Indiana Forfeit Data 2016

Y2CJ41

This is usually pretty telling of the "state of wrestling" here in Indiana. So here it is!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bt2uxpHPNLmdWOknWd_9So1K68Z6yYRbYCz69CcjhiU/edit?usp=sharing

Couple interesting stats

Only 10 1A teams have a full roster at sectional

Out of the 102 3A teams, there are only 90 forfeits with 62 teams having a full team

Pretty proud of my Triton team! The smallest school in the state to take a full team into the sectional! On top of that we also have a ranked 1A boys basketball team! I figure we have close to 35% of the boys in our high school participating in a winter sport. Pretty dang good!

Pretty proud of my Triton team! The smallest school in the state to take a full team into the sectional! On top of that we also have a ranked 1A boys basketball team! I figure we have close to 35% of the boys in our high school participating in a winter sport. Pretty dang good!

If Carroll had 35% of the boys in a winter sport we would have 350 in basketball, wrestling, and swimming.

When are these foreign exchange students (i.e. Pierre Forfeit) going to learn they just need to work harder. And why are so many small schools recruiting them?!

I'm not going to be surprised if we see Pierre high tail it back home before things get started.

Here are a few other years' data, not sure why I don't have 2014

Year FF's Tms Per Team
2011 617 312 1.98
2012 681 312 2.18
2013 649 312 2.08
2015 740 308 2.40
2016 860 308 2.79

I find is scary that we have 200 more forfeits since 2013

Here are the 2015 forfeits

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nxe-jTfTxHGlr4Btu8kERBYGZ9FgoDThy-E0n9WClx8/edit?usp=sharing

And 2011-2013(note no breakdown by team)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KHUzgGySX9EmiciERCT5LCqaJ5pZ1jMw10BuIJQ5aQs/edit?usp=sharing

So the presumed more "populous" SS regions ie EC (region) and NC (part of Indy/And/Mun)  have more total FF than the less populous. I would have thought exactly the opposite with more kids to pull from. Thanks, a lot to be gleaned off the spreadsheet.

106 @ avon and tri sectional are already regional qualifiers

Mishawaka as well...just get little Johnny out of bed on Sat and congrats! Strange take on the concept of "survive and advance"!

Edited by UncleJimmy

Interesting and seems to indicate lower participation. Always wonder why most don't mention the upper weight forfeits as much. I mean you can't bump up to 106. Many of the upper weights are filled by moving up and I am all for more opportunities to wrestle. I just think it's a factor to take into consideration.

Wrestling is tough to get going in the Indianapolis inner city schools.    Kids are missing out on opportunities.   Not sure what the answer is? 

I would wager you are running into many of the same problems the second biggest school system has in Indiana. 

Indianapolis Public School have 30,813 students and Fort Wayne Community Schools have 30,783.  When you read any topic about the SAC this would be the school district they are talking about.

Interesting and seems to indicate lower participation. Always wonder why most don't mention the upper weight forfeits as much. I mean you can't bump up to 106. Many of the upper weights are filled by moving up and I am all for more opportunities to wrestle. I just think it's a factor to take into consideration.

You can bump up to 113, 120, 126, and 132 all of which have more forfeits than 195.

You can bump up to 113, 120, 126, and 132 all of which have more forfeits than 195.

True. But if the 106 numbers are low, they aren't going to be many to bump to 113. Same for 113 to 120. 126 up have fewer fft's then 182-285 for 2015 unless I am reading it wrong.

Edited by RAJR

What are some possible solutions that could help us to have less forfeits?  We seem to do a real nice job pointing out problems, but don’t do as well with finding solutions. Here are a few possible ways that I see that could help with forfeits.

1.       Combine 106/ 113 into something like 110.  Then add in another middle weight.  That alone would solve some of the forfeit problems.

2.       Create/ push more groups like Beat the Streets.  By the looks of the forfeits there seems to be a problem getting wrestlers out in inner city schools, these programs seem like a great way to introduce wrestling into these communities.  I have a friend that coach’s baseball, and works with R.B.I and that program seems to be doing some good.

3.       Change the attitude about wrestling being an “individual sport”.  If the importance of the team is pushed more, then kids will work to get other kids out to help the team get better.

4.       Work the hallways.  There are very few kids at Churubusco Jr. Sr. High School that haven’t been told why they need to wrestle.  We go after them all.  We refuse to have forfeits too.  Our 106, 113, and 120 had never wrestled at all before this year.  They struggled a lot, but I am pretty sure all will come out again next year, and by the time they are seniors hopefully they improve to the point where they are pretty competitive.

5.       Change the culture with wrestling around your school.  This is difficult but can be done.  I was lucky enough to walk into a situation where we had a lot of talent, but not a ton of numbers, we had a pretty good wrestling culture to begin with though, and just tried to grow the team around that.  At team state I had a coach from Hagerstown comment about how Knightstown used to have like 6 kids, now they are at team state.  I remember when Central Noble had 3 kids in a dual against us, now they are a really solid 1A team.  Brownsburg has totally changed the culture there as well, again this is a really hard thing to do, but can be done.

6.       Have more “friendship duals” like the Adams, Wells county teams have.  I am sure there are similar events all over the state, but these seem like a good way to get more kids involved.  I have a lot of trouble getting the youth parents to spend the $15 for a weekend event, which they may get 2 matches at.  The friendship duals seem like a good way to get more kids involved at the youth level.

7.       Change the Uniform- I have a ton of kids that say they would wrestle if it wasn’t for the uniform. I think that singlet are cool, but it may be time to modernize the uniform, that may add a few kids.

8.       Provide more opportunity for JV tourneys- more matches, more importance, the more kids will wrestle.  There are a lot of ways to do this, I think some a lot of the changes that would help would come from changing our weigh-in points system.  That would have to come from the state.

Now a few things that I think hurt wrestling that I don’t know how to address.

1.       Sport Specialization- This is fascinating to me, because at small schools our kids are generally 2-3 sport athletes.  Wrestling is the 2nd or even 3rd most important sport for a lot of our kids.  There are still a number of athletes who just focus on one sport.  This annoys me to no end.  I think that would actually be a bigger problem/ annoyance at small schools. 

2.       It’s hard/ weight cutting- I’m not sure there is much you can do with these too.  As an athlete I always loved wrestling, but disliked what I felt was the monotony of practice.  As a coach I try to mix it up as much as I can to avoid some of these difficulties.

3.       Wrestling all day on Saturdays- this is a complaint I get a lot.  Not sure how to address it beyond changing out points system.  I also think that less 6 ways more quads would be something that could help this situation.  My kids for the most part enjoy rounds 1-3 on Saturday, tolerate round 4, and can stand round 5.  So if anyone is planning a quad next year let us know.

What are some possible solutions that could help us to have less forfeits?  We seem to do a real nice job pointing out problems, but don’t do as well with finding solutions. Here are a few possible ways that I see that could help with forfeits.

1.       Combine 106/ 113 into something like 110.  Then add in another middle weight.  That alone would solve some of the forfeit problems.

Make another comment like this Sam and I will drive over in middle of the day and drag you out of your class room in front of your kids and DDT you.

Make another comment like this Sam and I will drive over in middle of the day and drag you out of your class room in front of your kids and DDT you.

They grow 'em big here in 'Busco, We can never find more than 1 or 2 of those little guys.  Coach Dock's weight program is too good to, all of our 106/113 lbs kids are about 160 by the time they graduate haha.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.