Team Rankings: IndianaMat Dual Ranking

decbell1

It would depend on your definition of "competitive."

How come Tonte never won a state title at Speedway when he was there? How come Vega didn't have teams at Andrean like he does at Portage? How come Harper didn't win any state titles at Benton Central?

I always love the comparison to Mater Dei as if since a small private school in a big city can do it, why can't Daleville, South Spencer, North Posey, or Wheeler do it? There can't honestly be 120 "bad' coaches at small schools.  

Y2 , can you please provide  links to to the wrestling clubs of Daleville , South Spencer , North Posey and Wheeler ? 

Edited by M109R

Tri-West is it, I was semi-close

How long was Harper at Benton Central , because it took him 8 years to win a title at Penn . How long was Vega at Andrean ? How many years was Tonte at Speedway compared to Perry ? I believe Fabio already said it would take more time at a small School , but I bet they would be competitive with any school . 

What is your definition of "competitive?" It could mean different things to different people. 

Y2 , can you please provide  links to to the wrestling clubs of Daleville , South Spencer , North Posey and Wheeler ? 

Here is a listing of ISWA clubs in the state

http://www.iswa.com/clubs-by-county/

Wheeler had a club last year, FYI...along with other small schools that aren't exactly state powers. The others that I listed all had clubs within a half hour drive.

Here is a listing of ISWA clubs in the state

http://www.iswa.com/clubs-by-county/

Wheeler had a club last year, FYI...along with other small schools that aren't exactly state powers. The others that I listed all had clubs within a half hour drive.

My point was that before Harper came to Penn , we had no club . In just a couple years of him being the head coach , we had the largest club in the state . And as I'm sure you know , it all starts with club wrestling . If a school has kids starting  in middle school,  they are way behind because the elite programs kids are starting at 5-6 years oid.  the kids you seen on Penn's team last year and this year were some of Harper"s first Club wrestlers . If winning in large schools is so easy , why isn't Ben Davis , Carmel , North Central , Pike , Snider ,etc contending for titles every year ? 

My point was that before Harper came to Penn , we had no club . In just a couple years of him being the head coach , we had the largest club in the state . And as I'm sure you know , it all starts with club wrestling . If a school has kids starting  in middle school,  they are way behind because the elite programs kids are starting at 5-6 years oid.  the kids you seen on Penn's team last year and this year were some of Harper"s first Club wrestlers . If winning in large schools is so easy , why isn't Ben Davis , Carmel , North Central , Pike , Snider ,etc contending for titles every year ? 

It's not easy.  It's easiER.  Those schools you mention have above-average Genius ratings even when they're making no special effort to try to move up the ladder.  When they've had coaches engaging in some of the things Coach Snyder mentioned, they are in the Top 20 or nearby.  

We have a large school but not all of the best athletes wrestle. If we could get the football coaches to encourage their team to wrestle it would be a big difference at our school, instead they play organized intramural basketball in the off-season for team building which is great but they could reap some benefits in their own sport by encouraging the team to wrestle. I run an elementary club for our school and am at every middle school practice and we pour all of our energy into the local program but it's not enough, it takes involved volunteers and parents to get it going and support from the other sports teams at the school. At least around here that's the problem.......in my opinion of course.

I'll say this, at AC we have to compete for the 1A team state and conference. Very few years will we compete for a sectional. There just isn't a big enough pool of athletes to have all our sports going. Wrestling is harder as it has weight classes and a lot of kids are at similar weights. Now if we combined AC with SA and Bellmont and had Adams County HS, we would be able to compete with everyone.

The number of athletes isn't the only problem. Most of the time small schools don't have the resources to stay competitive with large schools. Coaches pay is low, they don't have as many available coaches in the buildings, lower quality weight rooms, no/little access to cardio equipment, no wrestling room, along with a variety of other factors all play in to the struggle to field 14 quality kids at 14 weights.

When you are fighting for practice time with freshman basketball, cheerleading,and drama club your program isn't going to thrive. Not to mention only having one coaching stipend which is often lower than big schools assistant coaches stipends.

Edited by CoachM

I think another thing to consider is that the coaches at small schools who prove themselves are likely to move up to a larger school with more potential for obvious reasons (money, community growth, roster size, room quality, etc). It's a decision you make that involves more than just yourself. It's moving your family to a better option as well.

If I were coaching speedway and a school like Brownsburg or Avon saw me and wanted me, I'd be packing my bags and moving on up like the Jeffersons!

I coach a very small 1a school. I get

The only wrestling coaching stipend, which is less than the assistants of football and girls and boys basketball. I can only have one assistant for high school and one for middle school, no extra volunteers. I understand the small school struggles in a lot of areas, but I know I have to work my hardest and give my team my best effort. And with a but of luck and determination, we will be successful

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.