Castle Regional: Great Matches to Watch & 2016 All-Name Team

hook and half

First Round: 

106- Mark Hall, Reitz vs. Kameron Kendall, North Posey

126- Caleb Craig, Reitz vs. Harley Gorman, Mt. Vernon.  Gorman has wrestled a tough schedule and put together 32 wins.  Craig matches his 32 wins; most of his nine losses came at 132.  Whoever loses this one will have a year to think about it.

132- Joe Craig, Tell City vs. Josh Elpers, North.  Can the Marksman sophomore spoil the senior’s shot at a semistate bid?

132- Nolan Schaefer, Memorial vs. Michael Polen, Gibson Southern.  Both are juniors and have a ton of varsity experience.  Schaefer has just come off an injury hiatus and made a run at the sectional title, while Polen took Josh Elpers to the wall in the sectional semifinal.  This will be a battle.

138- Clay Singleton, Gibson Southern vs. Jacob Brockman, Memorial.  Singleton, a freshman, is fresh off his runner-up finish at sectional.  Brockman, a senior, was unseeded at the sectional, but beat three seeded wrestlers en route to a third place finish.

152- Micah Keller, Mt. Vernon vs. William Nunn, Castle.

160- Knowah Rodgers, Heritage Hills vs. Shawn Coane, North.

170- Kiave Guerrier, Central vs. Mitchell Brown, Memorial.  Brown’s toughest opponent this season has been injury.  If he is healthy, this will be a slobber knocker.

Semifinal: 

120- Neal Bealmer, Castle vs. Levi Miller North Posey.  Bealmer has put together an impressive freshman campaign, while Miller, a sophomore, hopes to repeat last year’s feat of a State appearance.

126- Joe Happe, Mater Dei vs. Craig/Gorman winner.

132- Josh Elpers, North vs. Braedon Clopton, Castle.  Two athletic seniors will duke it out for the right to face Nick Lee.

145- Nick Burke, North vs. Austin Bethel, Mt. Vernon.  Austin Bethel shocked the state last weekend with his sectional victory.  Do you think he is looking past his likely semifinal opponent?  Not likely.  Although Burke receives no love from the rankings people, southern Indiana wrestling fans know that he is very good. 

152- Hunter Baehl, Gibson Southern vs. Chance Williams, Memorial.  Two seniors, eight varsity wrestling letters, eight trips to the regional between them; they will compete for the remaining spot in the 152 final.

160- Jacob Farmer, Castle vs. Hunter Carr, Mater Dei.   

170- Jaylon Owens, Pike Central vs. Evan Dowell, Castle.  Owens lost his first match of the year in the sectional final.  Dowell is studied and smooth.  This one will be fun!

195- Kyle Lang, Mt. Vernon vs. Keith Barclay, South Spencer.

220- Blake Huggins, Reitz vs. Payton Halbig, Princeton.

Best matches of the Day

126 Semifinal- Logan Dilbeck, Gibson Southern vs. Carson Willis, Castle.  7th ranked Logan Dilbeck had his perfect season spoiled at Central.  In Paradise, the 13th-ranked Willis also has a single loss.  Both have State aspirations—Yahtzee!

170 Final - Raymond Garnett, Bosse vs. Evan Dowell, Castle.  Garnett is unorthodox and unpredictable.  0-2 against Dowell, can he continue to close the gap?  Can he turn the tables on Saturday?

285 Final- Wade Ripple, Mt. Vernon vs. Cory Klem, Gibson Southern.  With only three losses between them—two generated by their match-ups—look for them to hook up again for the last match of the day.  The sectional final was a snoozer until Ripple stepped on the gas in the third period, resulting in a bracket board.  I hope someone tells them that conservative wrestling does not win titles!  On Saturday, whoever turns the dogs loose will win.

Most Underrated Wrestler- 160-pound Colton O’Neal from Pike Central.  Most fans from the Central sectional saw the 38-3 O’Neal for the first time last week.  Castle sectional fans, you are in for a treat.

2016 Castle Regional All-Name Team:

Baxter “Luke, I’m Your Father” Annakin

Dylan “Aircraft” Carrier

“Arch” Bishop Coomer

Buddy “12 Ounce” Curl

Logan “Vlasic” Dilbeck

Clay “Hammond” Egli

Jarrett “Rebel Yell” Hawhee

Kyle "Clubber" Lang

“Orange” Julius Malone

Quentin “The Mighty Quinn” Might

Michael “North” Polen

“Idon’ta” Knowa Rodgers

Connor “Caviar” Sturgeon

David Teague “Of Their Own”

Edited by hook and half

Check your records. I don't think Baehl was at regional last year???

You're right. He got 5th at the Sectional. I want to say Elpers got upset early on and Elpers beat Baehl to get to the 3rd place match.

I would like to think one of the "best/most anticipated" matches of the day will be at 145 with Lee vs Bethel Round 2. I don't think it will be close this time around, but with Bethel shocking the Central Sectional last weekend, I know I am looking forward to seeing that rematch.

Don't count on the Lee vs. Bethel match taking place.

I think 81's spidey senses are right on. Bethel lost to Wilson at the big 8, then beat him at the sectional 13-10. Burke dominated Wilson 5-1. Bethel is a favorite to beat burke, but not a huge one. Should be a heckuva match.

Yeah you never know with this weight I guess, I mean Wilson beat Bethel, Bethel beats Lee, so that means Wilson beats Lee in the Semis this weekend??? Heck we may see a Bethel vs Lee match for 3rd and 4th.

not so fast!  it looks like you are counting out ninke, durcholz, mcnutt and hawhee.  that's why matches are wrestled on the mat, not on paper!

as major ursula might say:  "This ain't no coronation, bub"

You're right. He got 5th at the Sectional. I want to say Elpers got upset early on and Elpers beat Baehl to get to the 3rd place match.

I would like to think one of the "best/most anticipated" matches of the day will be at 145 with Lee vs Bethel Round 2. I don't think it will be close this time around, but with Bethel shocking the Central Sectional last weekend, I know I am looking forward to seeing that rematch.

You are correct on Baehl last year.  He was a SS qualifier in 2014, however, losing to Elliott Molloy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.