Team State Debacle

hook and half

I just finished watching the Clash XIV at Rochester, Minnesota on Trackcast last night.  There were 32 teams and they had 4 8 team brackets.  That is not what I want to bring up.  There format had 8 mats down and started with two brackets of 8 starting at 9, 11, 1 and the other 2 brackets at 4, 6, 8.  Then the next day, they had the championship brackets scheduled for the afternoon and consolations in the morning.  One post earlier said two day event.  Why not have the two day event.  I know that some teams already have two day events earlier in the week but if it might fix the problem then I think it should be a viable option.  There was not that much seating at the event either as it was held in a convention center on a university campus. 

Pepsi Coliseum had some cost issue, so if cost was a factor in not sure the money would be there for a two day event. Plus you would also have to work around other event (hockey and such) that could already have the arena booked at least one of the two available days.

Edited by MattM

I have been to 35 state finals.  Most of the IHSAA team states. Spent at least $7000 doing it.  I hope to see more.  I've been to Pro Football games.  With seats, food and hotel it costs $1000 per game.  I also had to sit   in the nose bleed seats to get that price.  They would not let me move seats to follow the ball.  Seems like wrestling is the better deal.  The restrooms smell like a zoo, because my poop smells,  unlike the first poster's.  Congrats to all coaches and wrestlers.  Wrestling is the reason I go to meets, and I don't mind not being pampered

Some people on here are complaining that they couldn't see all the mats from their seat, then continues by suggesting going back to a two arena set up. That will fix not being able to see all the mats from your seat. Another person complained about the lack of communication (cost of entry, etc...) Y2 has had that posted for sometime, again I didn't receive a call from anyone giving me the details either. Was yesterday perfect? No but I for one thought this year was a HUGE step in the right direction. Having all the mats in ONE area is a HUGE plus. The seating, although lacking was by far better than the previous venues. There was no way to predict the attendance to almost double from previous years. I'm not saying there isn't a better facility to host this event but I think with another year of planning a lot of the legitimate issues could be addressed. I'm not convinced there is an ideal location that can support this events requirements to hold 12 mats, 36 full teams and great seating for 3,000 people (and affordable). Bottom line, KUDOS to the event organizers... GREAT JOB!

Edited by beachbum21

I have been to every IHSWCA Team State, and this was the best I have attended and here is why:

I could sit in the top row and watch all the 3A powerhouses battle, then I could look to my left and watch Bellmont dominate the 2A competition. I could look to my right and watch PH and Southmont's teams and fans go crazy over every take down, decision or fall. I could find a ranked kid wrestle almost all the time, with my biggest problem being deciding which match to watch. I could watch Sage Coy kick flip out of a single leg. I could watch the Levitz brothers pin their opponents and turn the championship match around. I could see Jimtown scrap and stay ahead of Yorktown, and end their run of 2A titles. I also could see Yorktown's 106# give up an escape at the end of the third, so the match could go to overtime because his team was down by 4 and he needed a pin instead of a decision.

In previous years at Westfield and Ball State, I had to traverse from gym to gym to try to catch the best matches, and honestly the views were not much better. Having everything under one roof is the way to go. If there is a better facility great. But I hope future events are not in a split venue.

It might be better to have blocks of 4 mats with teams sitting in the middle so the fans have an unobstructed view. However it would seem that they would need to open another expo center for that to happen. By no means is this something that CANNOT be done, with 2,300 fans at $15 a pop, it's only about an extra $1k for another expo.

There aren't many facilities in the state that can handle an event like this. There were well over 3000 people there(2300 fans and 700 wrestlers and coaches), which makes it very difficult to secure the right type of venue. There will be speed bumps along the way, but this year was finally a step in the right direction. I certainly hope they aren't thinking of expanding the number of teams quite yet until they get other things figured out.

This was the first time I have attended so I have nothing to compare it to, but having all the teams together in this format was great! I think the above is spot on about the venue. If some changes could be made and the venue expanded with more seating  and space it would be fine. Restrooms, I went 3-4 times during and never waiting more than  like 2 minutes so I think that is a bit much to complain  about.  It is hard for fans who are used to bringing in food to feed themselves and wrestlers to have that restriction placed on them when that is not the norm. Concessions are not that big of an issue in my opinion. If you can increase the space, seats,  and improve the site lines so  everyone can see it should work just fine. This is a huge undertaking and as a fan  from Knightstown I appreciated being  a part of it. Thanks to all who put it together!!

Any other teams have parents yelling at there kids who were warming up to sit down? I had some guy actually yell at me during the meet to make my kids, who were warming up, sit down. The best was after one of our duals finished I called our guys over to the middle of the mat to talk to our team and a lady came on the mat and yelled at us to move as she was trying to watch the mat across the arena I guess. I understand it was packed and it can stink to not see everything, but some of the fans seemed to put their experience above that of the wrestlers.

I was in "wrestling heaven"!!!!!!! I am a mom who has become a big big fan of wrestling. Watching my older boy wrestle was just the beginning and now I am watching my freshman. He has wrestled since kindergarten and now I am enjoying not only watching him, but all the other boys he has wrestled in the past. I thought the venue in Ft Wayne was awesome. It was filled with non-stop action all day!!!! For the first time, I saw teams like Bellmont, Prairie Heights and a few others from the north all under one roof and wrestling at the same place. I just went with the flow. If my sons team moved, I moved right with them and when it was his turn to wrestle, I found a place to watch him. There was so much energy in the room how could you not be excited!!!!!! It was an unbelievable day of wrestling with some of the BEST WRESTLERS in the state. I can't wait till next year!!!!!!!

I was in the top row with mat 5 in front of me (Brownsburg, Carrol, and Lawrence North pool play mat). I could see any of the 3A matches easily, could look left and see pretty much all of 2A and could look right and even catch some of AC wrestle on mat 11. This venue is not perfect but there were good seats available and it allowed us to have 12 matches of great wrestling at a time. Some people I heard complaining were the ones that got there around 10 am and were upset about not getting a good seat. Most if not all of the 3A schools have a very large fan base so it was no surprise the attendance was large from the moment they let the public in. This was a great event and thanks to everyone involved.

It is never a good idea to tell people that have criticisms the "Sounds like you should run it then" response.  I also don't think it is helpful to reply to every suggestion with a reason why that suggestion "won't work".  It comes off as very defensive and will create one of two reactions.  Some people will stop giving feedback, and others will get mad and escalate.  The best response is:  "Thank you for your feedback.  We are commited to making this event better and we promise to weigh all the feedback carefully as we prepare for next year's event."

The fact is, MANY spectators were frustrated by a lot of different issues yesterday.  I'll list a few, and no, I don;t want to run the event.  I simply hope that I can add some other perspectives so that the current organizers can have feedback from people that were there in order to make imporvements going forward.

1. Needed more communication in advance
    1. We were forwarded the information that our coach received, and a lot of detail was lacking:
    2. The inability to bring in outside food was never communicated
    3. $15 a ticket was never communicated
    4. $5 for parking was never communicated
    5. The schedule we had, was not the schedule that took place.  Our bye was wrong, and while I am GLAD that ths consi round was at 3 and not 5, the schedule said 5 and some parents left to kill the time and either had to rush back or missed their child all together.
  2. Not enough concession stands
  3. Not enough bathroom space, and sharing with the wrestlers is never a pleasant experience.  If I pay Bankers Life prices for my ticket, I exect a better experience once inside.
  4. I do not think having 12 mats in one space is important.  I was there to watch my son and his team.  I would rather have been in a different space with a better view.
    1. You should cater to the fans of the specific teams first, people who just want to see wrestilng without a specific affilitation can make a choice on which area/class to watch
  5. Need more guranteed matches for the 2 points spent
    1. Why did we stop at ties for 9th and 11th?  There were four teams per class in the Consilation, have the winners wrestle the winners and the losers wrestle the losers.  At least that way all the wrestlers get at least 4 matches out of the deal.
    2. I know, I know, if you want more matches, WIN!  That is a great way to get teams to stop coming.  Some programs are buidling and really want to experience the higher caliber of competition that an event like this can offer.  They can learn a lot in these defeats and build from it.  More matches is always a good thing.
  6. You need more volunteers.
    1. After paying my $15 to get in and having to take my food back to the car, I was asked to work a table for the day.  I didn't get so much as a bottle of water for my time.  I had good seats for two matches, that were other teams.

TL;DR version:  Too much focus on having all the mats in one space, not enough focus on Spectator experience and number of matches for the wrestlers.

Points well taken, on this board it seems to be divide and conquer, when someone makes a constructive criticism. The best defense is a good offense. Some times I think its why we don't get any where with the IHSAA.

Edited by Disco

Just some thoughts after reading all of the above:

1.  Don't keep increasing the number of teams......how many teams do we need there to really determine the State Champion in each class?

2.  Maybe do not fixate on having it all in one spot all day long.  How about starting the competition in each class at separate High Schools with good sized gyms with decent views and then bringing the Final two or four teams to one central High School for the Finals.  That way the fans from specific teams can follow their team while the "wrestling fan" can see all o fthe best teams in action when they move to the Finals location.  In the metro Indy area there has to be the potential for this, and I am sure this would be possible at other places as well.

Just some thoughts after reading all of the above:

1.  Don't keep increasing the number of teams......how many teams do we need there to really determine the State Champion in each class?

2.  Maybe do not fixate on having it all in one spot all day long.  How about starting the competition in each class at separate High Schools with good sized gyms with decent views and then bringing the Final two or four teams to one central High School for the Finals.  That way the fans from specific teams can follow their team while the "wrestling fan" can see all o fthe best teams in action when they move to the Finals location.  In the metro Indy area there has to be the potential for this, and I am sure this would be possible at other places as well.

I'm kind of torn on this. I do like seeing all 3 classes, but not as much as following my team and any of the immediately surrounding schools. With that said, I'd be for an atmosphere where the gym is packed for a dual just for a couple teams. I remember when we hosted at AC for the old team state regional. I know Bellmont, Yorktown, and New Haven were there and I think Whitko. Everyone was there for Bellmont and Yorktown to meet in the finals which occurred. At the time Yorktown was knocking on the door to overtake Bellmont. Atmosphere was electric. Bellmont won in the final 2 matches.

Here's the deal...we don't need to have all 3 classes at the same spot.   90% of the fans want to see a specific class...the other 10% can still follow on track.

My idea is it have 3 different gyms host in 3 different parts of the state.   For instance...next year the South will host 3A, Indy will have 2A, and the north will host 1A.   The next year we will rotate.   Should be fairly easy to do.

I was in "wrestling heaven"!!!!!!! I am a mom who has become a big big fan of wrestling. Watching my older boy wrestle was just the beginning and now I am watching my freshman. He has wrestled since kindergarten and now I am enjoying not only watching him, but all the other boys he has wrestled in the past. I thought the venue in Ft Wayne was awesome. It was filled with non-stop action all day!!!! For the first time, I saw teams like Bellmont, Prairie Heights and a few others from the north all under one roof and wrestling at the same place. I just went with the flow. If my sons team moved, I moved right with them and when it was his turn to wrestle, I found a place to watch him. There was so much energy in the room how could you not be excited!!!!!! It was an unbelievable day of wrestling with some of the BEST WRESTLERS in the state. I can't wait till next year!!!!!!!

Love your enthusiasm!

What about Wabash College...They do a great job with scholastic duals in their field house...score keepers in the center plenty of view space and they could clearly add more...Or Joyce ACC at Notre Dame... With the new stand alone hockey facility and Joyce being two large venues they def have lots of room...(they have a wrestling club) maybe some wrestling exposure could help get them to bring their program back...

What about Wabash College...They do a great job with scholastic duals in their field house...score keepers in the center plenty of view space and they could clearly add more...Or Joyce ACC at Notre Dame... With the new stand alone hockey facility and Joyce being two large venues they def have lots of room...(they have a wrestling club) maybe some wrestling exposure could help get them to bring their program back...

Wabash has the room for the mats, but the seating would be bad. Along with restrooms and other facility demands of having 3000 people.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.