school, parents, and coaches need to address (I know it's a struggle). Indiana programs need to focus on building numbers, rivalries and Free/Greco. When Indiana starts bringing home 30+ All-Americans from Fargo, then it may be time to reevaluate. EVERY WRESTLER HAS ENOUGH RESOURCES IF THEY WANT IT ENOUGH...ONE CLASS ONE CHAMP!

Edited by Dan_Williams

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.