No love for the north

Not many people in northern Indiana are feeling much love from the iswa these days.  We've got the freestyle state qualification of 2 tourneys.  Most people up north won't be able to qualify.  Portage was added but that's same weekend as Iron Eagle.  We were told the iswa would say something about this, but not a word.  Now they show the bus trip to UNI for folkstyle nationals leaves Indianapolis but won't stop in northern Indiana.  Big help for southern and central Indiana.  No help for the north.  What is happening?

HYWA is the Enemy?

I was somewhat being sarcastic, but things do seem kind of different the last 5-6 years.  If memory serves me, this is about when HYWAY moved into the North. 

I don't have a problem with either.  My son wrestles in both, well maybe not Freestyle state this year which is sad since he is a defending state freestyle champ.

But we have been working on what a "gut wrench" is and how to counter it......

You guys in the North are a lot closer to Indy than we are in SW Indiana.  You're being a little ridiculous. 

Don't know how close you are, but it takes us over 3 hours to get to Indianapolis.  To wrestle in a iswa freestyle tournament in Indianapolis requires getting a hotel.  NOt saying you're close, but we aren't either.

Don't know how close you are, but it takes us over 3 hours to get to Indianapolis. To wrestle in a iswa freestyle tournament in Indianapolis requires getting a hotel. NOt saying you're close, but we aren't either.

3 hours for us too.

Big help for southern and central Indiana.  No help for the north.  What is happening?

I didn't realize the ISWA was going out of the way to help the southern end of the state.  The reason we have more local tournaments dates is because the people of the area have keep the local tournaments well attended enough (it could be better) to keep them operating each year. Heck some schools that host these events in the south are more spread out in location than many areas of the north.  And as mentioned above parts of the south are just as much of a drive to the Indy area as parts of the north.  I'm not seeing any of this as the ISWA doing more in the south than they are doing in the north.  While not perfect the south has just kept things going in a way where we are not seeing the issue that you seem be having in some northern areas.  Doesn't seem to be related to the ISWA favoring or not favoring any spectific area.

Edited by MattM

I posted this on another thread.  

What is fair to the kids?  Requiring kids to participate in two tournaments when they don't have access to two tournaments in the north is not fair.  This rule deliberately disenfranchises kids in northern Indiana.

For those of you who live in and around Indy, imagine if the ISWA told you that you must drive and get a hotel in Evansville for folkstyle state, and come to Evansville for freestyle state, and then after you have spent all day at a Saturday Indianapolis high school tournament you need to drive to Evansville and back on a Sunday for a board meeting.  And btw, we have changed the rules about qualifying for freestyle state so you must travel down to Evansville at least 2 more times this year to get local qualifying tournaments.  And then when you voice concern about having to drive from your home in Indy to Evansville so many times and spend so much money, those responsible for creating the situation tell you the problem is that you don't participate enough and attend enough board meetings down in Evansville.  That would be quite an insulting way to treat you. 

Having more tournaments in the North is the answer. Find some local sponsors, get hooked up with track wrestling and have a tournament. With the lack of tournaments up there it should also help your club generate some cash flow that will help the kids as well. If you need help getting a tournament together I'm sure that some folks from this forum would be glad to help you get it up and running.

Should the north also offer its own bus trip to UNI?

Why? Drive to Indy like the rest of the state does. Is that too difficult? We drive our kids to Indy for these trips. It's 3 hours for us. Your drive can't be further than that!

In reply to D'sDad post.......

No..that's not the answer. The answer is "mandating" one tourney not two.

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked back in but your "answer" is incorrect. Lets say there are 6 weekends to fit in these 2 mandates and give you there are tourneys all over the north, now take out 2 weekends of Spring break (sorry kids can't go anywhere this year the ISWA mandated 2 fs/gk tourneys!) and I have 4 weekends to fit in 2. Doable?? Yes in a vacuum of no other family members or obligations or national tourneys, but still not understanding how that's going to increase the number of kids in my kids weight class at state. Last year that was 3! We were out of the gym by 10am Saturday! Gave me alot of time to stalk the ponies for the KY derby later that day but as far as bang for the buck wrestling action it was a bummer.

Edited by UncleJimmy

It isn't not wanting to wrestle it is the competition level doesn't get to a point that its worth it until FS/GR State. For example Nick Lee is a returning Pan American Champion. Is it worth his time to go to the local tournaments? Realistically the answer is no. His goal is to be an Olympic Champion he has made that clear so he will end up doing the 2 qualifiers but only because he is being forced to. He would be better off spending that time and money required to do that to go train at one of the OTC's. But in order to wrestle the biggest FS/GR tourney in the country he has to show up and wrestle 1-3 matches and waste a weekend he could have gotten better. This

Indiana's biggest studs will do the 2 qualifiers they will make it happen. Just because that is the only way to go to Duals or Fargo (Not sure if Jr's have too since its a committee selection) But your telling the middle of the road guys hey come wrestle the same guys 2 weeks in a row  when they could be out at Camps or national tournaments that offer better looks and partners.

People here know my thoughts on FS/GR but I am not stupid. For our studs who make it clear what they want to accomplish I'm running fs/gr workouts to prepare them. That number isn't huge but I am not going to force my kids to do something when there are arguable better training opportunities out there. 

Just my 2 cents. 

It isn't not wanting to wrestle it is the competition level doesn't get to a point that its worth it until FS/GR State. For example Nick Lee is a returning Pan American Champion. Is it worth his time to go to the local tournaments? Realistically the answer is no. His goal is to be an Olympic Champion he has made that clear so he will end up doing the 2 qualifiers but only because he is being forced to. He would be better off spending that time and money required to do that to go train at one of the OTC's. But in order to wrestle the biggest FS/GR tourney in the country he has to show up and wrestle 1-3 matches and waste a weekend he could have gotten better. This

Indiana's biggest studs will do the 2 qualifiers they will make it happen. Just because that is the only way to go to Duals or Fargo (Not sure if Jr's have too since its a committee selection) But your telling the middle of the road guys hey come wrestle the same guys 2 weeks in a row  when they could be out at Camps or national tournaments that offer better looks and partners.

People here know my thoughts on FS/GR but I am not stupid. For our studs who make it clear what they want to accomplish I'm running fs/gr workouts to prepare them. That number isn't huge but I am not going to force my kids to do something when there are arguable better training opportunities out there. 

Just my 2 cents. 

To play devils advocate here, when you talk about why would a stud go to a lower level tourney is his ultimate goal to be Olympic champion.  Wouldn't the required 2 qualifiers the ISWA has placed before us be just like kids wrestling at Sectionals for the IHSAA tourney.  By your logic then any wrestler that is ranked in state or a top tier wrestler shouldn't have to wrestle until he gets to strong comp maybe around semi-state or state?  I currently have no problem with a qualifier but if it turns out that in two years the #'s haven't increased then I wouldn't be opposed to modifying it.

I see both sides here. ISWA is trying to build a stronger base at the local tournament level which would hopefully help more kids get in more freestyle matches before the state finals. Hopefully this would improve some of the overall depth of freestyle in Indiana. Plus they're trying to keep kids local and the money involved at the local clubs, instead of the giant tournament and money makers. 

I see why some people oppose as they want better competition else where. It's more and better competition at the bigger tournaments. 

As a smaller club, I see no problem with it, as it will get our guys our wrestling more local tournaments, when they probably wouldn't have to begin with. We only have a couple that go to the big tournaments, but they'll find a way to get in 2 tournaments if they need to. 

To play devils advocate here, when you talk about why would a stud go to a lower level tourney is his ultimate goal to be Olympic champion.  Wouldn't the required 2 qualifiers the ISWA has placed before us be just like kids wrestling at Sectionals for the IHSAA tourney.  By your logic then any wrestler that is ranked in state or a top tier wrestler shouldn't have to wrestle until he gets to strong comp maybe around semi-state or state?  I currently have no problem with a qualifier but if it turns out that in two years the #'s haven't increased then I wouldn't be opposed to modifying it.

Didn't we already try making tournaments mandatory.  It isn't like this is a new concept.  This concept was in affect during the last 10 years (at least), up to a few years ago. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.