Da Region

backtothemat

regionrat what's your favorite cosgrove memory?

I saw him at his first Al Smith as a freshman.   I am pretty sure it was the last match of day one.    He was wrestling a really tough state-ranked senior from a Michiana team (I know the team and the senior's name, but will withhold that.)   Cosgrove really whipped him and at the end of the match, the senior tried to start a fight.

Edited by busstogate

Calumet Region: Geographic area encompassed by the ancient shorelines of lake Michigan stretching from Blue Island on the west as far south as Sauk trail and route 30 and as far east as Chesterton.

The Region: referral to the heavy industry area of northern lake county and south east Chicago(eastside) . Heavily populated areas of steel and refinery workers and all the subsidiaries. Hegwisch, Roxanna, Robertsdale,Marktown, East Side, Whiting, East Chicago, The Harbor, Hammond,Gary, Calumet City and a few more neighborhoods. If you were from anywhere South of 80/94 , the mentioned areas were often referred to as "up in the region" by our grandparents. Whom were all mostly from there inthe first place.

Da Region: since the communities to the south and further east have grown and developed together, the term has taken a broader area to include the immediate areas to the south as the Heights, Dyer, Schererville, St John. Along Ridge Road(ancient calumet shoreline 10,000 years ago) Thornton, Lansing, Munster, Highland, Griffith, Calumet, and another 10-15 miles east in Glen Park, Hobart, Lake Station, River Forest, Portage.

DaRegion Athletically: Primarily was the reference to the ihsaa schools included in Region 1.

Da Region Wrestling: any team included in the Duneland, Northwest Crossroads, Great Lakes, Greater South Shore, and Northwestern Conferences. (Greater south shore has a few teams from outside the area in n.Newton,wheeler, south central)

Porter county conference teams are often included but are mostly south of calumet region by several miles or more.

Edited by bonehead63

As a former coach I used to try and schedule most of our out of conference tournaments in "da Region" so that we could get used to that hard nosed type of wrestling before we wrestled there at semi-state. Definitely a completely different style of wrestling in the Region. I used to have kids physically beat on each other all week to get ready for the Region. You better respect the Region or get your butt kicked.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.