Club Wrestling

MatHoundzz

Well if you are in the Carmel school district, look no further, those guys up there have been putting together a pretty solid program over the past couple of years. I would check them out. I'm sure you can find their club page, or twitter account pretty easy by searching Carmel USA wrestling club.

At 6, any club will be sufficient in getting them introduced. I think the first year or two should be able letting the kid have fun. If they take a great interest to it, the following year you can really start stepping up a more solid workout routine, more intense practices and training. Just my 2 cents though.

Thank you for the advice. My wife and I were debating on putting him in club or going with one of the academies. Probably don't want to put him against the caliber of academy kids from the start.

My suggestion is you "feed them to the wolves" early, eventually they start fighting back. Best thing I've ever did is put my kids in Academy Wrestling to train 24/7/365. Proud to say my boys are #parrishtrained at Contenders Wrestling Academy and recommend any academy in your area . Gotta face the best to be the best .

I have to agree. The academies are the way to go. There are lots of little guys just learning the sport. Don't get me wrong, the stallions are there just don't think everyone is a 8 time triple crown winner. In Indianapolis you have the aforementioned Contenders, CIA (Eppert), Pride/Sparta? (Hull), Red Cobra (Red), Outlaws (Bailey). I haven't had my son at Contenders, but I don't think anyone questions their results. As far as the others, they all teach a little differently, but each one is very, very good...you can't really go wrong. Check them all out...you get a free day, so why not ;)

Academies are great, trust me I know. You get fantastic partners out of them I wrestled for CIA and me and all my drill partners won IHSAA state, but the only reason I wrestled in it is because my local club was non existent.... if you have a good or decent club, wrestle for them while they are holding practices you can always go to the Academies as well. I coach my high school and club now and the wrestlers who go else where don't even associate with our other kids, it harms them both in my opinion. If your club isn't at the level you want it to be, ask how you can help, parents are a huge part and influence to any good club... your son or daughter can still be a great wrestler by wrestling with thier respective club, as well as Academies.

Great point and I completely agree. Let me clarify. We do both during the season and we wouldn't give up the local club for anything, but if you want your son or daughter to compete with the best it's absolutely necessary to get them into an academy (at some point). FWIW we like to associate with our club ;) 

if you have a good or decent club, wrestle for them....and the wrestlers who go else where don't even associate with our other kids, it harms them both in my opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice. My wife and I were debating on putting him in club or going with one of the academies. Probably don't want to put him against the caliber of academy kids from the start.

I would choose the best club/academy you can find.  Have him take his lumps early.  If he keeps coming back, he's a wrestler.

Clubs and Academies are very focused on improving the wrestlers.  The beatings are not nearly as severe as they are in competition, and he will grow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.