Merrillville needs a new announcer

fanatic46041

Where else could it be hosted? That place is way too over crowded! I look at Evansville and ft Wayne and they both have great venues where you can watch great wrestling and be seated comfortable

Is this a rumor is it it true. I was told this wasn't even their main gym but their aux gym?

Announcer is boring... You could easily find someone else who has a little more excitement. Especially during the cross over.

I attended the semistate yesterday I got there at the beginning of the ticket round. It was a struggle to see the mats directly below as I was sitting in the bleachers opposite the scorers table. That can certainly be frustrating, i had to run down and fanagle a spot standing up to see Sopko/Schurg and Rodriguez/Lukaszka which I really wanted to see. After the ticket round it's like a different venue because they can pull out the bleachers. All that being said I thought it was a decent experience and I have no complaints about the announcer, I mean sure he could've researched a bit and been able to read the names a bit better but I guess the announcer is an afterthought for me.

To me one great thing about a cramped venue is when the crown gets rocking. The Covaciu/Lawrence match as well as Black/Reitz had that place rocking and that was pretty cool. Sure it would be nice if the place had double the seats but it's got some charm if you've seen your share of SS events there.

I

Edited by Silvertone1696

I have to agree they do a very good job logistically. But after 35 years, this tournament has just out grown the venue. It's just that simple. Each of the other semi state venues are far more suitable. Everyone involved needs to put PERSONAL interest aside and just do the right thing. I've heard VU(valpo university) or East Chicago( one of 5 largest venues in the US). Im not sure about VU, but East Chicago would seet 2000+ more spectators and far more convenient facilities and access.

Edited by MCKAJC

Especially when they announced (in the finals) Steven and he said under his breath through the microphone uhhh Lawrence you didnt put your last name...SERIOUSLY!!!! SOMEONE told you what it was just say it, its this kids time to shine not make a big deal of it....i about took the microphone away from him and jazzed it up a bit at least got the kids hearts pumping and the crowd excited for it....GUYS GOTTA GO!!!!

While I realize Merrillville isn't a "centralized" location, it is at least conviently located a few blocks from I 65. East Chicago would be quite a drive for everyone. Valpo U would be fantastic but owning the ARC on a Saturday this time of year would be difficult.

East Chicago Central is about 1.5-2 miles off of Cline Ave and I94. The Indiana toll road is even closer. South Shore commuter is 2-3 miles away.

Just did the directions. 2.2 from toll road.

Edited by MCKAJC

Too far, some teams "Mine" are already 2 1/2 hours away....My question is, is MERRILLVILLE the biggest gym in that area?

I may be wrong abouy this by im pretty sure KV has a huge gym, but it's in the middle of nowhere. I think St Joseph's might be a reasonable idea but Valpo U would be the most ideal, IMO.

KV does have a pretty big gym but I don't think they could handle a SS. Just thinking about the biggest schools in the Merrillville SS.

Penn

Merrillville

Valparaiso

Portage

Chesterton

LaPorte

Michigan City

Chesterton

Lake Central

Hobart

Munster

Lafayette Jefferson

West Lafayette Harrison

Lafayette McCutcheon

Warsaw

Mishawaka

East Chicago

Highland/Logansport (I guess)

Kankakee Valley/Lowell are also reasonably sized

From this list I just don't know if there really is a better suitor in terms of a high school. We wouldn't know unless some different schools were used I suppose.

Until the AD in the pink shoes is gone, we're wasting our breath. They do run a great tourney, announcer is terrible (being able to read should be a prerequisite), it's cramped, but the product is great.

How does an AD determine if their school is a sufficient venue for the Northwest Quadrant of Indiana ? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.