Who is being inducted into the 2016 IHSWCA HOF?

wrestlinggods

Wrestlers - Josh Hardy/Princeton  Adam Doherty/Jeffersonville  Robert Rosbottom/Jeffersonville  Marcus Shontube/Lowell & David Maldonado/EC Central

Coaches - Trent McCormick/Yorktown  Ed Hamant/Greenfield Cen  Jim Binkley/New Albany

Contributors - Bob Morris/Beech Grove  Chuck Barnett/Valparaiso  John Weaver/Elkhart-Hammond-Fairfield-Northridge

Family - Deters Family/Castle

Billy Thom Award - JD Minch/North Montgomery-IHSAA & USAW Official-ISWA Officer-IHSWCA Officer

Dr Shelbourne Honorary Member - Jon Fitch/FW Carroll

Mumby OW Award - Tommy Cash/Lawrence North

Coach of Year - Not selected yet

Asst Coach of Year - Not selected yet

ISWA John Hurrle Award - Dave Errett/Martinsville

IHSWCA Hall of Fame Banquet - Sunday, February 21, 2016 @ Jonathan Byrd's Cafeteria - Greenwood, IN.  just off I 65 south exit99 - 1:00 pm

ELKHART — A half century of coaching in the books and countless hours spent on or around the mat, John Weaver is going into the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

RELATED: Weaver puts family, American history between cover of self-published books, Jan. 21, 2013

Weaver, a 1960 Elkhart High School graduate, competed in the first match when EHS brought back the sport in 1957-58 and wrestled and coached for Hall of Famer Rollie Hoover at EHS.

The Elkhart County Sports Hall of Fame inductee wrestled and played football at Ball State University. He went on to be head wrestling coach at Hammond Clark and Fairfield and assistant coach at Northridge and Elkhart Central.

He was a head football coach at Fairfield and Northridge and an assistant at Elkhart and Clark.

The 2014-15 school year was his 50th year in coaching. He has been an assistant for the Blue Blazers for three seasons.

“I am overwhelmed,” Weaver said. “I am really honored. I appreciate everybody’s help.”

Weaver retired as a teacher after 38 years and has worked as an author.

John and wife Sherry (Papa) Weaver will celebrate their 51st anniversary June 9. They have three daughters and six grandchildren.

ELKHART — A half century of coaching in the books and countless hours spent on or around the mat, John Weaver is going into the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

RELATED: Weaver puts family, American history between cover of self-published books, Jan. 21, 2013

Weaver, a 1960 Elkhart High School graduate, competed in the first match when EHS brought back the sport in 1957-58 and wrestled and coached for Hall of Famer Rollie Hoover at EHS.

The Elkhart County Sports Hall of Fame inductee wrestled and played football at Ball State University. He went on to be head wrestling coach at Hammond Clark and Fairfield and assistant coach at Northridge and Elkhart Central.

He was a head football coach at Fairfield and Northridge and an assistant at Elkhart and Clark.

The 2014-15 school year was his 50th year in coaching. He has been an assistant for the Blue Blazers for three seasons.

“I am overwhelmed,” Weaver said. “I am really honored. I appreciate everybody’s help.”

Weaver retired as a teacher after 38 years and has worked as an author.

John and wife Sherry (Papa) Weaver will celebrate their 51st anniversary June 9. They have three daughters and six grandchildren.

Thanks for the scoop!

Jim Binkley or "Bink" has been a constant with New Albany wrestling since the early 1960's.   He placed 2nd in the state tournament in 1963 and wrestled at IU.  If you have ever seen a New Albany wrestler since the 1970's Bink was most likely in their corner starting as an assistant coach with Phil Thrasher, then head coach in 1995, and after retiring he came back as an assistant coach again with Eric Burres in 2005.   

He is in his 70's now, loves the sport, and still looks like he could walk out on the mat for a match.

Edited by randalllynch

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.