**PREVIEW** Week of Nov 30 - Dec 5

base

is that further than the ironman?? 

Harrison is a lot closer but that's not the problem.  The Ironman is in Cuyahoga Falls, OH which is  well within the 300 miles distance rule.  The problem with the Ironman is that it has teams from all over the country,  (FL, VA,CA, CO, TX, Etc) where the schools are over 300 miles.

The issue with the Ironman is teams from all across the country are there. Indiana's rules state you cannot participate against those schools outside of 300 miles from our border.

my bad, I thought the rule was that we can't compete at a tournament that is further than 300 miles. Still wish that rule could change. 

Harrison is a lot closer but that's not the problem. The Ironman is in Cuyahoga Falls, OH which is well within the 300 miles distance rule. The problem with the Ironman is that it has teams from all over the country, (FL, VA,CA, CO, TX, Etc) where the schools are over 300 miles.

So even though Harrison Ohio is located only a mile away from the Indiana boarder, if one team that is over 300 miles away from the Indiana boarder attends a meet in Harrison no school from Indiana can attend that meet?

So even though Harrison Ohio is located only a mile away from the Indiana boarder, if one team that is over 300 miles away from the Indiana boarder attends a meet in Harrison no school from Indiana can attend that meet?

That is semi-correct. If a team from Florida comes then the Indiana team just cannot wrestle them, but can wrestle the other teams within the legal distance.. Yorktown got into trouble a couple years ago for an event in Missouri where they wrestled a team outside the 300 mile radius. They were fine wrestling the other "legal" teams.

That is semi-correct. If a team from Florida comes then the Indiana team just cannot wrestle them, but can wrestle the other teams within the legal distance.. Yorktown got into trouble a couple years ago for an event in Missouri where they wrestled a team outside the 300 mile radius. They were fine wrestling the other "legal" teams.

The Missouri event was a dual format, so you could control and schedule who you wrestle.    The Ironman is a tournament bracket,  so the potential to wrestle somebody beyond the 300 mile radius is present in every round.  Thus making it impossible to wrestle this event.    Just curious,  what kind of trouble did Yorktown get into. 

Yorktown High School – (Wrestling team participated against a school that’s address is outside the mileage limitations).  

Commissioner Cox reported the following action as a result of a violation of Rule 10‐1.

1. The Yorktown High School wrestling program is issued a warning.   

2. Due to the fact that the Yorktown wrestling team participated in an event which ultimately violated IHSAA      by‐laws, the 2014‐15 Yorktown wrestling schedule shall be reduced by one event.  Yorktown High School      shall submit the name and date of this event to the IHSAA for confirmation.

Yorktown High School – (Wrestling team participated against a school that’s address is outside the mileage limitations).  

Commissioner Cox reported the following action as a result of a violation of Rule 10‐1.

1. The Yorktown High School wrestling program is issued a warning.   

2. Due to the fact that the Yorktown wrestling team participated in an event which ultimately violated IHSAA      by‐laws, the 2014‐15 Yorktown wrestling schedule shall be reduced by one event.  Yorktown High School      shall submit the name and date of this event to the IHSAA for confirmation.

So the penalty for doing this is losing one event.   I'm thinking hypothetically here.  Say a team went to the Iron Man,  then they get penalized  by choosing one event on their schedule to drop.     I would drop the one night dual event.  You just lose one meet!  This in my opinion would be worth the value in going to the Ironman.

So the penalty for doing this is losing one event.   I'm thinking hypothetically here.  Say a team went to the Iron Man,  then they get penalized  by choosing one event on their schedule to drop.     I would drop the one night dual event.  You just lose one meet!  This in my opinion would be worth the value in going to the Ironman.

that might work for one year, but i predict that there are more serious punishments for repeat offenders 

is this only a wrestling thing in Indiana, or does this apply to all sports???

If it was just a 300 mile travel restriction, it would be a great rule. In fact I'd prefer if they cut it down to 200 or 250 miles. The problem I have is with the restriction on teams that may travel in to the event. If your team's travel is confined to less than 300 miles, why should it matter where a respective team should travel in from to wrestle you there? If some team wants to travel from California to Ohio why should that be a concern of the IHSAA? I’m by no means advocating more travel during school year, but if there is a major national tourney in Indiana’s back yard (Ironman) why shouldn’t a Penn or Mater Dei be able to test their metal with the best?

Just moved to Florida and they have some different rules. Here are some that I know of...

1) Can wrestle in any open tournament during season

2) Two out of state events if connected to Florida or one event outside of connected states..

3) Can attend any open room practice during season. So they can go to any club or academy practice

4) we have 11 way duals on friday-Saturday...leave school on Friday at 1pm, weigh in at 2pm, wrestle at 3pm.....schools are not out till 2:45pm

Edited by DLane
Cleaned up #2

I'd recommend tweeting that to them

I think I have seen this kind of post before from this guy.............He may be seriously a genius !!!! He does have a kind & gentle way of getting to people so maybe he is onto something here.  Worth a try "Westforklife"

Castle Invitational:

Castle and Union County KY both won their pools easily. 

Castle 40-33 over Union County in the finals.  With the first match at 285, there were six lead changes and some really good action including a last match pin for Castle by Jr. Brennan Norman at 220 to ice it.  No surprise upsets except maybe Chance Oxford of Union County (KY #9) over Austin Ramsey of Castle (IN #12 at 132) at 138 6-5.  Saul Ervin (120), Bryce Sheffer (132), Chance Oxford (138), Micah Ervin (145), and Jackson Oxford (152) of Union Co. were a murderers row.  Castle won four of the the last five matches to come from behind and win.  From an unranked standpoint, Castle Sr. Evan Dowell looked great at 170 for Castle all day (he has wrestled up at 182 the last two years).

At Mooresville, New Pal won handily over Homestead in the finals. Plainfield was 3rd, Mooresville 4th, Indian Creek 5th, Greensburg 6th, Greenwood 7th, and Decatur Central 8th. No known upsets here as I believe all the studs were separated in weight and there were few real challenges I saw.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.