ISWA Big Kids Sate

noturk4u

Thank you once again to the ISWA for a great tournament.  Many people I talked to were impressed by the efficiency of the tournament (thanks Track Wrestling), but ultimately made possible by the volunteers of the ISWA.  I do have one perplexing complaint.  Why have so many qualified state finals officials present and then not use them in the championship mats????  I don't get it.  I mean kudos to all the refs who worked the tournament, but why don't we still have the best officials working the toughest matches.  I watched a "TON" of championship matches, and I think I saw only 1 IHSAA state official.  I'm not going to go on a rant of all the inequities I witnessed, but seriously...if you get the best guys there to work the meet by all means USE THEM.

I also agree for the most part the tournament was well ran.  Just a few things I noticed........there was no improved or increased check in time on Friday night.  That line is a killer and you just watch kids walk by and go to the front (very frustrating).  Secondly, although it was nice to get done by noon, I cannot imagine how tired my son was after wrestling 6 matches in a little over 3 hours.  I had another Junior that had same amount of kids in their bracket that wrestled 3 times in the same time frame.  A 15 min rule might be okay for 1 match, but when the 15 min rule is being used for 3 matches that is a lot of wrestling in a short period of time.

Thank you once again to the ISWA for a great tournament.  Many people I talked to were impressed by the efficiency of the tournament (thanks Track Wrestling), but ultimately made possible by the volunteers of the ISWA.  I do have one perplexing complaint.  Why have so many qualified state finals officials present and then not use them in the championship mats????  I don't get it.  I mean kudos to all the refs who worked the tournament, but why don't we still have the best officials working the toughest matches.  I watched a "TON" of championship matches, and I think I saw only 1 IHSAA state official.  I'm not going to go on a rant of all the inequities I witnessed, but seriously...if you get the best guys there to work the meet by all means USE THEM.

That's all on me, as, the director of officials. In the past I've made it a point to move officials around and utilize as many as possible on the championship mat. Quite honestly, I just overlooked it. I had some issues with a few inexperienced officials and I was focusing on watching those mats/matches and moving things around with them as needed. I just flat overlooked it. That being said, not one single issue was brought to my attention involving the championship mat on either day. However, the officials who dedicated their time this past weekend certainly deserved the consideration of working in on the championship mat and I apologize to them for my shortcomings in leadership. I promise it won't happen again. I have worked very hard and have been successful in recruiting some of the best officials in the state to buy into the ISWA program to serve as mentors to younger inexperienced officials at our state final events and I don't want to lose any of the headway I've made in that effort. My apologies to all...!!!

Would you please provide some examples or perhaps the matches where you witnessed inequities so that we may use these for training purposes in the future. If you can give me the names of the wrestlers or the age group and weight class that would be great. USA Wrestling's Officials Association (USWOA) does focus on grass roots programs along with national and international level officiating. We provide extensive training and educational programs for referees both in folkstyle and the international styles. The examples that you provide would not only benefit our referees, but they would also benefit our athletes enabling us to make the correct calls. 

Tom Clark

Vice President

USWOA

Would you please provide some examples or perhaps the matches where you witnessed inequities so that we may use these for training purposes in the future. If you can give me the names of the wrestlers or the age group and weight class that would be great. USA Wrestling's Officials Association (USWOA) does focus on grass roots programs along with national and international level officiating. We provide extensive training and educational programs for referees both in folkstyle and the international styles. The examples that you provide would not only benefit our referees, but they would also benefit our athletes enabling us to make the correct calls. 

Tom Clark

Vice President

USWOA

I tried to send a private message with a situation but got error msg "no msgs being accepted"? I'd rather not put the instance on the board.

Schoolboy 175 1st round consos - Skylar Lee Madison vs....not sure, Lee got pinned in an illegal headlock. I alerted the ref twice it was illegal, I then started walking onto the mat to show him it was illegal, only to have a pinfall called. It was in the cafeteria. 

There were 9 in the weight class, so loser of that match went home and winner advanced.

I guess you could demonstrate ref's position when in a headlock position and what an illegal headlock (no arm) vs. a legal headlock (has arm) would look like in that instance. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.