High School Coaches pay

anskinne

I am trying to persuade administration to provide an additional stipend for wrestling so I can at least attempt to keep quality coaches. We currently receive one Head coach stipend and one assistant coach stipend.

Head ~$5000

Assistant ~$2500

If you could please reply if you know what your school offers your coaches. It would be helpful to know the school as well. If you are not comfortable putting your information on a public forum please feel free to email information to skinnera@bcsc.k12.in.us. Please put coaching stipend in the title.

Many are stating my pay is good enough. Let me ask you this then. Is your pay the same as other sports that only coach 10 to 15 kids? We have the same numbers as a soccer, baseball, and softball. They are given 3 stipends. In my corporation we are classified with golf and tennis. I find it hard to believe that only 2 stipends is status quo for a 6A school.

Edited by anskinne

It's a pretty good pay.. At our school, the money is often taken out of our own pockets and then given to those who help. Its hard enough to get good help, let alone keep them from leaving. At the end of the day it's all for the kids so if I can help with gas this week or next week along with giving a few hundred bucks at the end of the year it's all worth it.

Riddle me this, the basketball team has less than half the number of athletes than we do on the team. Have had 1 winning season since 06' and their coaches get paid almost double than what the wrestling coaches do..

Coaches aren't going to leave because of pay. Most realize that the pay isn't the reason they are coaching. 

You make a valid point, but it is a lot easier to tell the wife/husband and kids, "Hey, I am going to go spend some time with other people's children" if you are at least bringing a token paycheck home. 

I suppose my wife "knew what she was getting into".

As did mine, but some head coaches are starting from scratch trying to build a staff.  Not everyone is like you and I and decides they want to start coaching as soon as they step off the mat for the last time...some people find that out later...so the wife doesn't realize what she's getting into.  Thus, a little something might make the negotiations a bit easier. 

Its definitely not about the pay BUT, as with anything its nice to be compensated for your time..The ultimate reward is yes seeing the kids grow knowing that us coaches made a difference in some of the lives that may have never happened and because of that i feel wrestling coaches build a more personal relationship with our athletes than ANY other sport..With that we tend to be more than a coach in the room we become role models outside and some of us father figures for those less fortunate...So to be compensated the same as others doing what we do is more than fair in my opinion as well as MOST of us have more athletes per coach than all other sports!!!

Edited by fanatic46041

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.