Some more stats from 2015 State

oldandbroke

Using the newest enrollment numbers and this years tourney results.

Class                       3A          2A             1A

# schools with 

at least one SQ       62          36              19

State qualifiers       141         62              21

Champs                   13          1               0

2nd                          11          2               1

3rd                            8           6               0

4th                            9           3               2

5th                           10          4               0

6th                           10          3               1

7th                           11          3               0

8th                           12         1                1

total medals             84         23              5

About 75% of State placers were from 3A, 20.5% from 2A, 4.5% from 1A.

But if we split the wrestlers evenly by class at 101 per class per weight as we have, then there shouldn't be that large of a variance. Since the argument has always been that regardless of school size every wrestler has the same chance. If you break down each weight class by enrollment class using the number of state qualifiers you really see that the chances of a kid from a little school being a state placer let alone a state champion are slim.

But if we split the wrestlers evenly by class at 101 per class per weight as we have, then there shouldn't be that large of a variance. Since the argument has always been that regardless of school size every wrestler has the same chance. If you break down each weight class by enrollment class using the number of state qualifiers you really see that the chances of a kid from a little school being a state placer let alone a state champion are slim.

The small school kids just don't work hard, that has to be it.

#BigSchoolsRule

#DownWithSmallSchools

Things are where they should be. You want to compare a big school JV guy who has wrestled for a few years vs a small school varsity guy wrestling his first year to fill a spot? Big schools are set up to have more qualifiers because they have more guys and more experience to pull from. These stats are what they should be.

I'm for class wrestling not because these stats should be equal but because these stats show it is unfair.

Two classes you know this

Showing three classes shows how much the bottom 100 teams are struggling. Wait you think they are doing great...forgot about that. Obviously you can't even see that the top 100 schools get more state placers than the other 200 get state qualifiers, but in your fantasy world that is fine.

Two classes you know this

Showing three classes shows how much the bottom 100 teams are struggling. Wait you think they are doing great...forgot about that. Obviously you can't even see that the top 100 schools get more state placers than the other 200 get state qualifiers, but in your fantasy world that is fine.

i was really questioning this especially since there where 3 wrestler of the year awards, 1 for each of 3 individual classes

I don't usually get into many discussions on here, especially about class wrestling. I just feel like we are too divided and no matter how I express my point, I'm never going to convince those that believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I for one love our individual state finals and I really enjoyed our experience at team state this year. But...our individual finals is broken. When you have the disparity we have in SQ and place winners that we have, something is wrong.

I'll give you an example that is not wrestling related. My daughter qualified with her 200 relay team for the swim state finals this year. She's a fine swimmer and works her tail off, so did her teammates! They were seeded 32 and finished 29th. Rochester was the smallest school represented at state in ANY events! Twin Lakes was the second smallest. Everyone one else were 4A and 5A schools. If it was classed my daughter and her team would have been state champs in the 200 free relay. No other times from small schools were even close. They, our school, and her mom and I would have been just fine with that because they put in the work to be that good. The issue is we don't have the same resources that the Carmels, Penns, etc have. We just don't. That's not a matter of opinion...its a fact because I live it. We provide her with every opportunity we can but we can't provide her with what the Carmel Swim club can provide its' kids. If you think sports like wrestling and swimming shouldn't be classed, then you just dont get it or you don't care to.

Tomorrow Rochester will play Tippy Valley for the class 2A semi state bball title and I'll bet anyone we have more fans in attendance for the little ole 2A game then you will for any other game in the state. Over 5,000 tickets have been pre sold and they are not sure there will be enough parking at Warsaw HS (5A) school. Class all sports, give the small schools a chance to build their brand, and I think you'll see some great stuff happen in Indiana Wrestling. As an association we can get this done if we get on the same page!!

Edited by Clint Gard

Lol...still am. 2 day event. Started at 10am this morning. The team race is tight. Kids, coaches, and teams are fighting for everything. Great celebrations, disappointing heartbreak...the whole thing you'd expect from a great wrestling event. Guys I'm telling you right now, that Rocky Burkett and the Aberdeen Central Eagles don't give two craps that this is a classed event. They want to win their 2nd state title! Its a great venue. Very similar to bankers life...I'm enjoying life in a suite as I type this. Fans are great and into following their teams.

I'll add to the whining by telling another story.  Last spring I coached a girls 4x100 meter relay team that finished 19th in the state out of 27.  Our time was the fastest in the history of the state for a school under 500 students from the research that I have done.  I know its crazy to think that those 4 girls deserve a little more recognition than to say they got 19th out of 27.  Track, much like swimming and wrestling is not in a healthy condition at smaller schools.

I'll add to the whining by telling another story.  Last spring I coached a girls 4x100 meter relay team that finished 19th in the state out of 27.  Our time was the fastest in the history of the state for a school under 500 students from the research that I have done.  I know its crazy to think that those 4 girls deserve a little more recognition than to say they got 19th out of 27.  Track, much like swimming and wrestling is not in a healthy condition at smaller schools.

Beat me to it.  Had just put down my piece of pizza to type the same thing.  And that's to say nothing of the girls' individual efforts.....

Here is more information for you even though it will prove NOTHING because you can't fathom bigger schools having any advantages

Qualifiers

1A 43 or 19.2%

2A 181 or 80.8%

Placers

1A 13 or 11.6%

2A 99 or 88.4%

Student population %

1A 23%

2A 77%

thank you !

Does this teach as valuable real life lessons? Does the small company get the sales contract just because they are small and work hard? Sorry, I just hate seeing the everyone gets a trophy being discussed about the best state tournament in Indiana.

Small companies and big companies have different rules to play by, different tax brackets, different laws they have to follow. The real world is classed whether you want to face the reality or not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.