Castle Regional: Central vs. Castle Sectional Realignment

hook and half

In yet another tweaking of the sectionals, two teams swapped positions, with Tecumseh going to Castle and Mt. Vernon shifted to Central.  While saved Mt. Vernon 6.6 miles, it cost Tecumseh 2.1 miles.  I'm not sure exactly what the significant gain was, other than making the Central sectional much tougher. 

At any rate, this is a long-contested topic among southern Indiana wrestling cognoscenti; which is the best sectional?

It looks like the Castle sectional has three strong favorites for a regional title and two favorites.  At maximum, I do not see more than five champions from this sectional.

To semi state:  33 from Central; 23 from Castle.

In yet another tweaking of the sectionals, two teams swapped positions, with Tecumseh going to Castle and Mt. Vernon shifted to Central.  While saved Mt. Vernon 6.6 miles, it cost Tecumseh 2.1 miles.  I'm not sure exactly what the significant gain was, other than making the Central sectional much tougher. 

At any rate, this is a long-contested topic among southern Indiana wrestling cognoscenti; which is the best sectional?

It looks like the Castle sectional has three strong favorites for a regional title and two favorites.  At maximum, I do not see more than five champions from this sectional.

I think 23 represents best case from Castle sectional.

The total number of forfeits yesterday is the tell tale sign:

Evv Central Sectonal: 19

Caste Sectional: 33

Definitely stronger, deeper teams at Central yesterday. 

Castle MAYBE gets 8 finalists and 5 champs if they were the 11th team at Central yesterday.  They had 13 and 9 at Castle.

Looking at the brackets, I have Central with a decisive 34-22 count. I can see Central sectional sweeping 3 weight classes. Here's my take with Centrals #,s being first

106-1,3

113-2,2

120-2,2

126-2,2

132-3,1

138-2,2

145-4,0

152-2,2

160-3,1

170-1,3

182-2,2

195-2,2

Sweep the 220 and big fellas for Central

I think 23 represents best case from Castle sectional.

The total number of forfeits yesterday is the tell tale sign:

Evv Central Sectonal: 19

Caste Sectional: 33

Definitely stronger, deeper teams at Central yesterday. 

Castle MAYBE gets 8 finalists and 5 champs if they were the 11th team at Central yesterday.  They had 13 and 9 at Castle.

i think castle gets nine to the finals; five head-to-head match-ups with md.  team score will be close.

How do you balance the two with Mater Dei?  Seems like there will be an imbalance either way.    Memorial being down a bit this year didn't help the Castle Sectional either.

Swapping Tecumseh and Mt vernon is a headscratcher. Last year, Tecumseh had a historically tough team that finished a strong third. Four crucial seniors graduated from that squad. Mt. Vernon has three high state-medal prospects on this years team.

Mt vernon has a young team that should be extremely good in 2017.

It looks like there is effort to make central more difficult.

Come on Man... Reitz has injuries, Memorial has injuries .Heritage Hills is Down. That doesn't help the Castle sectional.

Just a few years back when the first realignment occurred , everyone was talking about how much tougher it made Castles Sectional.

What do we do... Seed all 20 teams and seperate the Sectionals that way?

It will be Ok Hook if MD finishes 2nd every once in a while . The Reitz team was down a little and Memorial but they will grow and balance out the sectionals in the next 2 yrs.

Come on Man... Reitz has injuries, Memorial has injuries .Heritage Hills is Down. That doesn't help the Castle sectional.

Just a few years back when the first realignment occurred , everyone was talking about how much tougher it made Castles Sectional.

What do we do... Seed all 20 teams and seperate the Sectionals that way?

Everyone has injuries every year. That still does not explain why a move was made to intentionally make the central sectional that much tougher. I understand the big move a few years: it made sense and got about as close to equity as you could get.

So this year, why the tweak?

How lopsided had that sectional been in the past several years. EMD fills all 14 weight classes with all 14 advancing on top of multiple champs year in and year out, going against possibly one of the weakest sectionals in the state prior to the realignment this year.

The distance from Tecumseh is shorter to Castle than it is to Evansville Central on every online map I have looked at. In a bus we take 45 minutes to get to Central. In a bus it takes us 35 minutes to get to Castle.

How lopsided had that sectional been in the past several years. EMD fills all 14 weight classes with all 14 advancing on top of multiple champs year in and year out, going against possibly one of the weakest sectionals in the state prior to the realignment this year.

i'm not sure where you got that data.  when the ihswca initiated the team state duals, they assigned a difficulty factor to each sectional.  the central sectional was near the top of the list.

How about a Conspiracy Theory?

Word on the street has it this way...

1. Neither Mt. Vernon or Tecumseh were consulted prior to the change being made

2. In an meeting of the IHSAA Board of Directors, Mike Whitten (Boonville Principal) made a motion to change the sectional alignment

3. Recommendation was seconded by Richard Lance (Asst Principal at Castle, former Principal of Tecumseh)

4. The vote was 16-0, no questions asked.

All three Warrick County schools benefit from the change which was origniated by two Warrick County adminstrators.  The reasoning was that Mt. Vernon "drove by" Central to get to the Castle sectional.  Why wasn't that statement made when the sectionals were realigned years ago?  Check the basketball sectionals, teams "drive by" other sectionals all the time.  Why wasn't the change put into effect next year to give the teams involved a chance to change their schedules?

I'm just saying...

How about a Conspiracy Theory?

Word on the street has it this way...

1. Neither Mt. Vernon or Tecumseh were consulted prior to the change being made

2. In an meeting of the IHSAA Board of Directors, Mike Whitten (Boonville Principal) made a motion to change the sectional alignment

3. Recommendation was seconded by Richard Lance (Asst Principal at Castle, former Principal of Tecumseh)

4. The vote was 16-0, no questions asked.

All three Warrick County schools benefit from the change which was origniated by two Warrick County adminstrators.  The reasoning was that Mt. Vernon "drove by" Central to get to the Castle sectional.  Why wasn't that statement made when the sectionals were realigned years ago?  Check the basketball sectionals, teams "drive by" other sectionals all the time.  Why wasn't the change put into effect next year to give the teams involved a chance to change their schedules?

I'm just saying...

Not only was Tecumseh not consulted prior to the change being made nobody from the IHSAA bothered to tell us about it. I am the head wrestling coach at Tecumseh. I knew nothing about it until two weeks after the change was made and I found out from Centrals coach when I called to ask him about their tournament we were going to at the start of the season. I asked our AD and he had not been told of the change. 

Edited by chambers

Not only was Tecumseh not consulted prior to the change being made nobody from the IHSAA bothered to tell us about it. I am the head wrestling coach at Tecumseh. I knew nothing about it until two weeks after the change was made and I found out from Centrals coach when I called to ask him about their tournament we were going to at the start of the season. I asked our AD and he had not been told of the change.

That is ridiculous!

Final Results, Central vs. Castle Sectionals:

Semi State Qualifers- Castle- 19, Central- 37

Champs- Castle- 4, Central- 10

Tournament Points Scored- Castle- 272, Central- 510

Semi State Qualifers- Castle- 19, Central- 37

The Central sectional produced 7 of the top 9 times in scoring.

9 of 10 teams from the Central sectional scored team points; 5 of 10 from Castle scored.

Edited by hook and half

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.