Baltimore is on Fire

Ed Pendoski

The other night I was getting ready to have some before bed TV time with EVP. She noticed from the .4 seconds that she caught CNN that they were covering what was happening in Baltimore.  Of course that was long enough for her to start asking about why there are people starting fires.

Now, try to explain that one to your 7 yr old daughter!

Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about what happened in Baltimore, but from the little I've heard it's because there was a death and it was done by a policeman.

I also am under the impression that there was a peaceful protest, but turned into full blown riot.

Someone died in Baltimore.  That's tragic.

People were pissed off about it and started rioting.  That's tragic.

What happened was wrong, and the over-reaction was wrong in Baltimore.

I am far from the guy who is going to enter any of the arguments going on this week about Indiana wrestling.  I have opinions about all of them, but I'm not overly passionate about any of them.

What I am passionate about is Indiana wrestling and it's need to stay together as one organization and for all of us to work with our one organization.  

I promise you that the ISWA has pissed me off severely in the my career by dumb decisions that have been made.  I still believe that we have the best state organization in America.  It's the best in the country because we have one group.  We do not have AAU, MYWAY, USA, etc.

I do feel passionate enough to say that I think the freestyle state qualifier was wrong.  I also think not 100% enforcing the rules is wrong.  I also think if they would have enforced the rule 100% it would have been wrong.

I can't think of any other outcome that the ISWA could have made here besides those three choices.  

Maybe they chose the path that, at this moment, they thought was the best.  Maybe it is the best choice?  Maybe it's the worst choice?  

I do know that the ISWA is a large group of people that have only made decisions that they thought, at that time, was best for Indiana wrestling.

I hope that decisions like this can never 'start a riot' and split Indiana into multiple organizations.  

Sounds good. The iswa could clear this whole thing up with one post to iswa.com or the iswa Facebook page or IndianaMat. They aren't answering our emails so it mass confusion. A simple communication would go along way. Without more information, I wonder if folks will split.

Sounds good. The iswa could clear this whole thing up with one post to iswa.com or the iswa Facebook page or IndianaMat. They aren't answering our emails so it mass confusion. A simple communication would go along way. Without more information, I wonder if folks will split.

Exactly. One mea culpa or "we misread our constituents" and we could all move forward. Instead we get silence and can only have our issues fester and that is exactly what's at the root of Baltimore and elsewhere. Thank you, Coach P, for thoughtfully articulating what a lot are feeling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.