Junior/Senior World Team Trials

MattM

Junior Division

Riley Lefever in the semi-finals of the challenge tournament. He will have a very tough Chandler Rodgers next.

Micic just won to make the finals of the challenge tournament. He gets Jack Muller next with the winner advancing to face Daton Fix in the best of 3 finals. Fix surprised many by beating Micic in the Junior Open finals.

Edited by MattM

Micic over Fix in two straight to make the Junior World team.

Lefever battles back to take 3rd in the challenge tournament.

Lefever actually ends up winning by medical forfeit for true 3rd place for the entire event also (true 2nd for the challenge tournament). 

Lefever actually ends up winning by medical forfeit for true 3rd place for the entire event also (true 2nd for the challenge tournament).

Good to hear (the placement not the circumstances). I believe top 3 traditionally are invited to the additional training camps and are sometimes asked to attend some of the other overseas competitions.

Challenge tournament seeds for Indiana background wrestlers today: #4 Miracle (55kg), #2 Hildebrandt (55kg), and #2 Howe (74kg).  All would have to win the tourney plus a best of 3 against the waiting US National champ.

Howe would have to beat Dake and Taylor back to back before needing to beat Jordan Burroughs in a best of 3.  Fun day to look forward to if you're a competitor like him.

Humphreys will await the winner of the Challenge tournament for his weight.

And NBC Sports Channel/Universal Network will show the Team Trial finals tonight at 6:30. I wouls assume at lest most of today's finals with possibly some highlights from yesterday's best of 3 competition.

Edited by MattM

Dake wins a close one over Howe due to his slick takedown defense. He will get Taylor in challenge match finals with winner to takedown Burroughs.

That leaves Humphrey as the last IN wrestler left with a world team chance. He won't wrestle until tonight's best of 3 series.

Edited by MattM

Humphrey will have Dan Dennis in World Team Trial Finals.

Hildebrandt edges out Miracle in a back and forth match to move to the 3rd place match of the challenge tournament.

In the premier WTT weight class Dake's solid win over Taylor will given him another crack at Burroughs in finals.

Edited by MattM

Howe makes the challenge tournament 3rd place match after mounting a 2nd period comeback against high school stud Valencia. Valencia's "no fear" approach against much more seasoned senior level guys will make him someone to watch for in next the Olympic cycle.

Howe wins 3rd place match in the challenge tournament and will get a shot at Taylor for true second.

Hildebrandt takes 3rd as well and will go for true 2nd too.

Big match for both as the top 3 overall (two best of 3 finalist and challenge true 2nd) get more support from USA wrestling and sent to more overseas events.

Edited by MattM

Hump shows out big, beats Dennis in 2 matches, makes the world team. What an elite level freak of nature. Go get 'em, Reece!

It's such a tragedy that he's been the best in America at his weight for 4 of the last 5 years, but got beat out by one peak year from Scott in the Olympic year and now his weight is gone from the Olympics for next year. I hope he can finally break through and get a world medal...then he could put the non-Olympic lower weight fully behind him and concentrate on adding the long-term extra bone density and muscle mass he'll need to compete with Metcalf, Oliver, Pico, etc. for an Olympic spot at 143 next year. 

Edited by maligned

It's such a tragedy that he's been the best in America at his weight for 4 of the last 5 years, but got beat out by one peak year from Scott in the Olympic year and now his weight is gone from the Olympics for next year. I hope he can finally break through and get a world medal...then he could put the non-Olympic lower weight fully behind him and concentrate on adding the long-term extra bone density and muscle mass he'll need to compete with Metcalf, Oliver, Pico, etc. for an Olympic spot at 143 next year. 

I really hope he can get it done this year. 65 kilos is a tall order for anyone in the country next year. 65kg will have Metcalf, Kennedy, Oliver, Pico, Humphrey, Steiber, Russell, Scott, Maple, and Dennis as just the "contenders"  I also wonder how Andrew Howe could do at 86 kilos.

I really hope he can get it done this year. 65 kilos is a tall order for anyone in the country next year. 65kg will have Metcalf, Kennedy, Oliver, Pico, Humphrey, Steiber, Russell, Scott, Maple, and Dennis as just the "contenders"  I also wonder how Andrew Howe could do at 86 kilos.

Howe, Dake, and Taylor are all between a rock and a hard spot at 74/86. You have the best in the world in your weight at 74 or you can put on 20lbs and challenge for 86kg. Herbert looked really good this weekend, so that may be a bigger task that you'd think. 

Maligned, I can't begin to tell you how bummed I was when Reece lost to Coleman Scott to make the London team. I knew it would be the one Olympics I would attend in person, and seeing Reece, after following his career from HS freshman on, would've been amazing. On top of that, I didn't love Scott's chances to medal. The red-hot Scott proved me dead wrong, but I still wonder how great it would've been to see Hump in front of those insane Iranian and North Korean fans. He is built for high level freestyle, but as you and others said, he has his work cut out for him to make the Olympics with the weight class disposals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.