Rankings for start of season

Novice Bat

He's ineligable due to the Hotel Yorktown rule where you can check in, but can not check out.

I have know no clue on how eligibility works for IN high school sports.--

Does he live in Yorktown's school district and switched schools or does he live in Frankton's district? 

Is this anything like NCAA rules where Yorktown could release him and he would keep his eligibility?

Edited by Po-Tweet

He has lived in Frankton's district basically forever which includes last year while he attended Yorktown.

Yorktown aka Mr. and Mrs. McCormick blocked the transfer. Berkebile appealed to the IHSAA, but that was denied.

That's rough.   After the appeal, I don't think you have anymore options.     Looks like it will be a long season for Berkebile.

He has lived in Frankton's district basically forever which includes last year while he attended Yorktown.

Yorktown aka Mr. and Mrs. McCormick blocked the transfer. Berkebile appealed to the IHSAA, but that was denied.

So Yorktown accepted him as a transfer last year, but are now blocking blocking his transfer back to his home district? 

I kind of find that hard to believe. All of the people I know involved in youth/high school wrestling are ultimately about the Kids first and promoting the sport second. I just find it hard to believe that any IN High School coach/program would blatantly display such a double standard of "accepting transfer's in and fighting transfers out".

I suspect (hope) it has more to do with some stupid IHSAA rule than Yorktown just being mean spirited.

You are suspecting incorrectly, I have talked to quite a few people involved in this situation at length.

Yorktown has blocked the transfers of both Dru Berkebile and Remo Hiestand and both are ineligible this year. Yorktown and Mr. and Mrs. McCormick could have easily not challenged the transfers and each individual would have been eligible.

I don't see how this helps anybody, situation or the sport and too bad the IHSAA can't see that. Course nothing should surprise me after seeing them come out of the stands several years ago at the NC semi-state and overrule the referees.

How'd you like to be an excited JV wrestler only to see them next in your bracket? (Assuming they are eligible at all).

Upon further review, apparently Berkibile has NO eligibility!!! This is not right and I am stunned...

Edited by RAJR

There certainly is much more to these IHSAA cases than what meets the eye.  The rules being followed are the IHSAA's rules (not Yorktown's rules).  The IHSAA held hearings where the affected parties could explain their situation and present their cases in a personal, face to face setting.  The IHSAA appointed "hearing committee" made their ruling on these cases.  Yorktown did not make the final ruling on these cases.

It certainly is easy to pass judgement from afar.  I can already see, and read, numerous errors, omissions, and false information that is being passed along for public judgment.   As most people are aware, there are always two sides to every story.

There certainly is much more to these IHSAA cases than what meets the eye. The rules being followed are the IHSAA's rules (not Yorktown's rules). The IHSAA held hearings where the affected parties could explain their situation and present their cases in a personal, face to face setting. The IHSAA appointed "hearing committee" made their ruling on these cases. Yorktown did not make the final ruling on these cases.

It certainly is easy to pass judgement from afar. I can already see, and read, numerous errors, omissions, and false information that is being passed along for public judgment. As most people are aware, there are always two sides to every story.

Yes there is much more to the story. Those who follow wrestling in central and east central Indiana know the history. I always thought there were three sides to a story, yours, theirs, and the right one.

Question is why Yorktown wouldn't sign off for a kid going to the school district he always lived in? Especially considering all the transfers and "move ins" Yorktown has had over the years. And yes, I realize it's a rhetorical question.

Edited by RAJR

Yorktown could have released the kids and nothing would have went to the IHSAA. Instead Yorktown decided to fight the transfers and so far has won.

This is coming from a program that willingly accepted a mid-season transfer of a state qualifier just a few short years ago. Along with a future state runner-up that tried to transfer to Yorktown, but had to sit out a year. Or the program that has had two serious IHSAA violations over the past two years.

Even better is I have heard a coach utter phrases like "I think kids should be able to go to whatever school they want without penalty, if they think it's in their best interest."

There certainly is much more to these IHSAA cases than what meets the eye. The rules being followed are the IHSAA's rules (not Yorktown's rules). The IHSAA held hearings where the affected parties could explain their situation and present their cases in a personal, face to face setting. The IHSAA appointed "hearing committee" made their ruling on these cases. Yorktown did not make the final ruling on these cases.

It certainly is easy to pass judgement from afar. I can already see, and read, numerous errors, omissions, and false information that is being passed along for public judgment. As most people are aware, there are always two sides to every story.

Thanks for weighing in coach. As I stated earlier I suspected this issue was with the IHSAA and the IHSAA rules were up held.

Just to clarify did Yorktown or any associated with the program initiate the IHSAA involvement? Or more importantly, is there anything Yorktown could do or could have done to permit the eligibility of these kids?

Jackson, Carroll, Vanhorn, Phillips, Baysinger, Walker, Laughlin, Rench

These were all legit move ins for Yorktown right(?) because there is no way with such high ethics that Yorktown would let these kids come just for wrestling purposes.  

Very ironic that they would block the Hiestands when it was the Hiestands who let Vanhorn live with them while wrestling for Yorktown.  I guess when you move mid-semester you are allowed to move in with another wrestling family and claim them as your own.  That's not breaking any IHSAA rules though is it??????????  

Blocking kids for your own Pride.  Quality!

There certainly is much more to these IHSAA cases than what meets the eye.  The rules being followed are the IHSAA's rules (not Yorktown's rules).  The IHSAA held hearings where the affected parties could explain their situation and present their cases in a personal, face to face setting.  The IHSAA appointed "hearing committee" made their ruling on these cases.  Yorktown did not make the final ruling on these cases.

It certainly is easy to pass judgement from afar.  I can already see, and read, numerous errors, omissions, and false information that is being passed along for public judgment.   As most people are aware, there are always two sides to every story.

Did Yorktown release them? Yes or no?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.